Scythe Slip stream on 2 pin connector

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

chico1st

Scythe Slip stream on 2 pin connector

Post by chico1st » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:24 pm

The scythe slip stream line states that it is "Silent to Power User Ready".

I assume this means that there is a switch on the fan to change the speed? Would this fan and feature still work properly if i use it in a power supply on the PSU's 2 pin connector?

robbie13

Re: Scythe Slip stream on 2 pin connector

Post by robbie13 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:25 am

Why would you assume that?

http://www.scythe-eu.com/typo3temp/pics/9a4450de33.jpg

I see a regular fan header. You need to change the header, or get an adapter cable.

chico1st

Post by chico1st » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:48 am

ok then if i change the adapter will i still be able to control the fan speed? Or how do i change the speed? With a computer program or do i have to mod the cable?

will the power supply still be able to control the 3-pin fan if its on a 2 pin connector?

SebRad
Patron of SPCR

Post by SebRad » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:31 am

Hi, most PSUs control the fan speed with voltage. This only requires two wires, the 3rd wire is the RPM monitoring. I would expect the PSU to be able to control the speed of the Scythe fan (assuming the PSU has fan speed control). you can use an adaptor cable or you may be able to jam the fan's plug on the PSU's fan header directly, especially if remove the previous fan header surround (carefully, pins can be bent/broken).
You can even seperate the 3rd speed wire out and route it to a motherboard header to monitor the PSU fan speed. I've done this with fan swap in my NeoHE PSU.
hope this helps, Seb