Lian-Li A05N correct set up for passive VGA

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

aquelito

Lian-Li A05N correct set up for passive VGA

Post by aquelito » Mon May 30, 2011 9:48 am

Hey there,

here is my current setup: stock i5 750 cooled by a NH-U9B + passive XFX 5770 with HR-03 heatsink.
I have a total of four fans:

- a rear intake Nanoxia DX12-600, running at full speed (700 RPM/ 11.3 CFM)
- a front exhaust stock Lian Li 120 mm, running at full speed as well
- a Noctua 92 mm running at 1600 RPM, blowing on the HR-03, which is right the rear fan airflow too
- a top Noiseblocker BlackSilent XL1, downvolted to 5v

Link to large image

Idle temps are not incredible:

CPU: around 36/37°
VGA: around 48/49°

What correct fan setup should I be aimaing at (in terms of airflow, espcially for front and rear fans)? Is my Nanoxia enough?

ces

Re: Lian-Li A05N correct set up for passive VGA

Post by ces » Tue May 31, 2011 7:47 am

Get the optional top with the fan hole in it.

Then experiment to see what happens if you turn the front fan around so it is blowing into the case.

Your temps aren't bad.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Tue May 31, 2011 10:24 am

How about your load temps? If load temps are reasonable and you are ok with the noise level of the 92mm fan I don`t see much wrong with your setup. A potential bottleneck: those two heatsinks are a little too restrictive for a single fan to efficiently blow through them. I`ve seen similar setups with a 120mm fan between the gpu and cpu cooler, not sure if that would be possible in your case, the cpu socket looks a bit too close to the pcie slot.

Turning the front fan into an intake can be a little problematic as it could end up recycling air used by the psu. You would need to separate those two, which is possible to some extent, at the cost of more restricted airflow. I would try turning the front fan off altogether, and rely mostly on the top exhaust fan. I also think you should block the vents where the pci covers are, they make the top fan less effective.

How about a 80mm fan cooling the vrms on the gpu? Most gpu designs are assuming some airflow over this area and since the stock gpu cooler is removed, it needs to be taken care of.

You could also try undervolting, if you haven`t so far, it should be pretty straight forward on the cpu side and it can never harm..

ces

Post by ces » Tue May 31, 2011 3:35 pm

What about getting some tape and taping up the sides of the CPU heat sink and the gaps between the CPU heatsink and the Video card heat sink. Then replacing the Noctua with a Gentle Typhoon fan (for improved high static pressure performance and high static pressure sound levels).

aquelito

Post by aquelito » Tue May 31, 2011 11:58 pm

Hey there,

thanks to both of you for your time and explanations, food for thoughts!
ntavlas wrote:I`ve seen similar setups with a 120mm fan between the gpu and cpu cooler, not sure if that would be possible in your case, the cpu socket looks a bit too close to the pcie slot.
Unfortunatly I have absolutely no clearance, maybe 3/4 mm...
ntavlas wrote:Turning the front fan into an intake can be a little problematic as it could end up recycling air used by the psu. You would need to separate those two, which is possible to some extent, at the cost of more restricted airflow.
Front fan is turned as exhaust! I'll try to shut it down and see what's happening...

Easiest way: I may have found someone to trade my matx MB for a full atx one! This way I'll be able to slap a 120mm to my GPU.

Anyway I've ordered a Kama flow 2 for the rear fan position, and a NB PK2 for the top. They move more air than my current fans, I'll see what's going on with it.

Anatorax

Post by Anatorax » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi, aquelito. The best setup for this case (and one of the best ever overall) I have ever seen is here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=59901

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:46 am

sorry to hijack this thread but i am considering getting this case and wanted to ask a few questions.

can you easily replace the stock fans in the case?
ie without cutting or drilling anything out.

and is the HDD cage also removable as shown in the OP image?
again without any cutting or drilling.

help would be most appreciated.
thanks

Zolishoru

Post by Zolishoru » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:08 pm

Ash wrote:sorry to hijack this thread but i am considering getting this case and wanted to ask a few questions.

can you easily replace the stock fans in the case?

and is the HDD cage also removable as shown in the OP image?
again without any cutting or drilling.

help would be most appreciated.
thanks
Yes and yes; both fans and the HDD cage are hold in place with screws(4 for each item).

ces

Post by ces » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:07 am

Ash wrote:can you easily replace the stock fans in the case?
yes

Ash

Post by Ash » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:21 am

ok thank you very much guys.