To [Dremel] or not to [Dremel], that is the question

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

syrian_gamer

To [Dremel] or not to [Dremel], that is the question

Post by syrian_gamer » Tue May 26, 2009 7:17 pm

Hello fellow SPCR readers,

I want to dremel the grills for my front case fan and rear case fan to allow more airflow and reduce the noise. For the rear there is nothing really stopping me, it is more the front that I have issues with.

Now I have long removed the HD cage to improve airflow. However, this is how the components are sandwiched.

Fan > Case Grill > Filter > plastic front case cover with holes on the sides for air intake.

My question is: Would cutting the front grill eliminate any noise or even improve airflow with all the obstruction of the filter? Or would just the noise be reduced since the air filter probably doesn't create much turbulence?

SPCR Experts please feel free to comment 8)

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Tue May 26, 2009 10:57 pm

It's very difficult to predict what impact cutting the front grill will have without actually seeing what the front parts look like.
I'm pretty sure the noise won't get worse if you cut the grill though.

What case is that?

Cheers
Olle

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Wed May 27, 2009 10:06 am

It is the Ultra X-Blaster. I figured noise wouldnt be WORSE. The front grill looks just like the front one (the bunch of circles) In addition to a fan clip which probably has more plastic pieces. I guess it wouldnt be so hard to cut anyways. Have people noticed any noticeable changes after cutting their grills?

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu May 28, 2009 12:04 am

I don't think there's much to gain from just removing the grill. One problem is the limited openings in the front bezel. Perhaps those side vents can be drilled out to be larger (and more of them)?
Drilling holes through the bezel directly in front of the fan will improve cooling, but also add noise (speaking from my own experience).

Cheers
Olle

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Thu May 28, 2009 8:16 am

yes but dont they provide turbulance and cause noise? My front fan is the same as my rear fan, but the front one makes more noise on a higher setting?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu May 28, 2009 8:32 am

Hi,

I would say it cannot hurt to remove the grills, and it may well help at least a little, and maybe a lot!

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu May 28, 2009 9:54 am

syrian_gamer wrote:yes but dont they provide turbulance and cause noise?
What I meant is that drilling new holes straight out from the fan will provide turbulence as well as let the sound out.

A combination of enlarged intakes at the sides, where there are holes already, and adjusted fan speed can reduce the noise.
But you must ask yourself what you want; more air or less noise? More/larger holes will provide more air. That allows you to reduce the fan speed to keep the airflow at the current rate, leave it untouched for better cooling, or somewhere in between.

Cheers
Olle

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Thu May 28, 2009 11:16 am

Considering my new fans are silent as hell, i suppose i just want better air flow. noise really isnt an issue any more with the sflex. Has anybody here had experience with cutting their grills?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu May 28, 2009 4:37 pm

Hi,

Many of us have done it. The safest way to do it is to remove all the electronics; especially the motherboard. Then use a good pair of tin snips (metal shears) and then you can use a rotary tool (like a Dremel or a Black & Decker) or a metal file to deburr and smooth the edge if neccessary -- and then vacuum thoroughly and wipe it down with a cleaner. You do not want to leave any metal bits in the case that might short out anything...

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Fri May 29, 2009 7:03 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi,

Many of us have done it. The safest way to do it is to remove all the electronics; especially the motherboard. Then use a good pair of tin snips (metal shears) and then you can use a rotary tool (like a Dremel or a Black & Decker) or a metal file to deburr and smooth the edge if neccessary -- and then vacuum thoroughly and wipe it down with a cleaner. You do not want to leave any metal bits in the case that might short out anything...
Yeah I figured removing the mobo would be a good idea :lol: Have you experienced better temps from removing the rear grill? or less noise perhaps?

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat May 30, 2009 5:34 am

Hi,

The best grills are no grills at all, followed closely by wire and the hexagon stamped grills that have been pushed out into a dome. But grills like the one in this case are good candidates for removal!

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:48 am

Im currently getting my case dremeled (removing the front grills), here is how my pc looks right now. I couldnt be more ghetto

http://www.ocforums.com/attachment.php? ... 1243964738

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Ok I have dremeled the grills in my case. however there is still a noise when the fan is approached towards the opening. is this because air is sucked in from the sides as well as the front of the fan? or is it because my hole isnt big enough?

Need help ASAP as I am going to continue to dremel tomorrow

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:39 am

syrian_gamer wrote:... however there is still a noise when the fan is approached towards the opening. is this because air is sucked in from the sides as well as the front of the fan? or is it because my hole isnt big enough?
It should be noise generated by the air sucked in through the side holes in the front plate.
As I noted before, these are a restriction. Make them more and/or larger to reduce the restriction.
To get rid of that noise totally you'll either have to reduce the air flow (fan speed) or remove the entire front cover.

Cheers
Olle

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:24 am

Olle P wrote:
syrian_gamer wrote:... however there is still a noise when the fan is approached towards the opening. is this because air is sucked in from the sides as well as the front of the fan? or is it because my hole isnt big enough?
It should be noise generated by the air sucked in through the side holes in the front plate.
As I noted before, these are a restriction. Make them more and/or larger to reduce the restriction.
To get rid of that noise totally you'll either have to reduce the air flow (fan speed) or remove the entire front cover.

Cheers
Olle
There are no more grills what so ever. I have removed everything and all that remains is simply a gaping hole where the intake and exhaust was.

When my fan is simply on my desk, it barely makes any noise. When its near an opening, it starts making a noise. Is there any way I can eliminate the noise as much as possible?

(I am aware that having a front cover will reduce air flow, however it shouldnt impact noise dramatically. I also have a fan controller, but Im testing the noise at higher rpms)

Olle P

Post by Olle P » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:49 am

syrian_gamer wrote:When its near an opening, it starts making a noise. Is there any way I can eliminate the noise as much as possible?
What does it sound like? High or low frequency?
My guess is that the air moving fast at the edges of the openings become turbulent and thus create noise.
A possible sub-variety on that is that air is drawn at high speed along the case wall around the opening.
Both of these should more or less disappear if you hold the fan directly against the case and/or enlarge the openings further. You could use some silicone frame to seal the gap between the fan and case while keeping mechanical noise from the fan at a minimum.

Cheers
Olle

syrian_gamer

Post by syrian_gamer » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:05 am

Well I just finished dremeling yesterday. made the holes quite big and there doesnt seem to be the whining noise, or at least its not so bad any more. although it was a pain in the arse to cut everything as well as file it smooth. At least ill get better airflow from the exhaust fan :lol:

bartfriend

Post by bartfriend » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:43 pm

I just jumped in to the dremeling world my self. Made a HUGE noise difference but still don't have enough flow in my SilverStone LC-10...

lets see some pics.

Broadleaf

Post by Broadleaf » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:19 pm

oops ...I wasn't fast enough with my reply...for others out try this before firing up the dremel:

You can get a big improvement in the loudness and character of the noise of the rear chassis fan. Put a 2.5 cm (1 inch) duct in between the fan and the chassis grill to give the turbulent air coming off of the the fan blades time to moderate before hitting that nasty cheap steel stamping grill. The easiest way to make this duct is to cut out the guts of a surplus 120mm fan. Next you can use a fan like the Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1,150rpm Silent Case Fan. This fan pushes the same amout of air as a 800 rpm fan and is the same loudness as a 800 rpm fan but the character of the noise is much improved.