Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
noisekiller
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:47 pm

Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by noisekiller » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi, folks!


I need a dead silent 120mm fan (and i mean dead silent ~7-9V) for exaust on my PC. Now this job has this:

http://www.links.hr/?option=artikl&id_a ... 50.908.126

And...i can hear it over everything else (it runs @5V)...The choice is this:

http://www.links.hr/index.php?option=ka ... howpics=on

It would be good to push fair amount of air from the case but i am aware i cann't have all...so please recommend something :(

P.S.-sorry my bad english...

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:20 pm

noisekiller wrote:so please recommend something

There isn't anything quieter all over the world, at 24cfm (5V).

If you drop a fair amount of airflow, you may give a try to the slower Kama Flow 2 900rpm and SlipStream L 800rpm (not available, I mean, at that site).
If you have a PWM splitter (or a good PWM header available) you may use also the SlipStream PWM 500-1500, or the Kama Flex PWM (you have to be already satisfied by your CPU heatsink or use some good software like SpeedFan).
The 800rpm Gentle Typhoon is usually also enough quiet, but if you can't stand a 700rpm Slipstream M, I have serious doubts you can be pleased by this ball bearing fan.

Eventually you may use 500rpm ones too (Gentle Typhoon, SlipStream SL), but then airflow is virtually not existent, IME: so mostly it will depend of your system specification.

flemeister
Posts: 346
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:42 am
Location: Australia

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by flemeister » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:35 pm

How about the 800RPM version of the Scythe Slipstream? At 5v it spins at ~400RPM. I'm using three of them in my rig (i5 2500K, HD6850 w/ Accelero S1, P182), although I've removed all dust filters and cut out fan grills to offset the reduced airflow. 800RPM is fast enough to move hot air from the case if required, especially when the filters and grills aren't there, otherwise they're connected to a manual fan controller at 400RPM all the time.

At 400RPM there is virtually no airflow noise to speak of (helped partially by cutting out the case's rear fan grill). There are no annoying motor noises either.

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:41 pm

flemeister wrote:At 400RPM there is virtually no airflow noise to speak of (helped partially by cutting out the case's rear fan grill). There are no annoying motor noises either.

There is also no airflow, or so about: so it depends of his system specs. IMO. At anyway, the SlipStream 800 isn't available to him.

noisekiller
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:47 pm

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by noisekiller » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:20 am

Hmh...is there any cheap way to get it under 5V whithout buying something like:

http://www.links.hr/?option=artikl&id_a ... 50.912.073

mkk
Posts: 687
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:51 pm
Location: Gefle, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by mkk » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:18 pm

This kind of adapter is being made cheaply by Zalman and noname manufacturers.
Image
You'll just need a fan that can start up at 5V as well of course.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2269
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:09 am
Location: Northern California.

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by xan_user » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:48 pm

edit:
crap, never mind... you said under 5v.

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:14 pm

noisekiller wrote:Hmh...is there any cheap way to get it under 5V whithout buying something like:

http://www.links.hr/?option=artikl&id_a ... 50.912.073

If you are fond with electricity, you may use a modded cable with a zener diode.
Just an example: http://www.ehow.com/how_5819671_reduce- ... -volt.html
Obviously, doing so you won't have any chance to let it run quicker when/if needed (it's not a rheobus).

Personally I would rather to give a try to the 900rpm Kama Flow 2 with some form of control (SpeedFan or a good BIOS), than going with a fixed voltage source, even if it's just an exhaust fan (I mean, not a CPU/GPU heatsink one).

noisekiller
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:47 pm

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by noisekiller » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:29 am

Well...im not good at all with soldering and such things. As for the fan...i don't mind if it would always run that low...i have AMD Phenom 555BE @ B55 3.8GHz. On it is Scythe Rasetsu which fan is set to minimum and in BIOS Fan control is on so the fan runs at 600rpm. The temps don't go over 45C.

