Disparity between comparison scores (120mm)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Koldun

Disparity between comparison scores (120mm)

Post by Koldun » Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:26 pm

Not sure if this has been explained already, but I have noticed that some of the fan results in the latest review (Sharkoon/Silverstone fans) are different to the results posted in previous reviews. For instance, the bequiet! Silent Wings 2 fan records 34 C @ 11 dB in this review (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1342-page9.html) yet it is 27 C in the Sharkoon review. What's the deal with this?

Also, when did you review the Scythe Slip Stream 120-M? I can only find some really old reviews with the previous testing system.

quest_for_silence

Re: Disparity between comparison scores (120mm)

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:17 pm

Koldun wrote:Also, when did you review the Scythe Slip Stream 120-M? I can only find some really old reviews with the previous testing system.

Sometimes they "silently" (pun not intended) re-test some samples, and then publish the relevant data off of any official review: IIRC, in the past that has already happened with several CPU heatsinks, and with some PSUs too.

I can't help with the BeQuiet fan data (but I guess that a better "Subject" could help thread visibility).

Lawrence Lee
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Lawrence Lee » Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:05 am

Koldun wrote:Not sure if this has been explained already, but I have noticed that some of the fan results in the latest review (Sharkoon/Silverstone fans) are different to the results posted in previous reviews. For instance, the bequiet! Silent Wings 2 fan records 34 C @ 11 dB in this review (http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1342-page9.html) yet it is 27 C in the Sharkoon review. What's the deal with this?
I spotted some mistakes on the older charts that I forgot to fix (I'll get to it soon). As for the Silent Wings 2, it did 27C at 11~12 dBA and this time, instead of rounding it up to 12 dBA, we expanded it to cover both the 11 and 12 dBA boxes and dropped the 34C/11 dBA result from the chart altogether. That was a judgement call.
Also, when did you review the Scythe Slip Stream 120-M? I can only find some really old reviews with the previous testing system.
The Slip Stream 120-M was tested using our new test methodology but never officially reviewed. It's one of our favorites but not worth much discussion as it's an old fan that has been discontinued.

Koldun

Post by Koldun » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:27 am

And I can see why it was; it's the best-scoring 120mm fan at the 11dB range. Thanks guys.

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:23 am

Koldun wrote:And I can see why it was; it's the best-scoring 120mm fan at the 11dB range. Thanks guys.

At least in Europe you can still buy the Slipstreams, even if the relevant stocks are shrinking more and more each passing day.