Noctua NF-A15 vs Thermalright TY-147A

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
koxy
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:08 am

Noctua NF-A15 vs Thermalright TY-147A

Post by koxy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:57 pm

Hi,

Would like to know Your opinion about these fans, which one is quietest up to 700 rpm?
Gigabyte Z97P-D3 | Intel Core i7-4770K@4.2 Ghz | Noctua NH-D15 + 2x Thermalright TY-147a | Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1600 CL8@1866 CL8 | MSI R9 390 with 2x Artic F12 PWM | BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + 1GB WD Caviar Green | Fractal Design Define R4 + 3x Thermalright TY-147SQ(2 intake 1 exhaust) | Corsair RM750i 750W

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Noctua NF-A15 vs Thermalright TY-147A

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:20 pm

koxy wrote:Hi,

Would like to know Your opinion about these fans, which one is quietest up to 700 rpm?
My very personal opinion is that the TR fan is slightly but clearly more agreable.
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

Abula
Posts: 3586
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm
Location: Guatemala

Re: Noctua NF-A15 vs Thermalright TY-147A

Post by Abula » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:49 am

koxy wrote:Hi,

Would like to know Your opinion about these fans, which one is quietest up to 700 rpm?
I think both are great fans, i used to run NF-A15 PWM 1200 on my Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE and i have no regrets, now i run two TY-147A PWM on Prolimatech Genesis, also good fans, i run them mostly at 450rpms and rarely i see them ramp to 600rpm, most of the time they stay below 500rpm. Another very good PWM fan is the NF-P14R PWM REDUX, cheaper than NF-A15 PWM, and decent in all aspects. I leave you a graph the range of operation of the 3 fans.

Image
GameMi - Intel i9 9900K + Gigabyte Z390 AM + Asus RTX2080Ti Strix | MiniMi - Intel i7 8700K + ASRock Z370ITX + MSI RTX2080Ti
StreaMi - Intel i9 7940X + AsRock X299 Taichi + Asus GTX1080Ti Strix | WorkMi - AMD 1950X + AsRock X399 Taichi + MSI GTX1080
ServeMi - Intel Xeon E3-1230 + Supermicro X9SCM-F + 144TB | StoreMi - Intel Xeon E3 1240v5 + Supermicro X11SSM-F + 42TB | CamMi - Intel i7 4770K + MSI H81i + Blue Iris

lodestar
Posts: 1683
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:29 am
Location: UK

Re: Noctua NF-A15 vs Thermalright TY-147A

Post by lodestar » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:22 am

It might be worth noting that there are two versions of the NF-A15, the one supplied with Noctua's CPU coolers that has a top speed of 1500 rpm and the retail version which has a 1200 rpm spec. I have the retail version to hand.

There are also two versions of the Thermalright TY-147A, the original one that was oblong (140mm x 152mm) and the newer TY-147ASQ version which is 140mm square. I have both of these. Top speed for both is rated as 1300 rpm. The SQ model has a more aggressive PWM profile than the earlier one.

As requested I will run all of these at 700 rpm or close to it, and try to make some judgement about their sound.

First, the NF-A15 1200 running at 701 rpm at 55% PWM duty cycle. No perceptible noise at 1 metre/3 feet, at close range (next to the ear) a low pitched tone.

Second, the original TY-147A running at 703 rpm at 63% duty cycle. A distinct clicking noise is present, maybe just a bad sample. This was one of two fans that I acquired new for only £5 each. The other one was OK but I hadn't tested this one until now. So that's why they were so cheap...

Third, the TY-147ASQ running at 705 rpm at 48% duty cycle. Noise levels I would say about the same as the NF-A15. Tone at close range is more high pitched than the A15.

My conclusion is that there is not enough in it to pick one over the other in a working system, at this speed level or at lower speeds. The TY-147ASQ by the way is going into a Fractal Design R5 gaming system that I am building for a family member. This system will have a Noctua NH-U14S cooler with the 1500 rpm version of the A15. The 1200 rpm retail version A15 is going to be the rear exhaust fan and will be linked to or chained from the CPU cooler using the Asus CPU_OPT fan header.

koxy
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:08 am

Re: Noctua NF-A15 vs Thermalright TY-147A

Post by koxy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:26 am

Abula wrote: I think both are great fans, i used to run NF-A15 PWM 1200 on my Thermalright Silver Arrow IBE and i have no regrets, now i run two TY-147A PWM on Prolimatech Genesis, also good fans, i run them mostly at 450rpms and rarely i see them ramp to 600rpm, most of the time they stay below 500rpm. Another very good PWM fan is the NF-P14R PWM REDUX, cheaper than NF-A15 PWM, and decent in all aspects. I leave you a graph the range of operation of the 3 fans.

