recomendation for a 120mm fan to hang under a ninja4

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

corbis

recomendation for a 120mm fan to hang under a ninja4

Post by corbis » Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 am

recomendation for a 120mm fan

will be attached (by the included clips) to the bottom face of a scythe ninja4 heatsink blowing air up through the heatsink

am having an issue with the stock fan as it has developed a drone, can be remedied by giving the pc case a knock but is becoming too frequent to ignore.

the positioning of the fan means that the blades are hanging down from the fan body and are pushing themselves further down as they push the air up.

this is for a constant and very low noise airflow through the heatsink, with air venting through the mesh top of my (fractal node 804) case.

I live in the UK

suggestions please

quest_for_silence

Re: recomendation for a 120mm fan to hang under a ninja4

Post by quest_for_silence » Fri May 19, 2017 7:16 am

corbis wrote:will be attached (by the included clips) to the bottom face of a scythe ninja4 heatsink blowing air up through the heatsink

Horizontally spinning is an issue for most fans, particularly over time: the sleeve bearing of the Ninja fan is the least suited for that.

Broadly speaking, you may look to usual suspects (true FDB or dual ball bearing fans): if you do need a PWM fan, you may look at a Be Quiet SW3 or a Fractal HP-12, albeit at lower paces they both are relatively weak. For DC fans there are probably a few more options (most notably, Noise Blocker ones).

Even if I guess you have no interest to follow such an advice (are you trying sort of stack effect, right?), I recommed you to place the fan differently (instead that wearing out one fan by one fan): even because IMHO there's no decisive advantage in stack effect, particularly in an "horizontally" laid down case.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri May 19, 2017 7:34 am

What motherboard do you own?
How do you control the fan?
Does your motherboard allow DC or just PWM on CPU_FAN header?

corbis

Post by corbis » Fri May 19, 2017 8:26 am

asrock z97m
controlled via bios
both dc and pwm are options - pwm preffered as it uses all 4 pins so I find it easier to feed the plug onto the pins provided. I do have some fan speed controllers somewhere so could use three pin fans with voltage adjustment if it came to that.

stack effect is a consideration but it`s mostly about the fan being furthest away from the sides of the case (to reduce the noise leaking out) and the warmed air travelling a shorter distance if it floats out the top of the pc.

the board is vertical with ready air transfer/venting from left,right,top and bottom faces of the case (no gpu card, cpu is the major heat source).

the fan is to provide stability when undertaking light gaming otherwise its just a light breeze for the cpu cooler.

edh

Post by edh » Fri May 19, 2017 10:01 am

To me if giving the side of the case a knock stops the noise then the issue is not the fan but vibration of some part of the case. It may be fixable on it's own.

I didn't find the stock Ninja 4 fan that good as it does make some odd noises. I have replaced it with a Noctua NF-S12a.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 am

Thank you for answering the questions.
asrock z97m
controlled via bios
both dc and pwm are options - pwm preffered as it uses all 4 pins so I find it easier to feed the plug onto the pins provided.
On my Asrock H170 Pro4, the CPU_FAN header is autodetect, it can do DC on 3pin connections and 4pin PWM on 4pin connectors. Not sure if the Z97 is like that?

I asked this because if you can do 3pin fans, i would suggest to take a look into two fans,
Noiseblocker M12-S1 or S2
Nindec Gentle Typhoon AP13 1150 rpms or AP14 1450 rpms

On PWM go with Lucas or edh recommendation.

corbis

Post by corbis » Sat May 20, 2017 5:10 am

I have a Noctua NF-S12A pwm coming
On my Asrock H170 Pro4, the CPU_FAN header is autodetect, it can do DC on 3pin connections and 4pin PWM on 4pin connectors. Not sure if the Z97 is like that?
the physical connector is compatible with both 3-pin and 4-pin fan connectors so it seems very likely, though I haven`t tested it.

thankyou all for your help