fan controller start-up voltage limits?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jonjan

fan controller start-up voltage limits?

Post by jonjan » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:57 pm

I'm searching for a cheap basic manual voltage controller, for two 120mm 5.5volt startup 1.8watt fans.

So far the Zalman Fanmate 2 and the Lamptron FC1 both are incompatible, due to having a start-up limit of 5v max.

Every other controller I've looked at doesn't specify a spec for the startup voltage. Does this mean that it is only these two most basic controllers that have a startup limitation... and any other controller should work with 5.5v startup levels?

ces

Re: fan controller start-up voltage limits?

Post by ces » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:08 am

jonjan

Post by jonjan » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:46 am

haha that's cool :lol:

I'm looking for continuously variable also, to dial the exact rpm that is quiet enough, and get the most cfm. If 11.8v is as quiet as needed, I wouldn't want to need to go all the way down to 10v.

this one is the cheapest so far that didn't specify startup voltage
http://www.coolerguys.com/840556090236.html#

I'm guessing that if the manufacturer doesn't mention a startup voltage limitation, then there isn't one. add: the zalman and lamptron can only output 6 watts... so the startup limitation must be due to that.

ces

Post by ces » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:46 am

You are going to have to experiment and I think you will find that fan controller easiest to use because it does reproducible settings. And it has a wide range settings.

The only reason it wouldn't work is if you want to change the fan settings as you use the computer.