Image

Thanks Abula for detailed info, i own 2x NF-P14R and must say I'm not happy with them, with my A15 (1500 rpm) have better temp results and are much quieter which is obvious because they spin at lower rpm (650 rpm max) to keep temps at reasonable levels. At 650 rpm NF-P14R are louder and temps also higher. what i don't like with A15 is their colour scheme, that's why im thinking about TY-147A
lodestar wrote:It might be worth noting that there are two versions of the NF-A15, the one supplied with Noctua's CPU coolers that has a top speed of 1500 rpm and the retail version which has a 1200 rpm spec. I have the retail version to hand.

There are also two versions of the Thermalright TY-147A, the original one that was oblong (140mm x 152mm) and the newer TY-147ASQ version which is 140mm square. I have both of these. Top speed for both is rated as 1300 rpm. The SQ model has a more aggressive PWM profile than the earlier one.

As requested I will run all of these at 700 rpm or close to it, and try to make some judgement about their sound.

First, the NF-A15 1200 running at 701 rpm at 55% PWM duty cycle. No perceptible noise at 1 metre/3 feet, at close range (next to the ear) a low pitched tone.

Second, the original TY-147A running at 703 rpm at 63% duty cycle. A distinct clicking noise is present, maybe just a bad sample. This was one of two fans that I acquired new for only £5 each. The other one was OK but I hadn't tested this one until now. So that's why they were so cheap...

Third, the TY-147ASQ running at 705 rpm at 48% duty cycle. Noise levels I would say about the same as the NF-A15. Tone at close range is more high pitched than the A15.

My conclusion is that there is not enough in it to pick one over the other in a working system, at this speed level or at lower speeds. The TY-147ASQ by the way is going into a Fractal Design R5 gaming system that I am building for a family member. This system will have a Noctua NH-U14S cooler with the 1500 rpm version of the A15. The 1200 rpm retail version A15 is going to be the rear exhaust fan and will be linked to or chained from the CPU cooler using the Asus CPU_OPT fan header.
Thanks. £5 its really cheap. If noise lvl is same there is no need to replace my A15's but i'm aesthetic freak so you know... xD
Gigabyte Z97P-D3 | Intel Core i7-4770K@4.2 Ghz | Noctua NH-D15 + 2x Thermalright TY-147a | Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1600 CL8@1866 CL8 | MSI R9 390 with 2x Artic F12 PWM | BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + 1GB WD Caviar Green | Fractal Design Define R4 + 3x Thermalright TY-147SQ(2 intake 1 exhaust) | Corsair RM750i 750W

quest_for_silence
Posts: 5275
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:12 am
Location: ITALY

Re: Noctua NF-A15 vs Thermalright TY-147A

Post by quest_for_silence » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:08 pm

koxy wrote:There are also two versions of the Thermalright TY-147A, the original one that was oblong (140mm x 152mm) and the newer TY-147ASQ version which is 140mm square

These are not two versions of the same fan, but two different fans: BTW, I guess the OP may need some with 120mm holes (in case the SQ lineup would not be an option).

koxy wrote:what i don't like with A15 is their colour scheme

Spray paint it.
Regards,
Luca

Support SPCR, use these links when you buy: NCIX, Amazon and Newegg

koxy
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:08 am

Re: Noctua NF-A15 vs Thermalright TY-147A

Post by koxy » Sat Sep 10, 2016 5:22 pm

quest_for_silence wrote:There are also two versions of the Thermalright TY-147A, the original one that was oblong (140mm x 152mm) and the newer TY-147ASQ version which is 140mm square
These are not two versions of the same fan, but two different fans: BTW, I guess the OP may need some with 120mm holes (in case the SQ lineup would not be an option).

Yeah i need ty-147a version to fit my nh-d15
quest_for_silence wrote: Spray paint it.
Since i know blades cant be removed without damaging fan so its not a option.
Gigabyte Z97P-D3 | Intel Core i7-4770K@4.2 Ghz | Noctua NH-D15 + 2x Thermalright TY-147a | Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1600 CL8@1866 CL8 | MSI R9 390 with 2x Artic F12 PWM | BenQ XL2730Z 144Hz | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + 1GB WD Caviar Green | Fractal Design Define R4 + 3x Thermalright TY-147SQ(2 intake 1 exhaust) | Corsair RM750i 750W

Post Reply