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:49 am

noisekiller wrote:Well...im not good at all with soldering and such things. As for the fan...i don't mind if it would always run that low...i have AMD Phenom 555BE @ B55 3.8GHz. On it is Scythe Rasetsu which fan is set to minimum and in BIOS Fan control is on so the fan runs at 600rpm. The temps don't go over 45C.

I don't understand your message, noisekiller.

In the OP you've said that you can hear your SlipStream M at 5V and don't want to hear it anymore.
Now you're saying that you may like to have it at a fixed 5V. Or I have misunderstood you?
Then you add some info about your CPU heatsink, which seems unrelated to that question.

So, eventually, could you kindly explain me which is the *real* problem with your actual setup?
Thanks in advance for.

noisekiller
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:47 pm

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by noisekiller » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:19 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:
noisekiller wrote:Well...im not good at all with soldering and such things. As for the fan...i don't mind if it would always run that low...i have AMD Phenom 555BE @ B55 3.8GHz. On it is Scythe Rasetsu which fan is set to minimum and in BIOS Fan control is on so the fan runs at 600rpm. The temps don't go over 45C.

I don't understand your message, noisekiller.

In the OP you've said that you can hear your SlipStream M at 5V and don't want to hear it anymore.
Now you're saying that you may like to have it at a fixed 5V. Or I have misunderstood you?
Then you add some info about your CPU heatsink, which seems unrelated to that question.

So, eventually, could you kindly explain me which is the *real* problem with your actual setup?
Thanks in advance for.
Fixed 4.5 would be OK :) For the heatsink, there was a question asked earlier so i answered :mrgreen: The real problem...when that Sliepstream is not working the PC is dead silent...when it's on well...it is quiet but i want it to be dead silent.

Abula
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Location: Guatemala

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by Abula » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:36 pm

noisekiller wrote:Fixed 4.5 would be OK :) For the heatsink, there was a question asked earlier so i answered :mrgreen: The real problem...when that Sliepstream is not working the PC is dead silent...when it's on well...it is quiet but i want it to be dead silent.
The only way you are going to get it silent is if you are not running fans. But this is up to you into how much you will compromise, since you seem to be looking into almost silent setup, then go with low rpm fans. Try Slipstream 500rpm, undervolting it should drop down to 200-300rpm, where it will be very hard to hear or you want to try another, the Gentle Typhoons also have 500rpm version, just remember that you are compromising a lot of air/cooling for more quiet setup.

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:07 am

Abula wrote:Try Slipstream 500rpm, undervolting it should drop down to 200-300rpm
IMHO it's completely useless running it that way.

Apart you cannot start it at 5V, so a fixed voltage source isn't reliable under this fan starting voltage (a bit over 7V), but it won't exhaust almost anything more noticeable than what natural convection does.
So that perhaps cutting the relevant grille might work better...

A different thing would be running that way as an heatsink fan, or as a blowing fan extremely close to an heat source like a disk drive, but that's another question.

I don't know the GT 500, but I don't expect anything better with reference to that.

noisekiller
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:47 pm

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by noisekiller » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 am

Ok...now this is it:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=63236

And the only thing i can hear is the back fan...

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:36 am

noisekiller wrote:And the only thing i can hear is the back fan...

How do you get the 4V for the PSU fan? I mean, you might use it to feed the exhaust too.

noisekiller
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:47 pm

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by noisekiller » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:02 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
noisekiller wrote:And the only thing i can hear is the back fan...

How do you get the 4V for the PSU fan? I mean, you might use it to feed the exhaust too.
Because it's the same Slipstream M but on Seasonic control. I can se it runs slower and it is silent.

klappa
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by klappa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:40 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
noisekiller wrote:so please recommend something

There isn't anything quieter all over the world, at 24cfm (5V).

If you drop a fair amount of airflow, you may give a try to the slower Kama Flow 2 900rpm and SlipStream L 800rpm (not available, I mean, at that site).
If you have a PWM splitter (or a good PWM header available) you may use also the SlipStream PWM 500-1500, or the Kama Flex PWM (you have to be already satisfied by your CPU heatsink or use some good software like SpeedFan).
The 800rpm Gentle Typhoon is usually also enough quiet, but if you can't stand a 700rpm Slipstream M, I have serious doubts you can be pleased by this ball bearing fan.

