Fan isolator size for Lian-Li 60

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

melevittfl

Fan isolator size for Lian-Li 60

Post by melevittfl » Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:44 am

Hi,
I've seen different sizes for those EAR fan isolators and I was wondering if anyone knows which ones fit a Lian-Li 60 case?

Also, does anyone know of a place that's carrying them in the UK? Kustom PC says they have them, but they're out of stock.

Thanks

DonP

Re: Fan isolator size for Lian-Li 60

Post by DonP » Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:30 am

melevittfl wrote:Hi,
I've seen different sizes for those EAR fan isolators and I was wondering if anyone knows which ones fit a Lian-Li 60 case?

Also, does anyone know of a place that's carrying them in the UK? Kustom PC says they have them, but they're out of stock.

Thanks
I'm just waiting for them to come back into stock and I'll be buying a set of each size. Graeme at kustompcs says they should have stock next week.

I haven't found them anywhere else in the UK.. but if somebody does know another source then I'd really like to know too.

DonP.

whitter

Post by whitter » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:03 am

DonP wrote:
I'm just waiting for them to come back into stock and I'll be buying a set of each size. Graeme at kustompcs says they should have stock next week.

I haven't found them anywhere else in the UK.. but if somebody does know another source then I'd really like to know too.

DonP.
I've noticed that kustompcs.co.uk don't seem to have restocked, and they have been out of stock for a rather long time. Maybe few requests?

Regardless, there is a site i saw stocking others, though i've never ordered from it so whether they are any good i know not: check out Kool'n'Quiet if you are still looking.

tm
Friend of SPCR

Post by tm » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:28 am

Hi, I have the same case and use the isolators that I bought from siliconacoustics. Well, sorta, as I needed to dremel the holes a little bigger to accomodate those isolators. So, in short, whatever size isolators siliconacoustics sells, you need a slightly smaller size (a few mm smaller in diameter).

UHT

Post by UHT » Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:28 pm

I would be interested to know the size most suitable for this case, in particular from the two that Kustom carry (33 and 44?)

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Tue Jul 08, 2003 7:47 pm

tm wrote:
Hi, I have the same case and use the isolators that I bought from siliconacoustics. Well, sorta, as I needed to dremel the holes a little bigger to accomodate those isolators. So, in short, whatever size isolators siliconacoustics sells, you need a slightly smaller size (a few mm smaller in diameter).
"a few mm smaller" ? :shock: The isolators are only 3.5mm wide where the connect to the fan and the case. There really isn't a few mm to give, unless you were speaking hyperbolically. :roll: The siliconacoustics isolators correspond to McMaster.com's part #5801K8.

McMaster.com sells a part (5801K4) that is smaller - 2.5mm for the fan and 2.75mm for the case, but after seeing how my 3.5mm version (5801K8) fits my 80mm fans, I'd be concerned my fans might fall off the smaller version.

There is also a 5801K6 that seems to fit 120mm fans.
UHT wrote:I would be interested to know the size most suitable for this case, in particular from the two that Kustom carry (33 and 44?)
Kustom 35 = McMaster K8
Kustom 44 = McMaster K6
(note the Kustom PC part name corresponds to the width of the isolator)

I use the K8 with 3/16" drill bit to make the holes in my case and 80mm fans. It takes a bit of pulling and rotating, but they fit snuggly. A 5/32" case hole was too small.

IMO, If the K8s or K6s don't fit the LianLi, I suggest enlarging the fan mounting holes rather than using the smaller isolators (someone else may have a different opinion.)

FWIW, the McMaster.com catalog page for these products is 1212.

UHT

Post by UHT » Wed Jul 09, 2003 10:11 am

Done a fair few mods to my Lian Li, but not really keen on drilling the holes out unless I absolutely have to. Has anyone any experience on using these products with these cases?

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Wed Jul 09, 2003 11:38 am

UHT wrote:Done a fair few mods to my Lian Li, but not really keen on drilling the holes out unless I absolutely have to. Has anyone any experience on using these products with these cases?
How big are the fan mounting holes in that case?

tm
Friend of SPCR

Post by tm » Wed Jul 09, 2003 12:44 pm

aphonos wrote: How big are the fan mounting holes in that case?
Not too big. "A few mm" ;) The holes are designed to fit small plastic pins that Lian-Li uses to mount their stock fans. I agree it's a better idea to find isolators that fit the fans and use a drill to widen the mounting holes on the case.

UHT

Post by UHT » Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:56 pm

I would imagine the hole is about 3.5mm in diameter, as the fan screws I am currently using are 3.5mm in diameter and a snug fit.

DonP

Post by DonP » Sat Aug 16, 2003 7:00 am

If anyone is still interested it looks like Kustom has them back in stock now.

And I _just_ ordered mine from McMaster yesterday. doh!

Anyway, I went for the McMaster 5801K8 (probably == Kustom FM35) for my PC60.

DonP

Post by DonP » Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:03 pm

I was wondering if anyone else notcied this..
McMaster's on-line ordering isn't actually secure.
Even though it says "This page is secure" in a few places Mozilla hasn't informed me that I'm entering an encrytped zone (I've set it to tell me when it does), nor can I find any mention of encryption or certificates in the page info, including the page info for all the frames I;ve tried.

Anyone else notice this?

I'm kinda miffed because I ordered with a private credit card from them a few days ago.

DonP

Post by DonP » Tue Sep 02, 2003 4:16 pm

Ok, if you're still interested then I've just installed some 5801K8 (Kustom 35) in my Lian-Li PC-60USB - they'll fit but it's very very tight and I had to modify them a bit. I had to cut a bigger ridge in them for them to fit in the standard holes (I didn't want to cut bigger holes).

In the PC-60 (and similar Lian-Li cases with two 80mm fans in the front) you have to do the fan on the right first (looking from the front), and life is much much easier if you remove the right panel to get to the fan.
A pair of snipe nose pliers are your friend when pulling the fan mount through the fan hole. To get it through the case hole a small but not very sharp screwdriver helps. They got quite scratched when I tried to force them in but I never managed to break any of them, however hard I tried. :)

As to effectiveness.. I think it is generally effective - there seems to be less of a low pitched hum (I'm guessing those were the vibrations from the fan).

Now my other sources of noise seem to bother me more than they used to. ARGHHH!!! :)