140mm fans good for horizontal (on top) mount?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Lele81

140mm fans good for horizontal (on top) mount?

Post by Lele81 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi,
I'm searching for a SILENT (it's the more important thing) 140mm fan, and I have to mount it on the top of my Lancool PCK-60 case, so, it will be mounted in horizontal mode.

I can't find the right one, because I read that many fans have problems monuted like that, strange noises etcetera!

I wanted Thermalright X-Silent, Nanoxia DX but I read that they does strange noises.
(I have to Avoid Enermax because what I wrote in my other post...and I hate the Noctua 140)

I was thinking about Fractal Design....but I don't know!

mkk

Re: 140mm fans good for horizontal (on top) mount?

Post by mkk » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:08 pm

The Fractal Design's have a slight ticking noise that gets worse in a horisontal position. I would bet on the Scythe Slip Stream 140's although I haven't tried one of those exact fans yet, seeing as they should be very similar to the 120's. Which are fine for horisontal use.

livingplasma

Post by livingplasma » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:23 pm

The Scythe Slip Stream 140mm aren't good for top fan use from my experience. I tried by grinding down some Noctua 120-140mm adaptors to use on the top of an Antec 300 and the fan was much noisier compared to horizontal use as a side exhaust (bearing and vibration wise). Also keep in mind that it is a standard sleeve bearing and not the Sony FDB as in the S-Flex series. Thermalright X-silent can be OK, I have 3 that run good, but one that has bearing noise regardless of orientation. I'm running a Noise Blocker Black Silent Pro (pk-2, 1200 running at ~720RPM), that has held up well as a top fan though I feel it doesn't push as much air, but better than the Noctua 140mm for noise to airflow (also the only other fan to not be noisier as a top mount).

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:37 am

mkk wrote:The Fractal Design's have a slight ticking noise that gets worse in a horisontal position. I would bet on the Scythe Slip Stream 140's although I haven't tried one of those exact fans yet, seeing as they should be very similar to the 120's. Which are fine for horisontal use.
FRACTAL DESIGN TOO? Oh my god... :roll:
So, I read in reviews (and here for the FD :wink: ) that those fans have ticking noise in horizontal mount:
- The Fractal Design
- The Thermalright X-Silent
- The NANOXIA DX
- Not to mention also the LIAN-LI...that ARE in my case (default when you buy it) and they DO Thick as well in Horizontal...)

About the Shythe Slip Stream, they have 120mm holes, so, they are not really 140mm fans,I can't use those...and, I know that Sleeve Bearing is BAD in horizontal too.

- NOCTUA is a bad and expensive fan (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cooler ... undup.html)
- ENERMAX T.B. Silence, I can't use those (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60921)

SO.....doesn't really exist a 140mm fan that will be good in horizontal mount???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

ces

Post by ces » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:51 am

Lele81 wrote:
mkk wrote:SO.....doesn't really exist a 140mm fan that will be good in horizontal mount???? :shock: :shock: :shock: Thanks :)
Try Noiseblocker. They make a very nice series of well reviewed fans... in some respects better than Nexus. They even have a special line of true 140mm fans designed with feedback from the German equivalent of silentpcreview.

I have one of their 140mm fans and have no complaints. My recollection is that both FrozenCPU and Performance-PCs carries this line. Microcenter used to and perhaps still does, but only online. They are generally available in the US and Europe.

Lele81

Post by Lele81 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:49 am

ces wrote:
Lele81 wrote:
mkk wrote:SO.....doesn't really exist a 140mm fan that will be good in horizontal mount???? :shock: :shock: :shock: Thanks :)
Try Noiseblocker. They make a very nice series of well reviewed fans... in some respects better than Nexus. They even have a special line of true 140mm fans designed with feedback from the German equivalent of silentpcreview.

I have one of their 140mm fans and have no complaints. My recollection is that both FrozenCPU and Performance-PCs carries this line. Microcenter used to and perhaps still does, but only online. They are generally available in the US and Europe.
Is there any other choice? (just to know if I'm going to have more options).

And About NoiseBlocker, PK or XK version? XK are cheaper, I don't know if it's a MUST to take the more expensive PK versions?

aztec

Post by aztec » Fri May 27, 2011 1:40 am

I have the same question for my PC-A05 case.

I'll be getting the top panel with the 140mm mounts, and its not possible to mount the Sycthe (120mm holes).

I've been looking at the Yate Loon D14SL-12, though have not come acrosss many reviews, especially of it Horizontal.

Anyone chime in on this fan?