Eventually you may use 500rpm ones too (Gentle Typhoon, SlipStream SL), but then airflow is virtually not existent, IME: so mostly it will depend of your system specification.
So basically your saying without any form off pwm control you should not go for 500rpm fans like the SlipStream PVM 500? My old motherboard doesn't any sort of PWM control so which 500rpm fans should i go for?

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:08 am

christianh wrote:So basically your saying without any form off pwm control you should not go for 500rpm fans like the SlipStream PVM 500?

No, you're wrong: I never said so. And above all, it's not true.
christianh wrote:My old motherboard doesn't any sort of PWM control so which 500rpm fans should i go for?

"My old motherboard" doesn't mean anything: but you may tell us which motherboard you do actually have, and maybe we could be able to help you a bit more. Possibly inside a dedicated thread (here, or under the mobo or troubleshooting sections).

klappa
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by klappa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:12 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
christianh wrote:So basically your saying without any form off pwm control you should not go for 500rpm fans like the SlipStream PVM 500?

No, you're wrong: I never said so. And above all, it's not true.
christianh wrote:My old motherboard doesn't any sort of PWM control so which 500rpm fans should i go for?

"My old motherboard" doesn't mean anything: but you may tell us which motherboard you do actually have, and maybe we could be able to help you a bit more. Possibly inside a dedicated thread (here, or under the mobo or troubleshooting sections).
I have the MSI Neo2 FIR

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P35-Neo2-FR---FIR.html

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:54 am

christianh wrote:I have the MSI Neo2 FIR

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P35-Neo2-FR---FIR.html

It's not so old, at all: I don't have had that board, but you should have a PWM CPU fan header, nearby the CPU socket.

Anyway, check your BIOS: usually under the Hardware Monitor section, MSI boards let's you choose a PWM (4 pin) or voltage controlled (3 pin) fan, for the CPU. Therefore you may control the fan by the BIOS or by SpeedFan (preferable, if you run any Windows). Under Linux you may look at fancontrol(8).

Even those other two 3-pin fan headers should be controllable via SpeedFan.

klappa
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by klappa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:33 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
christianh wrote:I have the MSI Neo2 FIR

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P35-Neo2-FR---FIR.html

It's not so old, at all: I don't have had that board, but you should have a PWM CPU fan header, nearby the CPU socket.

Anyway, check your BIOS: usually under the Hardware Monitor section, MSI boards let's you choose a PWM (4 pin) or voltage controlled (3 pin) fan, for the CPU. Therefore you may control the fan by the BIOS or by SpeedFan (preferable, if you run any Windows). Under Linux you may look at fancontrol(8).

Even those other two 3-pin fan headers should be controllable via SpeedFan.
I can control the cpu fan but not the other chassies fans? Anyway im using the ULNA connector to my cpu Noctua fan so i don't think Speedfan recognizes it and it don't using Speedfan 4.44 beta.

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:55 am

christianh wrote:I can control the cpu fan but not the other chassies fans? Anyway im using the ULNA connector to my cpu Noctua fan so i don't think Speedfan recognizes it and it don't using Speedfan 4.44 beta.
christianh, where do you come from? It looks like a bit odd that you can't understand my rather simple english.

