Extreme Sound Damping

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

est1984

Extreme Sound Damping

Post by est1984 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:47 pm

I'm trying to work out how to make fan's sound dampened as much as possible so I come across the thought of using a gasket, rubber washers, long screws which span the whole width of the fan and fastened together. I'm going to trial it on my current machine before building my next. The images below should clarify.

Gasket

Screws

#6-32 x 1.1/4 Imperial Slotted Pan Head Screws

Anyone got any thoughts on it?

lodestar

Re: Extreme Sound Damping

Post by lodestar » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:19 pm

I have used the gasket pictured which is the Acousti AFG120B. The main point of the combination of the waisted screw, washer and gasket is to give a soft mounting. So the screw only needs to be tightened just enough to compress the washer and gasket sufficiently to close the gap between the fan and the case. Nothing firmer than that is needed. The plain or waisted area at the top of the screw means that it does not contact the fan mounting hole giving a floating fixture which should help reduce fan vibrations to a minimum. However many fans now come with anti-vibration pads either fitted separately - for example Noctua - or built into the frame and may also be supplied with soft rubber mounting pins. So the need to buy and fit gaskets is questionable.

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:56 pm

IMO, far better off just using rubber fan mounting grommets.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:44 pm

xan_user wrote:IMO, far better off just using rubber fan mounting grommets.
+1

Placid

Post by Placid » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:47 pm

Rubber (or silicone) grommets by themselves are much more effective at decoupling the fan. Gaskets can serve another purpose in this case; I use them to seal the gap around the fan created by the grommets.

Smanci

Post by Smanci » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:50 am

Placid wrote:Rubber (or silicone) grommets by themselves are much more effective at decoupling the fan. Gaskets can serve another purpose in this case; I use them to seal the gap around the fan created by the grommets.
Have you found any noticeable drop in turbulent noise compared to not using a gasket?

quest_for_silence

Post by quest_for_silence » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:29 am

est1984 wrote:Anyone got any thoughts on it?

It's faintly reminiscent of the NoiseBlocker BlackSilent Pro bundle: in that case, I never noticed a clearly audible difference.

Silent but deadly

Post by Silent but deadly » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:53 am

I have a few NoiseBlocker B12-2's which come with the mounting hardware linked below. I've found that you can make a small but noticeable difference by getting the tightness of the nuts just right. It can help to lessen reverberation through the case.

http://content.hwigroup.net/images/prod ... 800rpm.jpg

xan_user
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by xan_user » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:24 pm

why not simple rubber grommets to mount your fan?

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Pieces-Rub ... B00H9905KA

even a squirt of soft silicone caulking with adhesive in each mounting hole performs nearly as good, and there's still no mounting hardware needed...