Quiet/Reliable 120mm & 140mm fan advice

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Siegfried262

Quiet/Reliable 120mm & 140mm fan advice

Post by Siegfried262 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:02 pm

Hello,

I've recently taken up the task of lowering the noise level my computer and the first thing to replace are the case fans. Which aren't too bad but there's room for improvement.

I figure on going with the Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm model of fan, I've read good things about it and it seems the consensus is it pushes a decent amount of air at a low noise level.

However, for a number of the fan slots there are options for a 140mm fan mount, I could easily go with the S-Flex for those but are there any 140mm fans you guys might recommend or have had personal experience with?

I saw the Scythe Kaze Maru 2 Slip Stream on FrozenCpu which seems to have good stats (140mm with 120mm mounting holes, 1200rpm, 65cfm, 23db) but haven't found much in the way of reviews or people with personal experience about it and manufacturers can fudge numbers.

Is there anything else I can (besides different voltage levels and such) to minimize fan noise? I've seen rubber fan screws on FrozenCpu but not sure on their effectiveness, same with the rubber grommets.

Appreciate any advice, thanks a million.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Here are two interesting Scythe PWM Slipstreams carried by FrozenCpu:

1. Scythe Kaze-Jyuni Slip Stream 120mm x 25mm PWM & V.R. Fan - (SY1225SL12HPVC)

The adjustable PWM Scythe Kaze-Jyuni Slip Stream 120mm x 25mm is here! You can control the "band range" of this fan by using the PCI bracket controller that can be installed on any open slot. This gives you the freedom to tweak the fan speed range of this PWM fan to anything you desire giving more flexibility and more control. Turn it down for web surfing and turn ...

Scythe Slip Stream 120mm x 25mm PWM Fan - (SY1225SL12LM-P)

The Scythe Slip Stream 120mm x 25mm PWM Fan uses a nine-bladed design to achieve remarkable near 3:1 Airflow to Noise ratios! The Slip Stream's aerodynamic design grants it 20 ~ 40% more airflow that similar fans. It can connect with the energy efficeint PWM 4-pin connector.

I have the Scythe Kaze Maru 2 Slip Stream 500 rpm. It seems pretty quiet to me. Noiseblocker has a real 140mm that runs at around 700rpm (it has a low starting voltage so you should be able to get it down to 400 or 500 rpm by undervolting). It has long life bearings.

Noctua's 140mm fan can mount as a 120mm or 140mm. It has even longer claimed bearing life than the Noiseblocker, but runs faster (I think maybe 1200 rpm at 12 volts).