Zalman PWM Mate

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kike_1974

Zalman PWM Mate

Post by kike_1974 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:34 pm

I discovered this controller thanks to the spcr review of the Zalman CNPS10X heatsink. Now it sells separately as well, and I'd like to know a couple of questions. Maybe someone in the forum has one of this controllers, or the CNPS10X article authors can ask this questions:

- Can the controller be connected to a 3-pin fan header? Or it only works with 4-pin headers? (I mean, the 4th pin for the PWM signal needs to be used?)

- In manual mode, what does it? Just generate a PWM signal starting from the 12V supplied in the second pin, with a duty cycle that depends on the regulator wheel?

- In auto mode? Does it generate a PWM signal in the 4th pin, starting from the input PWM signal (in the input 4th pin) and the selection mode (low, medium, high)? Or it only depends on the selection mode independently of the input pwm?

- The second pin of the output, is always 12V, or it is also regulated somehow?

Thanks in advance. I apologize for my English. If any of these questions is not expressed correctly and/or is hard to understand, please tell me and I will try to rephrase them (I would appreciate being corrected :))

piccobello

Re: Zalman PWM Mate

Post by piccobello » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:41 am

kike_1974 wrote: - Can the controller be connected to a 3-pin fan header? Or it only works with 4-pin headers? (I mean, the 4th pin for the PWM signal needs to be used?)
I would be very interested in the same info! Did you find it out?
I'm trying to install a 4-pin fan on an old mobo with 3-pin fan headers, I thought maybe this would allow me to control the fan?

trekmbikes

Post by trekmbikes » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:49 am

Did either of you try plugging this in to a 3-pin header to see if it worked and you were able to control the fan speed?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:38 am

piccobello wrote:I'm trying to install a 4-pin fan on an old mobo with 3-pin fan headers, I thought maybe this would allow me to control the fan?
If you install a 4 pin PWM fan onto a motherboard 3-pin header it will behave exactly like a 3-pin fan. So the non-PWM Zalman Fan Mate 2 could be used to control the fan speed but you would need to cut off one side of the fan socket to allow a PWM 4-pin fan to plug into it.