24 Volt Panaflo L

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

grambr

24 Volt Panaflo L

Post by grambr » Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:13 pm

Anyone out there got experience using 24 Volt Panaflo L's (at 12 v that is !). I see one post on the site saying they have noisy bearings.

I am in Brasil, so my options for decent fans here is limited, but I just foung a box of these 24 V Panaflos in a comupter junk shop, along with some (very) used Panaflo 12 v M's and a variety of NMB models, all $2.50 each.

Should I go for the very used 12 v M or new 24 v L ???

I will be using 4 as case fans.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Fri Jul 25, 2003 5:39 pm

Go for the 12v Panaflo 'M1a'.

It is very quiet at 5v and shifts approximately the same cfm as the Panaflo 'L1a' @7v. It is also about the same noise.

With the 24v Panaflos they are not widely used/tested and could be noisier.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:13 pm

Avoid the 24v L's like they were a chick with a cold sore. (I can only imagine how that'll translate to our "english as a second language" friends)

They're a much different animal than the 12v's. trust me I accidently bought 3 of them once. (Sent one to MikeC, and was happy to be rid of it)

More bearing noise, and lots more IC click. It's noticable at 12v, and only gets worse as you drop the voltage. Never tried one at it's rated voltage, don't have a way too.

Get the M1A's at $2.50 they're a bargain.

Print out the model number page from NMB's website and take it with you to go sort through the bin, there may be a gem or two hiding in there.

grambr

Post by grambr » Sat Jul 26, 2003 4:42 am

Thanks for the advice !!!

I note the need for the NMB parts list, I did once buy a B 50 and a B 57 (temperature sensor model) without checking first ...... move a lot of air, but very noisy

Seems like I will be kitting out the two PC's at home with Panaflo M's