Is Gentle Typoon suitable for CPU cooling with HR01 PLUS?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

netmask254

Is Gentle Typoon suitable for CPU cooling with HR01 PLUS?

Post by netmask254 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:53 pm

I'm looking into a customized 500~1500rpm PWM model. The speed is ideal however I'm not sure whether it's suitable for CPU cooling. Has anyone used it before?

Abula

Re: Is Gentle Typoon suitable for CPU cooling with HR01 PLUS

Post by Abula » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:29 pm

Gentle Typhoons are comonly use as CPU Heatsinks n Watercooler rads, they have good static preasure, but they have real ball bearing, and probably not the quietest fans out there, but they should perform really well. I had 5 running on my antec 1200, at 1850 they are loud, but below 700rpm they are decent (not silent), if you are set on it, probably go with D1225C12B4AP-14 its a 1450rpm fan, if my D1225C12B5AP-15 were able to drop to 500rpm those should too, the only problem is Gentle Typhoons are very high demand fans, barely in stock for couple of days and sold out everywhere, and for this reason also sometimes resellers jack up the price

As an alternative, not sure what are you trying to cool, i mean what cpu, or if you mobo has PWM 4pin connectors, but atm im using on my HR02 a Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PLPS 120mm PWM (650 -1500rpm), i like it a lot, even when its a close to 1000rpm (under stress tests) still acceptable on the TJ08. If you want something cheaper, Scythe Kama Flex 120mm PWM (300 - 1600rpm), i have one running on my mini mi build at 300rpm controlled via bios.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:56 am

Abula wrote:atm im using on my HR02 a Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PLPS 120mm PWM (650 -1500rpm), i like it a lot, even when its a close to 1000rpm (under stress tests) still acceptable on the TJ08. If you want something cheaper, Scythe Kama Flex 120mm PWM (300 - 1600rpm), i have one running on my mini mi build at 300rpm controlled via bios.
Apart that I would advice for a 1150 GT and not the 1450 one, but do you rather a 650rpm NB over a 300rpm Kama Flex (with reference to noise level)? I'm really interested to know about it.

Another alternative could be the relatively new SlipStream 140 PWM (Kaze Maru 2): the 800rpm voltage controlled SS 140 is one of the best sounding 140mm fans IME (when undervolted, but it might require some alternative mountings on an HR01+), otherwise the classical 120mm SlipStream PWM (not so durable, prone to clicking with ageing, but extremely silent and cheap) still worth a mention (your - and mine - Kama Flex and this latter are better than the Enermax Cluster I've used onto an HR01 and an Hyper 212+).

If the OP doesn't absolutely need PWM, IMO the Prolimatech Blue Vortex is also a very decent trade-off for heavy OCing (5.1GHz on a 2500k), but it might not fit the standard TR mountings, and personally I prefer it over the TY-140 used with the HR02/Macho TR coolers.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:10 am

quest_for_silence wrote:but do you rather a 650rpm NB over a 300rpm Kama Flex (with reference to noise level)? I'm really interested to know about it.
Well the 300rpm i cant hear it, unless i put my ear next to vent and even then its very faint (but so is the air flow, very faint), at 700rpm the NB is barely audible to me, but at the same rpms, i feel the NB pushes a little more air with less noise, all subjective and probably its more in head. But i like both fans, im about to buy 6x kamas flex PWM for changing my Gentle typhoons on my antec 1200, but not out of the GT being bad, but im about to increase the server to 16hdd (using cooler master 4n3, but i really dont like led fans), im going to use all bays for hdds so i have to drop my fan controller, so im going to let the mobo adjust the kamas from bios/software. I kinda wanted to try the PWM Slip Streams, but 4x less life idk if its worth it.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:47 am

Abula wrote:at 700rpm the NB is barely audible to me, but at the same rpms, i feel the NB pushes a little more air with less noise, all subjective and probably its more in head.

I think it's more than a feeling: NB's design leans towards pushing more air.
On the contrary, their pressure usually aren't as high as the stronger ones, and this feature might matter when dealing with dense heatsinks.

Just as a side note, if you are interested in more pressure, both the Prolimatech Blue Vortex 14 and Scythe Kaze Maru 2 140 PWM Sliptstream may offer noticeable higher pressure (for less airflow) over your NB. Here there're some data from a web italian reviewer:

Code: Select all

At ~16dB                     At ~14dB
                 speed/flow/pressure          speed/flow/pressure
NB            1044rpm/41cfm/0,889mmH2O      927rpm/34cfm/0,669mmH2O
Prolimatech    919rpm/33cfm/1,016mmH2O      800rpm/26cfm/0,762mmH2O
Scythe         986rpm/32cfm/1,334mmH2O      815rpm/24cfm/0,952mmH2O

I can not assure the reliability of these data, but they should be consistent among each other.
Abula wrote:I kinda wanted to try the PWM Slip Streams, but 4x less life idk if its worth it.

I don't know.
They usually costs the half - or even less - and I can say that within two years of use, all my Scythe Slipstream PWM (I have several now) become to be noisier (not noisy, but noticeable noisier than when brand new, regardless of the orientation).
On the contrary, I can't say if the claimed 200k or 300k hrs life of a Nano-SLI NB can be really true.

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:14 pm

@quest_for_silence, Thanks for the info on the fans, i always wanted to try out Prolimatech, but now im moving toward PWM fans, still little curious about it. Peronally i like a lot the Thermalright TY 140 (i have one on the mini build), and its pretty good at 700rpm (lowest i can set it on my intel mobo). And also in the same build i have the Kama 135mm 800rpm (dont like LED frontal fan of the Q08), while is a nice fan with good aiflow, i feel its the noisiest fan i have in the build, havent tried undervolting it yet, but at its stock 800rpm its noticable on the Q08, i been toying with the idea to try more 140mm, particularly interested on the Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-1 (i have a couple of PK3 on a Coolermaster SF19 which been great, but undervolted), but its expensive and its not that bad the Kama 135mm.
quest_for_silence wrote:
Abula wrote:I kinda wanted to try the PWM Slip Streams, but 4x less life idk if its worth it.

I don't know.
They usually costs the half - or even less - and I can say that within two years of use, all my Scythe Slipstream PWM (I have several now) become to be noisier (not noisy, but noticeable noisier than when brand new, regardless of the orientation).
On the contrary, I can't say if the claimed 200k or 300k hrs life of a Nano-SLI NB can be really true.
Well the Scythe Kama Flex PWM is $14.99 and the Scythe Slip Stream PWM is $10.99. The difference (where i usually buy my fans) is $4, that's around 37%... but the MTFB of the Kama Flex has 4x MTBF (hours) of the Slipstream, while i don't always trust manufacturer specs, at least is from the same one, so probably testing them under the same scenarios.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:18 pm

Abula wrote:i been toying with the idea to try more 140mm, particularly interested on the Noiseblocker NB-BlackSilentPro PK-1 (i have a couple of PK3 on a Coolermaster SF19 which been great, but undervolted), but its expensive and its not that bad the Kama 135mm.

AFAIK the PK-1 cannot be slowed down effectively, but I haven't tried personally.
However, broadly speaking I suspect that your disappointment with the Q08 could be more related to the fan placement and mounting, than that to the actual fan itself.

I was referring to the more refined NB, BS Pro and Multiframe: but I mean I'm going deep into OT, now.