Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-14 vs AP-15

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dopke

Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-14 vs AP-15

Post by dopke » Fri May 28, 2010 12:59 pm

I'm looking to use a Venomous X on my i7 920, and considering the GT's for a push/pull config on the Venomous X. I will probably OC the 920 to the point where I don't have to up the voltage, so I'm thinking 3.8ghz is where I've read is "real easy" to OC to.

Considering that, and also that I plan on using an Antec P183 with Yate Loon DS12L-12 for one rear exhaust and one front intake, can I go for the quieter AP-14, or is the AP-15 not all that loud anyways?

According to specs, the Yateloons are rated at 27dba, and the GT AP-15 is 28dba, so if I'm OK with the sound coming from the Yateloons, I should go for AP-15s? Or are the AP-14s more than enough for cooling the i7 920.

Thanks

ascl

Post by ascl » Fri May 28, 2010 2:41 pm

For anyone else looking at this, AP15 is the 1850 rpm one, and AP14 is the 1450rpm one.

I have the 1850 rpm ones (5 of them!) on my radiators. They are remarkably unnoticeable for fans running at full speed, but they are by no means quiet. I like having the faster fans for the option of running them full speed, but I also have them on a fan controller. I'd strongly recommend a fan controller -- allows you to adjust until the noise/performance ratio is where you want.

With no fan controller, definitely get the slower ones.

EDIT: FWIW I almost never use them at full speed, they are usually at 800 rpm or so. One nice thing with the GTs is their startup voltage is very low, about 4v or 4xx rpm, so there is no disadvantage in buying faster fans if you have a controller.

Kilgore

Post by Kilgore » Sat May 29, 2010 12:37 pm

ascl, would you consider the ap15 @ 800rpm inaudible? If you have other fans to compare them to at the same rpm that would probably give the best noise estimate.

dopke

Post by dopke » Sat May 29, 2010 2:24 pm

Thanks for the replies. From searching google and other reviews on the GT's, most people have recommended the AP15s just because of the amount of air it can push.

I decided I should check in with SPCR people because I'm more focused on noise than performance, and I would sacrifice performance for more quietness. So where on other forums they may say it's "quiet," for SPCR people, they may think it's not quiet at all. That's where my question stems from...

In general is it a quiet fan by SPCR standards?

ascl

Post by ascl » Sat May 29, 2010 2:58 pm

I don't think any fan at 1400+ rpm is quiet by SPCR standards! I do find them several hundred rpm quieter than Yate Loons tho (if that makes sense).

At 800 rpm I find them very quiet, below ambient noise in my room (I do live in the city however, so I wouldn't call my room silent by any stretch) -- my 1350 rpm (ie the slow ones) yate loons are more noticeable at similar rpms. I am intentionally saying "more noticeable" rather than louder, I have no way of measuring loudness objectively. The GTs fade into the background more easily to me.... and really, my YLs (SLs) are the loudest part of my system at the moment.

Lastly, I am specifically talking about the noise against a radiator (heat sink should be similar) rather than free air. I believe there are better free air fans.

NT

Post by NT » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:50 am

So these still the bad-ass fans for rads if you want decent CFM, but not too noisy?