FanXpert2 vs ??

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LazyBoy

FanXpert2 vs ??

Post by LazyBoy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:30 am

I'm building an H97, mini-ITX gaming machine. I was planning to use the Asus H97I-PLUS, and read that it had 3 PWM headers and FanXpert2.

Before I pull the trigger, is FanXpert2 and PWM fans the best approach for auto fan control? I'm not familiar with what the other MOBO makers might use. (I want software control -- I'll forget to flip a manual switch.)

Abula

Re: FanXpert2 vs ??

Post by Abula » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:29 am

Until recent, meaning Skylake, i seen asus have the ability of switching PWM headers into Voltage controlled, and vice versa. Previous to this, at least on Z87 the CPU_FAN was the only one true PWM, the rest, SYS_FAN, were voltage controlled, i would assume the same applies to H97, but i dont own that motherbaord to say it for sure, but thats my guess. I would either buy fans 3pin for SYS_FAN headers if you want to go with H97 or go into H170 they should allow this switching to PWM, but you better crosscheck it with the specific model, as not all design the same always.

LazyBoy

Post by LazyBoy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:11 pm

Thanks. I've already got a socket 1150 processor, so it's H97 for me. The manual for the board clearly states 3 pwm, but I understand that might be misleading.

But is Fan Expert2+ the best software fan control system? Are there competitive solutions from other motherboard makers (or third parties) that I should consider instead?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:12 pm

The Asus H97I-PLUS has a PWM only CPU fan header, and two chassis fan headers which are also PWM. Like many recent boards from Asus the chassis fan headers will also support a DC mode so that 3-pin fans can be used. All three headers support FanXpert 2. Given the right choice of PWM fans it is not difficult to achieve relatively low idle speeds. This can be done by using the BIOS fan tuning and selecting the Silent Profile option. The main advantage of FanXpert 2 is that it will allow even lower speeds than just BIOS settings. So typically it may be worth trying just the BIOS options first, and then use FanXpert 2 only if you really need slower speeds. For example using the Noctua NF-F12 fan which is supplied with the Noctua NH-U12S CPU cooler with just the BIOS settings would give idle speeds of around 350 to 450 rpm, depending on ambient temperature. FanXpert 2 would reduce these speeds by around 100 rpm.

As far as 3-pin fans are concerned, Asus BIOS motherboard control is equivalent to around 7V to 12V. FanXpert 2 reduces this to more like 5V to 12V. So used with some of the 3-pin fans that have a limited top speed (700 to 800 rpm) it can allow idle speeds in the sub-300 rpm range just like PWM fans. The loss of the top speed available with PWM fans may be an issue.

FanXpert2 works with hardware on the Asus boards so it is normally the best option. It might be worth trying SpeedFan but I would say only consider this after trying both the Asus BIOS and/or FanXpert2 controls first.

LazyBoy

Post by LazyBoy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:40 pm

Thanks very much to both of you. Your answers are informative even though I keep phrasing my question badly.

Given that I haven't bought a motherboard yet, for the best fan control should I consider manufacturers other than Asus? Does anything compete with Fan Xpert2+?

lodestar

Post by lodestar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:48 pm

Most manufacturers have something like a Silent setting in the BIOS, for example GigaByte. Asrock certainly allow PWM duty cycle settings down to 12.5% in their latest boards which gives a degree of FanXpert 2 functionality without needing to use software. But for the moment the Asus BIOS fan controls combined with FanXpert is a combination which no other motherboard maker really approaches.

edh

Post by edh » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:02 pm

LazyBoy wrote:Does anything compete with Fan Xpert2+?
Yes. Using the fan automatic fan control from the BIOS is better as you don't have to run any software. Fan Xpert is optional and for many users adds nothing to a proper configuration of the controls in the BIOS.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:13 pm

For Z97:

If you want BIOS based fan controls:
Asrock is best, followed by MSI, then Asus, then Gigabyte.

If you want s/w based fan controls:
Asus is best.

There's also SpeedFan as a third party s/w control.

baii

Post by baii » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:55 pm

You really want to read the manual for the fan header pin out if you want to control 3 pin dc fan. It seems that they really want to move to all pwm.
Some fan software from board manf actually can change setting in the bios. I believe for itx, every manf only put 2 pwm header except for asus. Only asus offer more than 2 fan header in itx, where the maximus impact offer 4 - 5 depending on which generation.

Btw, Not all asus header can be both pwm and dc control. I had the z87 impact, the cpu header is switchable, while all other 3 are dc based. But pwm fan can be dc controlled, it may not go down as much as pwm, but it is controllable.

CA_Steve

Post by CA_Steve » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:29 pm

baii wrote:Btw, Not all asus header can be both pwm and dc control. I had the z87 impact, the cpu header is switchable, while all other 3 are dc based. But pwm fan can be dc controlled, it may not go down as much as pwm, but it is controllable.
That applies to '8 series, not the '9 series.