Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

obtuse alligator

be-quiet Silent Wings BL001 120mm Fan

Post by obtuse alligator » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:10 am

I came across these whilst browsing for 120mm fans:

be-quiet .de
Silent Wings

With Silent Wings, be quiet! presents a case fan that assures unique silent operations due to the especially high manufacturing quality.

This fan provides an operating life (MTBF) of more than 45.000 hours by the noise level of only 20 dB(A).

The fan connector is polarity safe. Even after an interruption of operations, for instance through any objects, the fan will continue the operation. And the motor is not damaged in any way, should the fan be completely blocked.
There's a couple of promising German reviews already at tweakpc and technic3d.

They come with silicone mountings and a 12V - 7V adapter. On the online store that I found them (UK) they cost the same as the Scythe SFF21E.

obtuse alligator

Post by obtuse alligator » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:57 am

Hmm, seems 'Be Quiet' have updated their own pages over the last day or so. That quote above is for their old fans, this is for the new ones:
SilentWings USC 120mm

When developing the new generation of our housing-fan series SilentWingsUSC, two things were of particular importance to us: that they should run extremely quietly and at the same time achieve optimum airflow - an extremely tricky challenge.

And with the newly developed Ultra Silent Concept (USC), we have mastered this challenge. The USC comprises, amongst other things, two innovations from be quiet! that have a patent pending. In addition, the housing fan has a remarkable lifespan of almost 300,000 hours.

But, of course, our SilentWings exhibit other features, too. That's why the 120-mm SilentWings came out on top in a comparative test by PCGH, and as a result was awarded top product - another result of our work into which our knowledge and, more importantly, our entire passion goes.
The reviews were for the new ones though.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:39 am

Here's a small review against Noctua NF-S12B Flex:

http://www.ginjfo.com/Publics/Dossiers/ ... d.jpg.html

Looks like a tad higher rpm, thus a bit more cooling power while producing slightly lower noise. However, the noise measurement results are not very professional, so we need more tests.

Owen

Re: be-quiet Silent Wings BL001 120mm Fan

Post by Owen » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:26 pm

I got one today. I used it to replace the Noctua NF-P12 and subjectively speaking I'd say it's at least as quiet if not quieter.

For Antec P183 it's good for rear case fan, not for the HDD fans unless you use flat heads screws instead of the supplied silicone ones. For top case fan you'd have to rely on the screws for support, because it does not have the square edge to hook to the case.