reducing overall case noise

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Izanagi

reducing overall case noise

Post by Izanagi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:04 am

hey all,

first and foremost, great site and awesome community! i've recently build my first attempt at a relatively quiet gaming rig, and i have consulted this site countless of times to do so properly.

I winded up with a fractal design R4 case. My mobo and CPU were, although old, still fine, so i chose not to update them yet. it is an intel DP55WB with an i7-860. I don't overclock.

I did use a noctua NH-U12S in push pull config with a second NF-F12 PWM, not for the performance, but for the sexy looks. (i'm vain like that). These fans are both connected with the splitter to the mobo CPU fan controller. I know this is overkill. Underneath is sitting an MSI GTX770 with their standard twin frozr sink.

All this is powered by a corsair RM650 PSU.

I am using 3 case fans, 2 front intake and 1 rear exhaust, all Fractal Silent Series R2 140mm fans connected to the case voltage controller switch for convenience. I know these fans aren't the most silent ones out there, but since i got 2 with the case, i decided to spent only 10€ on one more to try them out before spending 3x20+€ on new fans.

All the above is to give you some context.

here's my problem: I find my case making considerable amount of noise (it's placed next to my screen so i can gasp at it while otherwise staring at some boring loading screen). Not surprisingly tbh, with a grand total of 7 fans in it.
What would you recommend to lower the noise, while maintaining proper airflow. i got 2 noctua LNAs and 1 fractal LNA lying around unused right now.

1) use the noctua LNAs on the noctua fans. (If so, 1 before splitter or 2 after?). Since i don't OC, i probably get away with it?

2) use LNAs on my case fans. i'm assuming the noctua LNAs will work with the fractal fans? and If i could/would/should only use 1 or 2 LNAs instead of all 3, which fans would be the best to silence with losing the least amount of cooling power? The fronts or the rear?

3) i've been looking at 5.25" fan controllers, but i must say i'm not a big fan of their looks. (again, call me vain ;)) That doesn't mean i'm open for suggestions. if there are controllers that go really nice with the fractal R4 and are good performers (as far as performance of controllers go that is), i'm all ears!

4) upgrade to better fans like noctuas or antec truequiets 140. i haven't read up much on this particular subject though. Yet. (i do prefer to stick with the fractal black/white or noctua brown/beige color themes.)

5) the fractal fans start at 5V, but the specs state it would be around 6V, so i'm guessing i'm at the limit here. correct? will they still start when the regulator is set at 5V in conjunction with the LNAs (so effectively giving them less than 4V).

i know it's a bunch of questions. but thanks in advance!

CA_Steve

Re: reducing overall case noise

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:18 am

Welcome to SPCR.

Start by isolating the noise sources. Then you can come up with a game plan.

Are the case fans already set to "low" on the controller switch? Have you unplugged them and seen if there is a difference in noise at idle? Can you hear the cpu fans at idle and under a cpu load like prime 95? Have you tried using MSI Afterburner's fan utility to set up a fan profile to tune the gfx card's fans?

You can check out how I tuned my R4 build in my signature link.

Izanagi

Post by Izanagi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:03 am

thanks for the real quick reply. i did as you said, and uncoupled all fans to find out which ones would be the noise makers. Turns out it's an old HDD i still have left inthere! I guess what my next new compnent will be :)

i ran the rig without the hdd and it was extremely silent, as i would've wanted it to be when i was putting it together.

thanks again!

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:55 am

a bit dated, but worth the read.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article8-page2.html

a simple cradle of packing foam works wonders, but leave room for air to circulate.

Izanagi

Post by Izanagi » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:00 am

I suspended my drive as per that guide and with this threat's pictures http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/commen ... ard_drive/ (without the crossed underneath, just 2 straight suspensions.)

The noise reduction is tremendous! My PC is really quiet now. as for my judgement anyway :)

issue solved. thanks again :)

mkk

Post by mkk » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:33 am

That turned out really well. You made good use of the screws too.

Izanagi

Post by Izanagi » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:31 am

mind you that's not my post on reddit, i merely used it as a guideline :)