What about 140mm Enermax T.B. Silence ?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Lele81

What about 140mm Enermax T.B. Silence ?

Post by Lele81 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:05 am

Hi there, that's my first post in your great forum/website, but I've been reading you for many years :D

I wanted to know if anyone know (or maybe have) those new enermax fans! 140mm Enermax T.B. Silence.

I'm searching for a very, very, very quiet 140 mm fan, can this be a valid choice?....On the paper seems cheap and quiet....but at the same time, it's strange to read that the 120mm version seems quieter moving about the same air...? So from the specifics, I sould prefer the 120mm....strange, don't you think?
http://enermax.it/a/2132/prodotti-vento ... lence.aspx

Question is, can you compare its noise with, for example, a Noiseblocker Multiframe S1 120mm? (the quietest fan I have ever owned).

Thank you so much for your opinions!

JamieG

Re: What about 140mm Enermax T.B. Silence ?

Post by JamieG » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:11 pm

I don't know much about Enermax fans, they seem to be a flashy fan of choice for overclockers and modders though.

In terms of other alternatives, from what other users have posted here, Yate Loon make a fairly quiet 140mm fan. It's a sleeve bearing fan though, so possibly inappropriate for a horizontal (top exhaust) mount.

Fractal Design also have a very low speed 140mm fan.

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:50 pm

JamieG wrote:I don't know much about Enermax fans, they seem to be a flashy fan of choice for overclockers and modders though.

In terms of other alternatives, from what other users have posted here, Yate Loon make a fairly quiet 140mm fan. It's a sleeve bearing fan though, so possibly inappropriate for a horizontal (top exhaust) mount.

Fractal Design also have a very low speed 140mm fan.
Thanks for your comment!
mmm....I'm going to buy a Lancool pc-k60 case, and 2 of 3 fans will be placed in horizontal mount (there are fans yet there, but I think they are not so quiet....so I was thinking of replacing them...)

Fractal Design? mmm....you know, before their 140 mm fan was a 600rpm with 11 blades fan, that was the best....but now they replaced it with a new version at 800rpm with only 7 blades, and I have one of those, but it's a bit noisy....

So...talking about Enermax you think they are only flashy fans ah? Would a Nanoxia DX14 (700rpm) be a better choice?

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:19 am

Lele81 wrote: Would a Nanoxia DX14 (700rpm) be a better choice?
So....that would be my question in the end:

I need to buy two 140mm very silent fans, and my choice should be between the two of those:
Enermax T.B. Silence
Nanoxia DX-14 700

Have anyone some info about theyr noise and CFM levels? They are at the same rpm rotation speed, the Enermax though is also cheaper.

Any help at all?
I found a roundup for the Nanoxia here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... up_12.html
but I don't know how to compare this with the Enermax!

Thanks to anyone that will help!!

danimal

Post by danimal » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:25 am

there must be a reason that you aren't looking at the winner of that fan shootout, the ty-140... perhaps they are too expensive to import, because they aren't available in italy?

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:13 am

danimal wrote:there must be a reason that you aren't looking at the winner of that fan shootout, the ty-140... perhaps they are too expensive to import, because they aren't available in italy?
Thanks for answering :D
Gooood Point!!!!!:-) In Italy the Thermalright TY-140 is avaliable and affordable (only 10€).
The problem is that my case have only 140mm holes, but that TY is a 140mm fan with only 120mm holes (as the Noctua does)...but it comes without any adapter.

You got the real issue into focus, my first choice would be that thermalright ty140....only if someone can tell me how can I adapt it in 140mm holes....do you have an Idea how I could do it?

Many thanks!

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:30 am

Maybe should I open a new thread for the adapter question and leave this one for the T.B. Silence talking? :)

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:34 am

Lele81 wrote:The problem is that my case have only 140mm holes, but that TY is a 140mm fan with only 120mm holes (as the Noctua does)...but it comes without any adapter.

There's also the Thermalright X-Silent 140, which uses FDB (fluid dynamic bearing), have 140mm holes and costs a bit less than TY-140.
Already reviewed on X-bit Labs.

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:50 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Lele81 wrote:The problem is that my case have only 140mm holes, but that TY is a 140mm fan with only 120mm holes (as the Noctua does)...but it comes without any adapter.

There's also the Thermalright X-Silent 140, which uses FDB (fluid dynamic bearing), have 140mm holes and costs a bit less than TY-140.
Already reviewed on X-bit Labs.
I know that, but I can't find in Italy the Thermalright X-Silent 140....I've tryed without finding it...

Thank you anyway

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:08 am

Lele81 wrote:I can't find in Italy the Thermalright X-Silent 140
Maybe you have just to look a bit better for it: Eprice, Drako, Diunamai, eBay have it.

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:25 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
Lele81 wrote:I can't find in Italy the Thermalright X-Silent 140
Maybe you have just to look a bit better for it: Eprice, Drako, Diunamai, eBay have it.
AHAH thanks! :wink: (I tryed trovaprezzi but couldn't find those).
I'll think about it, ok!

