looking fan controller with pwm input and 3 pin output

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ultrachrome
Patron of SPCR

looking fan controller with pwm input and 3 pin output

Post by ultrachrome » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:34 pm

I want to use an old pair of Nexus D12SL-12 to replace the fans on my EVGA GTX970 but I want to retain the ability for the card to control the fan speed.

I previously used these fans on my GTX 560Ti 448 and they did a great job of cooling the card but at 12V they were slightly noisier than I'd like when the card was idle.

I believe the Phanteks PH-PWHUB will do this and I've seen some DIY designs. Just wondering if there are others to consider.

quest_for_silence

Re: looking fan controller with pwm input and 3 pin output

Post by quest_for_silence » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:06 pm

I didn't get you: how did you do the fan control on your previous GTX 560TI 448?

Abula

Post by Abula » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:31 pm

ultrachrome wrote:I want to use an old pair of Nexus D12SL-12 to replace the fans on my EVGA GTX970 but I want to retain the ability for the card to control the fan speed.

I previously used these fans on my GTX 560Ti 448 and they did a great job of cooling the card but at 12V they were slightly noisier than I'd like when the card was idle.

I believe the Phanteks PH-PWHUB will do this and I've seen some DIY designs. Just wondering if there are others to consider.
The only controller that i seen do that is the Phanteks hub, but i really never tried into how is the % translation, most people dont care much about this type of things, but us here do more.

Now most new cards use PWM fans, but worth mentioning that not all use standard PWM design. My Galaxy GTX780 (reference) had issues with the PWM design of the Accelero III, but was fixed when i upgraded toward the Accelero IV. MSI lately seems to be using standard PWM design, but its not fully 100% like the motherboard PWM, for example i reach 52% PWM due to temperature and im already at 900rpms, for this to be reached on the motherboard i would need close to 70%, so there are some discrepancies, not a big deal, but what im trying to say is that not all work outs the way you plan, specially on PWM on GPUs, and adding another variable with the hub.... idk really how it will work.

Remember you do need an adapter before the hub, as the GPUs headers are not equal to motherboard headers, so you need a Gelid CA-PWM-02 PWM Fan Adapter Sleeved Cable Cord for VGA Cards Cooler Fan

edh

Post by edh » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:56 pm

On my last system I had a PWM-DC convertor from a company called PaQ although I'm not sure if they still produce it. It did allow a full range of adjustment so that PWM % could be set to translate for an appropriate voltage. Works really well actually.