Mistakenly bought PWM case fans. Options?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
oneleaf
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:54 am

Mistakenly bought PWM case fans. Options?

Post by oneleaf » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:30 pm

I am sure this happens a lot. Seeing my 4-pin headers on the motherboard, I bought a bunch of PWM Noctua case fans (NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM).

Then, I found they didn't spin up, and some research shows me the motherboard headers are PWM only for the CPU fan, but the others have a different pin-out and are meant to be voltage controlled.

I was wondering what people here might recommend. I am fine getting some manual fan controllers to stick in the case. I think the BIOS also has some options for manually setting a percentage on these fans, so I could do it like this as well, I think. Is there any reason to replace the fans with non-PWM ones? Or is it totally safe and reliable to manually control these?

Generally speaking, is it OK to always buy PWM fans and simply use voltage control when PWM is not available? Or is it important to get the right fan for the right job? Thanks for any advice!

Fire-Flare
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Mistakenly bought PWM case fans. Options?

Post by Fire-Flare » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:10 pm

PWM fans won't be harmed in any way if they're run off a 3-pin header or undervolted.

I don't see why they wouldn't spin on your board, (unless the initial setting is too low?) but I suppose you could use a pointy object to extract the 4th pin and see if they'll work as 3-pin fans.
My build: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69018

Swiftech MCP35X review: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=65287

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Mistakenly bought PWM case fans. Options?

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:36 pm

oneleaf wrote:Then, I found they didn't spin up
If they didn't spin, maybe the voltage is under 6.5V: try to change the relevant header settings in the BIOS (or use a sw interface if available, like FanXpert or SpeedFan).

oneleaf wrote:Is there any reason to replace the fans with non-PWM ones? Or is it totally safe and reliable to manually control these?

Try: they could have a relatively high minimum speed for your needs, in case you might hook up them all to the CPU fan header using a PWM splitter (albeit depending of your hardware cooling needs).

oneleaf wrote:Generally speaking, is it OK to always buy PWM fans and simply use voltage control when PWM is not available? Or is it important to get the right fan for the right job?
No, it's not ok at all: your second question points to the right move.
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

oneleaf
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:54 am

Re: Mistakenly bought PWM case fans. Options?

Post by oneleaf » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:46 pm

Thanks guys,
The Gigabyte board I have (old G33 platform) has very limited BIOS settings for fans. Any type of automatic fan speed setting risked having the fan not spin, so I would have to leave it on full blast. I do plan on getting a new motherboard (Skylake) soon, so I might get one that has PWM chassis fan headers.

Fire-Flare
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Mistakenly bought PWM case fans. Options?

Post by Fire-Flare » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:11 pm

oneleaf wrote:Thanks guys,
The Gigabyte board I have (old G33 platform) has very limited BIOS settings for fans. Any type of automatic fan speed setting risked having the fan not spin, so I would have to leave it on full blast. I do plan on getting a new motherboard (Skylake) soon, so I might get one that has PWM chassis fan headers.
I can vouch for ASUS having excellent fan control; They've integrated custom speed ramping into the BIOS so we don't need to use SpeedFan anymore.
My build: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69018

Swiftech MCP35X review: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=65287

Neocray
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:51 am
Location: France

Re: Mistakenly bought PWM case fans. Options?

Post by Neocray » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:37 am

Except FanXpert doesn't let you choose which temperature probe is used to set the fan control. That is its only flaw against an aging Speedfan.

Button_Mash
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:39 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Mistakenly bought PWM case fans. Options?

Post by Button_Mash » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:39 pm

Neocray wrote:Except FanXpert doesn't let you choose which temperature probe is used to set the fan control. That is its only flaw against an aging Speedfan.
I can't comment on FanXpert but the ASUS UEFI lets you specify which sensor to use for each fan. The only flaw is that there isn't really a good sensor to use for GPU temperature.
Intel Core i7-6700K | Scythe Kotetsu | Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 | Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 | Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" | EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 | Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q w/ Fractal Design Venturi HP-14 fans (2 front, 1 rear) | Corsair RM650i

Fire-Flare
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Mistakenly bought PWM case fans. Options?

Post by Fire-Flare » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:27 pm

Button_Mash wrote:
Neocray wrote:Except FanXpert doesn't let you choose which temperature probe is used to set the fan control. That is its only flaw against an aging Speedfan.
I can't comment on FanXpert but the ASUS UEFI lets you specify which sensor to use for each fan. The only flaw is that there isn't really a good sensor to use for GPU temperature.
My Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 board has headers for temperature probes that I connected to my GPU for custom fan ramping.
My build: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69018

Swiftech MCP35X review: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=65287

Neocray
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:51 am
Location: France

Re: Mistakenly bought PWM case fans. Options?

Post by Neocray » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:29 am

Well, that is useful. Where did you get the probes ?
Button_Mash wrote:I can't comment on FanXpert but the ASUS UEFI lets you specify which sensor to use for each fan. The only flaw is that there isn't really a good sensor to use for GPU temperature.
I have an Asus UEFI, and it doesn't let me choose the sensor as well.
I have three system-wide monitoring tools: FanXpert (Asus Suite, actually), Speedfan and Corsair Link. Speedfan is not able to control half of the fan headers, FanXpert uses only the CPU temperature sensor, and Corsair Link is the only one to actually show the GPU sensors, but it offers no control over the fans...

Fire-Flare
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Mistakenly bought PWM case fans. Options?

Post by Fire-Flare » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:27 pm

Neocray wrote:Well, that is useful. Where did you get the probes ?
FrozenCPU.com still carries them: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10767 ... _-_25.html
My build: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69018

Swiftech MCP35X review: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=65287

Abula
Posts: 3611
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Location: Guatemala

Re: Mistakenly bought PWM case fans. Options?

Post by Abula » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:01 pm

Fire-Flare wrote:
Neocray wrote:Well, that is useful. Where did you get the probes ?
FrozenCPU.com still carries them: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10767 ... _-_25.html
Is frozen operating again? just wondering since it was one of my gotto places for certain things, but last i checked they had some issues. Have you bought from the recently?
GameMi - Intel i9 9900K + Gigabyte Z390 AM + Asus RTX2080Ti Strix | MiniMi - Intel i7 8700K + ASRock Z370ITX + MSI RTX2080Ti
StreaMi - Intel i9 7940X + AsRock X299 Taichi + Asus GTX1080Ti Strix | WorkMi - AMD 1950X + AsRock X399 Taichi + MSI GTX1080
ServeMi - Intel Xeon E3-1230 + Supermicro X9SCM-F + 144TB | StoreMi - Intel Xeon E3 1240v5 + Supermicro X11SSM-F + 42TB | CamMi - Intel i7 4770K + MSI H81i + Blue Iris

Fire-Flare
Posts: 422
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:44 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Mistakenly bought PWM case fans. Options?

Post by Fire-Flare » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:11 pm

Abula wrote:Is frozen operating again? just wondering since it was one of my gotto places for certain things, but last i checked they had some issues. Have you bought from the recently?
I have not, though my research shows that some of the employees started their own company called ModMyMods, who carry three different lengths of probes:

https://modmymods.com/thermal/cable.html
My build: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=69018

Swiftech MCP35X review: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=65287

Post Reply