PWM fans are worth it

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Derek Semeraro

PWM fans are worth it

Post by Derek Semeraro » Mon May 28, 2018 12:45 pm

In many cases, PWM versions of fans cost only a few dollars more. For some, this alone can make builds loud when they should be silent.

Non-PWM fans, at worst, will run at max speed if the motherboard doesn't have voltage control settings. But even if you are able to control non-PWM fans in your BIOS settings, it can be worth saving the time and hassle.

Olle P

Re: PWM fans are worth it

Post by Olle P » Wed May 30, 2018 3:57 am

I'd rather suggest:
Go with what your fan controller can handle!

If you use the motherboard to handle the fan speed, as is increasingly common, it's the fan headers and UEFI on the mobo that define what type(s) of fan to use.
If the controller only support voltage control for a case fan then use a fan that isn't built for PWM, because those typically can't handle low voltages as well.
If PWM support is available then that's better to use, but if voltage control is an option and you already have a perfectly good fan then use what you have.
Changing the setting from PWM to voltage control in the UEFI is by no means a hassle compared to all other adapting of the fan control required to make it run the way you want!

Derek Semeraro

Post by Derek Semeraro » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:01 pm

The amount of hassle is dependent on the particular motherboard's BIOS. You are right that before going for PWM or non-PWM, it's smart to check the specs and features of the motherboard first. I assume modern motherboards support PWM and will continue to for a while.

PWM is a forward investment overall. A 4-pin fan can be used in a 3-pin connection, but a 3-pin fan can never be a 4-pin fan.

Abula

Post by Abula » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:27 pm

Derek Semeraro wrote:A 4-pin fan can be used in a 3-pin connection, but a 3-pin fan can never be a 4-pin fan.
Technically yes, in theory no, most of the manufactures of PWM fans recommend for them to be used only at 12V, there are some exceptions like noctua including a resistor with some of their PWM fans, but PWM fans are suppose to be design to be run at 12V always, weather some can be undervolted successfully is another matter, or the longevity, etc. Personally i don't undervolt my PWM fans, i have only done it to test but they behave erratically if you drop them low, in some cases the fan are spinning but no rpm reporting or the fan is spinning and suddenly it stops.