Connect Schythe S-flex 1600 RPM to ZALMAN FAN MATE 2

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
embedded
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:23 am

Connect Schythe S-flex 1600 RPM to ZALMAN FAN MATE 2

Post by embedded » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:27 am

I'm looking for a cheap fan controller to control my Schythe S-Flex 1600 RPM fans.
I have 2 of these - one to cool my htpc and one to coll my reciever.

I came across ZALMAN FAN MATE 2 and I would like to know if I could connect the fan to it?
Is it possible to connect 2 fans to the fan controller?

If not, Please recommend me another fan controller that I could connect the 2 fans together.

10x

mkk
Posts: 687
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 1:51 pm
Location: Gefle, Sweden
Contact:

Re: Connect Schythe S-flex 1600 RPM to ZALMAN FAN MATE 2

Post by mkk » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:30 am

Yes, it's possible together with a 3-pin Y-cable to give you two connectors. There's a maximum amperage that the controller can handle but two of those fans together won't be a problem.

embedded
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Connect Schythe S-flex 1600 RPM to ZALMAN FAN MATE 2

Post by embedded » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:34 am

mkk wrote:Yes, it's possible together with a 3-pin Y-cable to give you two connectors. There's a maximum amperage that the controller can handle but two of those fans together won't be a problem.
thanks but this cable makes it expansive.

What about this one:
http://coolpc.com/Manual-12V-DC-Variabl ... PNFEM4.htm

it has 2 connectors.

Would it handle 2 S-Flex fans?

MikeC
Site Admin
Posts: 12283
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Connect Schythe S-flex 1600 RPM to ZALMAN FAN MATE 2

Post by MikeC » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:09 am

embedded wrote:I'm looking for a cheap fan controller to control my Schythe S-Flex 1600 RPM fans.
I have 2 of these - one to cool my htpc and one to coll my reciever.
Your HTPC & your receiver? So one is a computer and the other is an AV receiver? So the fan for the receiver will be... inside it? Outside? And both fans powered by the HTPC? Will you never have the receiver on while the HTPC is off? This sounds... ill conceived, but maybe I don't have the full picture. Please elaborate.

Personally, I would not touch that other fan controller you linked. Looks like it could only be a cheap variable resistor, prone to electrical/mechanical failure at some point in the near future. The Fanmate is far more reliable, and Fanmate + splitter will be under $10 anyway -- hard to think of a cheaper solution unless you're willing to go to a fixed 5V or 7V DIY setup.
Mike Chin, SPCR Editor/Publisher
Support SPCR by buying your gear through this link: Amazon

embedded
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Connect Schythe S-flex 1600 RPM to ZALMAN FAN MATE 2

Post by embedded » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:51 am

MikeC wrote:
embedded wrote:I'm looking for a cheap fan controller to control my Schythe S-Flex 1600 RPM fans.
I have 2 of these - one to cool my htpc and one to coll my reciever.
Your HTPC & your receiver? So one is a computer and the other is an AV receiver? So the fan for the receiver will be... inside it? Outside? And both fans powered by the HTPC? Will you never have the receiver on while the HTPC is off? This sounds... ill conceived, but maybe I don't have the full picture. Please elaborate.

Personally, I would not touch that other fan controller you linked. Looks like it could only be a cheap variable resistor, prone to electrical/mechanical failure at some point in the near future. The Fanmate is far more reliable, and Fanmate + splitter will be under $10 anyway -- hard to think of a cheaper solution unless you're willing to go to a fixed 5V or 7V DIY setup.
I always use my HTPC and AV receiver together.
The fans connected to the PSU so when the HTPC is on the 2 fans work.

both HTPC and AV receiver are stored in a closet so the fan is hooked to the closed.
I need a fan control with Molex connector to connect to my PSU.

Hope this clarifies things up.

MikeC
Site Admin
Posts: 12283
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Contact:

Re: Connect Schythe S-flex 1600 RPM to ZALMAN FAN MATE 2

Post by MikeC » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:45 am

You could just try the 5V or 7V trick. Pretty simple & cheaper than anything else. At 5V irrc, the fans would run ~700rpm, maybe 800. at 7V, probably 1000rpm or more. They would be on as long as the HTPC is powered up (and not in sleep). See this early SPCR article: Get 12V, 7V or 5V for your Fans
Mike Chin, SPCR Editor/Publisher
Support SPCR by buying your gear through this link: Amazon

Spoon Boy
Posts: 168
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:44 pm
Location: London

Re: Connect Schythe S-flex 1600 RPM to ZALMAN FAN MATE 2

Post by Spoon Boy » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:47 am

embedded wrote:thanks but this cable makes it expansive.
Im probably missing something but a http://coolpc.com/3-Pin-Y-Adapter/M/B0002EXHQ8.htm is only going to add $0.98 to the cost of a fanmate if order from the same place.
Case: P182, Fans: 4xNF-P12@800Rpm, MoBo: GA-EX58-UD4, CPU: i920, GPU: GV-N670OC-2GD, PSU: Seasonic 760 platinum, HDD: HD203WI, SSD: VTX4-25SAT3-128

embedded
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:23 am

Re: Connect Schythe S-flex 1600 RPM to ZALMAN FAN MATE 2

Post by embedded » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:01 am

Spoon Boy wrote:
embedded wrote:thanks but this cable makes it expansive.
Im probably missing something but a http://coolpc.com/3-Pin-Y-Adapter/M/B0002EXHQ8.htm is only going to add $0.98 to the cost of a fanmate if order from the same place.

You are right. I just noticed this.
I will get this the y cable and the 3 pin to molex cable.

The fan controller will hold the 2 fans right?
It says up to 5v starting power and each fan has 4v starting power.

Post Reply