However, if you run a Noctua fan, it has to be a voltage controlled one.
So, first you have to check the BIOS in order to set properly the hardware monitor section. But it might be unnecessary.
Then, you could upgrade your SpeedFan: there's nothing complicated to do and it won't hurt.
Even this second step can be unnecessary, as since march 2008 (so almost four years ago) SpeedFan can control your mobo: "...CPU 4 pin, sysfan 1 and sysfan 4 have full independent speed control and report rpms. The other sysfan headers are power only...".
Since you have at least three controllable headers, probably you have just to set properly the Advanced tab of the Configuration window.
You can find here: http://unitstep.net/blog/2007/11/02/usi ... an-speeds/ an old guide, which may still give you some useful visual references, along with some of the images of this recent thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=63277 (it doesn't apply to your MSI, but it shows you some the right SpeedFan tabs to manipulate).
Take also note that, if you should be unable to set the 4-pin header properly, you have just to connect the ULNA adapter to one of the two controllable case fan headers and let SpeedFan to control it (see above). If you don't have a spare one, use a cable splitter like the Zalman or Akasa ones.

Eventually, if unfortunately you are unable to comply with the above concise instructions, I'm sorry, but I can't help more.

klappa
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by klappa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:59 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
christianh wrote:I can control the cpu fan but not the other chassies fans? Anyway im using the ULNA connector to my cpu Noctua fan so i don't think Speedfan recognizes it and it don't using Speedfan 4.44 beta.
christianh, where do you come from? It looks like a bit odd that you can't understand my rather simple english.

However, if you run a Noctua fan, it has to be a voltage controlled one.
So, first you have to check the BIOS in order to set properly the hardware monitor section. But it might be unnecessary.
Then, you could upgrade your SpeedFan: there's nothing complicated to do and it won't hurt.
Even this second step can be unnecessary, as since march 2008 (so almost four years ago) SpeedFan can control your mobo: "...CPU 4 pin, sysfan 1 and sysfan 4 have full independent speed control and report rpms. The other sysfan headers are power only...".
Since you have at least three controllable headers, probably you have just to set properly the Advanced tab of the Configuration window.
You can find here: http://unitstep.net/blog/2007/11/02/usi ... an-speeds/ an old guide, which may still give you some useful visual references, along with some of the images of this recent thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=63277 (it doesn't apply to your MSI, but it shows you some the right SpeedFan tabs to manipulate).
Take also note that, if you should be unable to set the 4-pin header properly, you have just to connect the ULNA adapter to one of the two controllable case fan headers and let SpeedFan to control it (see above). If you don't have a spare one, use a cable splitter like the Zalman or Akasa ones.

Eventually, if unfortunately you are unable to comply with the above concise instructions, I'm sorry, but I can't help more.
Opps i know why i can't controll them. I connected them using molex :P

edit: No if im using the ULNA connectors the fan control on the motherboard won't work.

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:58 am

christianh wrote:edit: No if im using the ULNA connectors the fan control on the motherboard won't work.

christianh, I currently use a Noctua R8 through its ULNA adapter with a three years old MSI Intel board (Pentium Dual Core E5400), and I know it actually works with SpeedFan, and it also works with another two years old MSI AMD board (Athlon II X4 610e). So I'm confident it should work also with your P35: and if it should work only without the ULNA, due to a too much low starting voltage, well, get rid of it (it would be unnecessary), or use the alternate LNA adapter (but first check twice WHICH header you are using).

klappa
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:45 pm

Re: Silent 120mm exhaust needed

Post by klappa » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:06 am

quest_for_silence wrote:
christianh wrote:edit: No if im using the ULNA connectors the fan control on the motherboard won't work.

christianh, I currently use a Noctua R8 through its ULNA adapter with a three years old MSI Intel board (Pentium Dual Core E5400), and I know it actually works with SpeedFan, and it also works with another two years old MSI AMD board (Athlon II X4 610e). So I'm confident it should work also with your P35: and if it should work only without the ULNA, due to a too much low starting voltage, well, get rid of it (it would be unnecessary), or use the alternate LNA adapter (but first check twice WHICH header you are using).
Strange. Im using these, the NF-S12-1200.

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=prod ... d=5&lng=en

edit: Only Sysfan 1 and for 4 should work for the chassiesfan without the ULNA but seems i can't do a thing with the cpu fan. Neither change the rpm throttle it in BIOS nor in Speedfan. I use the Noctua fan above for the cpu.

Post Reply