Lithium466

Post by Lithium466 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:45 pm

A bit late, but you could also look at the 140mm BeQuiet Silentwings USC fan ;)

As for Noiseblocker, I don't personnaly find them very good horizontally mounted, especially the XK series. PK are better...

ces

Post by ces » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:34 pm

What's wrong with the Noctua 140mm running at its lowest speed?

mkk

Post by mkk » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:40 pm

I just thoughgt I'd mention that I just got around to trying out the 140 Slip Stream in my Define R3 case as top fan. Unfortunately two individual samples of the 500 RPM version both displayed a ticking motor noise, similar to but duller than the Fractal Design fans that came with the case. I'm sticking to regular 120 Slip Streams that have been unproblematic through a dozen invididuals, and blocking off the excess venting holes to minimise any recycling of vented air.

The second fan was a replacement for the first and since the ticking is not too bad and the airflow is excellent for the speed, I could use them for some other build. It's just decidedly not good enough for my main system in any position. I wouldn't be surprised if they were both less than ideal samples from the same batch, but I'm not betting on the Slip Stream 140 again personally.

Abula

Post by Abula » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:27 pm

I would try either

Scythe KAMA-FLEX 135mm x 25mm Fan - 800 RPM w/ S-FDB Bearing (140mm Mount) (SA1325FDB12L)
Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-1 140mm x 25mm Ultra Quiet Fan - 700 RPM - 9 dBA

Atm i have the kamaflex 135 but placed vertically, but probably would buy either of if i need another 140mm fan.

aztec

Post by aztec » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:35 pm

oh well. I just ordered the YL 1000RPM.

If that ticks, maybe the Noctua.

Lithium466

Post by Lithium466 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:02 pm

The Noctua is not a really good fan, especially regarding it's price, it's just an average one, not really worth it over Noiseblocker or Kama-flex (the only one with beQuiet to have magnetic rotor suction ?)

About Nanoxia, are they "good" horizontally mounted ?

Edit : I've forgotten, but the new Zalman ZM-F4 also have a "rotor suction magnet" that allows them to run smoothly when horizontally mounted. Mine also do not tick, but they have 120mm holes. Not bad compared to BeQuiet, but the BeQuiet is definitely more silent-oriented.

pet

Post by pet » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:44 am

Definitely, Bequiet SilentWings USC are the quietests 14 cm fans I've used, and they run great horizontally. Besides, they can work at very little rpms: I have several of them running at 450 rpms, and I think they can run even slower.

I've got 14 cm Noctuas too, and they are in a different league. Noctuas are overrated, IMHO -though they can be made silent.

aztec

Post by aztec » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:13 pm

unfortunately, BeQuiet does not seem to be readily available in the US. :(

ces

Post by ces » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:58 am

pet wrote:I've got 14 cm Noctuas too, and they are in a different league. Noctuas are overrated, IMHO -though they can be made silent.
Can you hear them when using the U.L.N.A. to run them at 750 RPM?

Noiseblocker 140mm run at 700rpm at 12 volts. They start at 5 volts. My guess is that you should be able to get them down to about 350rpm if you run them at 5 volts.

tanassi

Post by tanassi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:59 pm

pet wrote:Definitely, Bequiet SilentWings USC are the quietests 14 cm fans I've used, and they run great horizontally. Besides, they can work at very little rpms: I have several of them running at 450 rpms, and I think they can run even slower.

I've got 14 cm Noctuas too, and they are in a different league. Noctuas are overrated, IMHO -though they can be made silent.
+1

But make no mistake, Noctua's are great. There is a lot of bashing around of these babies. They are not always the quietest but the build oozes quality and the fans give a lovely gentle whoosh that wont annoy you. Great fans too but for horizontal go for the Silent Wings.

cordis

Post by cordis » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:52 pm

The prolimatech blue (or red) vortex fans are good, they were reviewed on the site here in the prolimatech genesis review (http://www.silentpcreview.com/prolimatech-genesis). They're hard to find, but I've been using a couple in a horizontal configuration for a few months now, they work great, still very quiet.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:36 am

tanassi wrote:But make no mistake, Noctua's are great. There is a lot of bashing around of these babies. They are not always the quietest but the build oozes quality and the fans give a lovely gentle whoosh that wont annoy you. Great fans too but for horizontal go for the Silent Wings.
I don't get all the criticism of the 140mm Noctuas. They seem quiet when used at their lowest speed.

Is there anyone claiming that the 140mm Noctuas, when used at their lowest speed, are louder or more intrusive than ANY other 140mm fan.... ANY other 140mm fan?

I am suspecting that when people diminish the sound performance of the 140mm Noctuas, they are referring to their performance at something other than their lowest speed. Does anyone disagree with me? Or is it my diminished hearing with old age? :)