S-Flex, which version to buy?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

syrian_gamer

S-Flex, which version to buy?

Post by syrian_gamer » Tue May 26, 2009 10:33 am

I am planning on purchasing the S-Flex fan after reading the guide on this page

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article69 ... html#sflex

Now I have one problem, i dont know which one to buy. The S-Flex comes in 3 formats, 800 RPM (SFF21D), 1,200 RPM (SFF21E), and 1,600 RPM (SFF21F).

Now from what i can see, all 3 fans seem to move about 23 CFM at 20dBa each. So my question would be, why not go with the 1200 or 1600 rpm version? If i could have the same quietness amongst all 3 fans at a low voltage, and using a fan controller crank it to a higher voltage, wouldnt it be better to get the 1600 rpm (ie im doing office work, keep the fans on low. When im playing crysis and my pc gets hot, put the fans on high)

What do you guys think. Are these fans just made for people w/o fan controllers? When you look at the highest setting for the 1200 rpm fan, it seems to be the 2nd highest setting on the 1600 rpm fan. So is it just the same fan but with the ability to go to a higher setting?

Would i have any problems with the 1600 rpm fan or should i go with the 1200 rpm?

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Tue May 26, 2009 10:46 am

Yeah the 800 is a fit and forget solution for those wanting to use 12V and not bother with a controller. It's also an option for those wanting to undervolt it and have a ridiculously slow, essentially silent fan.

Go for the 1200. Unless you have a PC made entirely of steaming hot magma you shouldn't need the 1600 either for the CPU or exhaust.

KansaKilla
Friend of SPCR

Post by KansaKilla » Tue May 26, 2009 11:40 am

^ what he said.

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Tue May 26, 2009 12:12 pm

here is a pic of my rig

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p= ... tcount=465

Yes, i have cat fans :cry: i thought they were actually silent. Live and learn. Anyways What is the actual difference between the 1200 and 1600 versions then? if they both have the same noise when turned down, why wouldn't you recommend me the 1600 rpm version? Just because it will probably be way to loud and unbearable and thus useless :D ?

lm
Friend of SPCR

Post by lm » Tue May 26, 2009 12:14 pm

I've the 800 and a TRUE cooling my Q9450 @ stock in a P182. No problems there.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Tue May 26, 2009 2:01 pm

syrian_gamer wrote:why wouldn't you recommend me the 1600 rpm version? Just because it will probably be way to loud and unbearable and thus useless :D ?
Not really; but I would say you get a bigger "silent" range with the 1200 so unless you really need the higher CFM of the 1600 the 1200 is the logical choice.

Zeroignite

Post by Zeroignite » Tue May 26, 2009 8:32 pm

I was just shopping for a new rig, and I think that I'm gonna buy the 1,600 rpm version. My reasoning that all of them have the same basic noise/airflow ratio, and all of them can be undervolted to silent. However, the lower speed versions cannot cool the pile of magma. I will be using a continuous fan controller, so it seems logical to me to use a fan with better peak and similar enough bottom performance. That way, I can have an overclock for games, but run at a quiet, low-heat mode for word/internet.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Wed May 27, 2009 11:16 am

Zeroignite wrote:I was just shopping for a new rig, and I think that I'm gonna buy the 1,600 rpm version. My reasoning that all of them have the same basic noise/airflow ratio, and all of them can be undervolted to silent. However, the lower speed versions cannot cool the pile of magma. I will be using a continuous fan controller, so it seems logical to me to use a fan with better peak and similar enough bottom performance. That way, I can have an overclock for games, but run at a quiet, low-heat mode for word/internet.
I have my Q9550 clocked to 2.83GHz and the 800rpm S-Flex I have cooling it never goes above 500rpm. Right now I've got all 4 cores doing video conversion and the fan's at 360rpm.

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Wed May 27, 2009 2:24 pm

blackworx wrote:
Zeroignite wrote:I was just shopping for a new rig, and I think that I'm gonna buy the 1,600 rpm version. My reasoning that all of them have the same basic noise/airflow ratio, and all of them can be undervolted to silent. However, the lower speed versions cannot cool the pile of magma. I will be using a continuous fan controller, so it seems logical to me to use a fan with better peak and similar enough bottom performance. That way, I can have an overclock for games, but run at a quiet, low-heat mode for word/internet.
I have my Q9550 clocked to 2.83GHz and the 800rpm S-Flex I have cooling it never goes above 500rpm. Right now I've got all 4 cores doing video conversion and the fan's at 360rpm.
yes but what temperatures are you getting? hows your airflow? can you boil and egg with your computer, etc. all these things need to be factored i supposed.

In any case im still waiting on my 1200 rpm s-flex fans. will post back once they're installed. and they better be quieter then my cat fans :evil:

theycallmebruce

Post by theycallmebruce » Wed May 27, 2009 10:56 pm

I went for the 1500 RPM models using similar reasoning to you - they can still spin right down and be very quiet, but if you need to cool something that's getting hot you can still crank them up if you want.

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Thu May 28, 2009 8:14 am

Yeah i just recieved my 1200 rpm fans (1 buisness day shipping from BC to QC 8) ) got them installed and i kinda wish they would have more airflow on the high end. However i did purchase some AS5 so i doubt i will NEED the extra rpm's, but it would be nice to have. If the sound is the same on the low end, then 100% go with the S-Flex F, or the new G version that i saw on direct canada.

The noise is incredibly silent! My freaking hard drives are now the loudest components in my computer :shock: Time to upgrade (or downgrade) to a 2.5" drive :lol:

OK back on topic. Fans are very quiet. move some good amount of air. Noise at maximum... isnt too bad actualy. i dont know about you guys but when i crank it up i want it to be like a jet engine, or at least move some air if im playing games.

So buy the 1600 rpm version or above :wink:

Zeroignite

Post by Zeroignite » Thu May 28, 2009 10:03 am

syrian_gamer wrote:
blackworx wrote:
yes but what temperatures are you getting? hows your airflow? can you boil and egg with your computer, etc. all these things need to be factored i supposed.

In any case im still waiting on my 1200 rpm s-flex fans. will post back once they're installed. and they better be quieter then my cat fans :evil:
I haven't bought the fans yet. Actually, after reading a bit more, I think that the Slipstream M maybe would be better for me. I'm planning on cooling a scythe ninja mini and Eathwatts 500 PSU passively with an overclocked AMD X3 710.

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Thu May 28, 2009 12:52 pm

i guess it really depends your needs. I have an ultima 90 and HR-03 gt, which i could probably run passively if need be (while doing office work of course) and simply turn on the fans when gaming.

blackworx
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by blackworx » Fri May 29, 2009 11:39 am

syrian_gamer wrote:
blackworx wrote:

:) No egg-frying. I've calibrated RealTemp, and doing aforementioned video conversion, the hottest core gets up to about 63ºC (HR01+) in 20ish ambient. This is what I mean when I say the 1600 is, for most people, unneccessary, and for anyone considering the 1600 (and who is also interested in silencing their PC) the increased "silent" Voltage range of the 1200 is probably more desirable.

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Fri May 29, 2009 6:57 pm

I installed my fans, and boy are they great. silent as hell when i turn them down i barely hear a thing. in fact i only hear my hard drives rattling away. Im still waiting to reapply my AS5 but im sure ill be getting much better temps once i do.