Is there any fan control inside windows for Gigabyte Brix?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

porkchop

Is there any fan control inside windows for Gigabyte Brix?

Post by porkchop » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:57 pm

got my j1900 based brix up and running a couple of nights ago, unfortunately there is only the option of smart fan control on/off in the bios.

according to hwmonitor the fans minimum speed is ~2600rpm and climbs slightly with some use, temps are low ~45-55C. it sounds like monitor buzz, kind of ok at the lowest speed but gets higher pitched as it speeds up. i finally got a silent monitor a few months ago too...

speedfan doesn't work, my next shot is gigabyte easy tune, brix aren't officially supported but maybe i might luck out. i feel that the fan can be silent at maybe ~1500rpm? temps aren't really an issue yet.

so before i pull the whole thing apart and run it open case with no fan and a bigger heatsink does anyone have any other ideas?

hardware fan control may be be an option, complicated by the laptop style mini 4pin(pwm?) plug and i'm pretty sure it's a 5v fan.

porkchop

Re: Is there any fan control inside windows for Gigabyte Bri

Post by porkchop » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:24 am

easy tune was a bust but i found something else that works, argus monitor. bad news is that it's not free.
perhaps when speedfan is updated support may be added.

20% fan speed = ~1850rpm which is extremely quiet and very acceptable. not sure how much temps are affected but right now during normal use it's sitting at ~50C in a ~25C room.

my search continues for free fan control software that is compatible, the good news is that the brix can be almost silent with it.

edit:
stressing with occt, max temps cpu 61C, gpu 63C, cpu+gpu 68C.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:38 pm

ok, this should be the last bits of info from me.

temps drop by about 10C when running out of the case.
not all that surprising considering the fairly restricted intakes, expect even better improvements for the other components since they're almost completely enclosed with no air in or out. opening the case one time the ssd was actually warm, which i have never felt before.

very quick and probably not very accurate power numbers:
wifi and bt on, wireless mouse and bt kb connected, monitor on.
off 0w <nice!
idle 9w
occt cpu 11w
occt gpu 16w
occt psu (cpu+gpu) 21w <makes no sense

at 1am the night before i started hearing it with the fan at 20%, annoyingly that is the minimum argus monitor will allow. i tried the speedfan beta 4 that came out yesterday with no luck.

i almost succeeded in mounting a zalman nbf47 northbridge hs onto it, but the mounting holes were just a tiny bit too close together. having studied it a bit afterwards, by using one of the original mounting holes and the mini-pcie mounting hole from the other side of the mb you may be able to get pretty good contact.

Lucky Luciano

Post by Lucky Luciano » Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:56 am

At the risk of sounding patronising - did you change the PWM mode to manual as described here: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1275-page2.html ?

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:29 am

unfortunately the fan/chipset doesn't show up at all, almost certain now that speedfan simply doesn't support it yet.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:33 am

occt cpu 11w
occt gpu 16w
occt psu (cpu+gpu) 21w <makes no sense
Running up against the thermal limit of the device - it's throttling.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:09 pm

pretty sure it isn't, intel lists the max temp as 95C and it was <70C at the time, from memory the cpu was still turbo boosting to 2.4ghz.

i'm actually surprised by how high it is considering the load power for cpu ang gpu separately, by simple addition it should only have been ~17-18w. like i said though, the measurements were quick and probably not very accurate.

porkchop

Post by porkchop » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:18 pm

necro-post.

speedfan support should be added soon, presumably beta first then stable.

hooray for owners who will benefit!