P183 Top Fan Recommendation

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Siegfried262

P183 Top Fan Recommendation

Post by Siegfried262 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:11 pm

Hey guys,

So in the process of fiddling with different fan options in my P183, I've decided that a low speed fan in the top would help aid the escape of naturally rising hot air.

Originally I was going to get a 500rpm Scythe Gentle Typhoon fan for the slot but another user said they had issues getting it to fit in the clip portion of the fan slot.

Now I currently have a Gentle Typhoon as one of the intake fans (first tried out the 1450 rpm version which is great performance wise for the dust filters but is too loud so I'm going to give the 800rpm variant a shot) and I plan on removing it to see how it fits soon but in the meantime what would serve as a suitable replacement?

I was thinking of the Noctua NF-S12B ULN because of the non-sleeve bearing and with it's low speed adapter it'd only be running at about 500rpms, which would be suitable for the position but it's pricier than I'd like.

Do you guys have any other ideas?

maxextz

Post by maxextz » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:51 am

i put a noctura 800 rpm fan there and it works great i cant hear any noise coming from it and the airflow is good enough.
its much better than the antec tri-cool on low speed setting.

Flavio

Post by Flavio » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:18 am

I fitted two120mm Nexus Real Silent Case Fans (1000rpm), one intake at the front and one exhaust at the back. I removed the top fan blocked the top opening.
These Nexus fans are super quiet and above all very inexpensive!

Arbutus

Post by Arbutus » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:12 pm

These are some major do's for a silent build with a standard floor standing ATX case:

> block acoustic leaks on the sides
> block acoustic leaks on the top
> don't use fans on the acoustic leaks on the front

I use only one fan in the upper chamber of my P180 case. The top fan position is blocked off and air enters through the filter on the lower front and exits through the upper rear fan position. A Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1,150rpm does double duty by both getting the heat away from the CPU and moving room air through the chassis. The fan is mounted on the Scythe Ninja on the side adjacent to the rear chassis fan location and blowing towards the rear of the chassis. A 2.5 cm (1 inch) duct made out of a 120mm fan with the guts cut out is mounted on the rear chassis fan location. The CPU fan and the duct align well enough for most of the air to exit the chassis. The fan is connected to the CPU fan connector and the ASUS fan control is set for DC fan type.

This cooling setup compared to normal configurations reduces noise in these ways:
=> There is only one fan making noise and it is inside the case not a the edge.
=> The Scythe Gentle Typhoon has the most non-annoying noise signature that I know of.
=> The fan makes less noise sucking air from the heatsink than blasting turbulent air at the heatsink.
=> The less turbulent air from the Gentle Typhoon has time to moderate before hitting that nasty cheap steel stammping rear grill.

This computer is almost silent during the day and when things quiet down in the late evening I can here a gentle, quiet whirr.

Have fun.