In search of an efficient 80 mm fan - probably ...

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Immanuel

In search of an efficient 80 mm fan - probably ...

Post by Immanuel » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:21 am

I am modding an old harddisc recorder with great converters but too much fan noise. It was build to replace 2" tape machines which where in their own rooms anyway, so I guess fan noise was less of an issue back then.

Replacing the 80 mm PSU fan
The PSU is a non-standard design with 18 volt rails for the converters. So I will have to stick with the electronics and make do with a less noisy fan. The current fan moves a good deal of air ... and sound. Do you have good suggestions for a 80 mm fan which is relatively modest with the dBs, though it still is good at getting the air from a to b? Is this a situation, where it would make sense to add an external 80 -> 92 mm funnel and go for a 92 mm fan?

MikeC
Site Admin

Re: In search of an efficient 80 mm fan - probably ...

Post by MikeC » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:15 pm

Any pics?

If has the same form as a standard atx psu, with straight through airflow design & fan on the back exhaust side, then just replaceit with a quieter one -- or slow it down with resistors or zener diodes. Fan swap is probably easiest. I have a lot of those old 80mm Panaflo fans which were very good for their size.

It'd be nice to know what power load you're dealing with, and how efficient the PSU is.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: In search of an efficient 80 mm fan - probably ...

Post by xan_user » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:52 pm

any way to merge these threads into one? op might get more help.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=68283