However, if I Will find a way to install the TY-140 in my 140mm holes, it would be a lot better, because I do find the TY-140 near home, without shipping costs...so a lot cheaper (and of course they are also better than the x-silence), same thing about the Enermax Tb silence and the Nanoxia DX 700 (no shipping, that is why i was choosing from those fans, actually I would like to choose one from Here:
PlanetComputer

Tetreb

Post by Tetreb » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:44 am

I have such a fan in my Enermax PSU and it is noiseless (horizontally mounted in the PSU).

The Noctua is noisless too (I have three), when you turn up RPM over 800, the air makes the noise, I can't hear the fan itself even over 1000RPM. As you probably saw, they do have adapters included.

I also considered using the 12cm since it seems to move as much air as 14cm and is less noisy (according to Enermax).
Now I believe that a bigger fan pushes air over a bigger area and may be better when you use dust filters or you want to cool a large area instead of one specific heatsink.

So I use two 14cm Noctuas as case fans (the bearing seems to be very stable and they have long warranty).
They are mounted as far away as possible from the intake filters. When there is less than 2cm between them and the filter, much less air seems to be moved.
I posted some pictures: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=60189
Maybe 12cm fans behave better when mounted directly on a dust filter?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:07 am

Lele81 wrote:I tryed trovaprezzi but couldn't find those

Unfortunately Trovaprezzi sucks since at least a year, a year and half ago: we can't rely only upon it anymore. IME, of course (to be fair, Diunamai is listed even by Trovaprezzi).
Lele81 wrote:actually I would like to choose one from Here:
PlanetComputer

Have you tried to ask them for it yet?
Iirc I bought my first Scythe Quiet Drive 2.5 from them, even if they had on sales only the 3.5" variant.

However, "I can't find it in Pisa" does not mean it isn't available in Italy. :wink:

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:19 am

quest_for_silence wrote: Have you tried to ask them for it yet?
Iirc I bought my first Scythe Quiet Drive 2.5 from them, even if they had on sales only the 3.5" variant.

However, "I can't find it in Pisa" does not mean it isn't available in Italy. :wink:
Yeah, you're right :wink: But no shipping costs is better!!! :mrgreen:

So, you asked them and they found for you something out of the calalog? Cool, I'll try then :D

Tetreb wrote:I have such a fan in my Enermax PSU and it is noiseless (horizontally mounted in the PSU).
Thanks for comment! This is a little helping, but in a PSU the fan will not surely goes at full speed, so a full speed judgement would be more useful :(
And about Noctua 140mm....I read many reviews about it, and it seems it doesn't worth the high price!

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:32 am

Lele81 wrote:same thing about the Enermax Tb silence and the Nanoxia DX 700

However, Orthy.de, a somewhat reputable source for german silencers, rates the Enermax TB above some costlier Noiseblocker and Nanoxia.

Tetreb

Post by Tetreb » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:14 am

The Noctuas are expensive, I got them because cheaper ones were not available here without waiting and shipping.
Also the warranty and bearing type convinced me in the end. :)
I would have tried 12cm fans (Enermax, BeQuiet) actually but those were not available immediately either.

Anyway I doubt you'll get noisy bearings with any of these fans, other noise sources will be more audible, especially if you won't keep them below 800RPM.

danimal

Post by danimal » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:17 pm

Lele81 wrote:You got the real issue into focus, my first choice would be that thermalright ty140....only if someone can tell me how can I adapt it in 140mm holes....do you have an Idea how I could do it?

Many thanks!
google "140mm fan adapter", there is a cheap plastic adapter that works great, it looks like a wide funnel.

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:30 am

I read bad things about that fan adapter...and, I don't understand that, the hole for the fan is too little for a 140mm fan, isn't it?

In the end....maybe I'll buy one Enermax T.B. Silence and one Thermalright TY-140 (and I'll try to install it with some wire...)

However, if anyone have those T.B. Silence and want to continue this discussion, he or she would be very welcome :D

danimal

Post by danimal » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:12 pm

i'm using one on a 120mm fan, i actually haven't tried to match it up with a 140mm fan, but that's a good point.

i would hack out the plastic frame, if it was blocking the airflow... leave just enough plastic to mount the fan.

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:31 am

danimal wrote:i'm using one on a 120mm fan, i actually haven't tried to match it up with a 140mm fan, but that's a good point.

i would hack out the plastic frame, if it was blocking the airflow... leave just enough plastic to mount the fan.
mmmm It seems too complicated, I don't think this will worth the price of the adapter (consider that I should order it with shipping costs...)
Maybe it will be more convenient try to hang the fan someway belting it with four pieces of wire...is it possible? I think so, don't you?

danimal

Post by danimal » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:26 pm

it would probably be easier to just make some adapters yourself, the noctua version looks to be fairly simple:

http://www.dragonsteelmods.com/index.ph ... 6&Itemid=1

or maybe noctua sells 'em somewhere?

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:35 pm

danimal wrote:it would probably be easier to just make some adapters yourself, the noctua version looks to be fairly simple:

http://www.dragonsteelmods.com/index.ph ... 6&Itemid=1

or maybe noctua sells 'em somewhere?
Well, I saw those adapters too, I didn't find them anywhere, I think Noctua will sell those only with the fan...and I don't know how to make those by myself.....maybe it will be esier to hang the fans with some wire, don't you think?

danimal

Post by danimal » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm

i bet that you could hang 'em with some wire, depending on the angle that they are mounted and such.