I'm looking for a fan controller for my sonata, but since I have no 5 1/4"
slots left, I'm looking for one that fits in the 3½"-slot, but the front cover
worries me. Do you guys have any installed that fit with the cover closed,
where did you get them, how much did they cost and do they ship over-
seas?

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon Nov 24, 2003 10:27 pm

I found this 3 1/2" controller and tried it out. Don't know if it will fit the Sonata case but I suspect it should - the knobs stick out just a little less than 1 cm. They're voltage regulators, not PWM controllers. The two extra USB ports might even come in handy if you need more front mounted ports. Otherwise just tape over them.

The frame is supposedly made of aluminum (aluminium for English speaking folks :-) ) and even has a nice glossy finish to match the Piano Black of the Sonata.

Each controller is rated for 10W. I tested it with a NMB (around 1.2W) at the lowest and highest settings, and the regulator hardly got warm. I also tested it with a 9.6 W Delta (don't ask) and the regulator got hot in a hurry. 10W is definitely on the optimistic side. Fortunately no self respecting SPCRer will get fans that powerful.

SVC does not ship out of US (not even Canada) but I saw another place carrying it. Don't remember the site, but I found it while searching for M3 threaded thumbscrews on google.

I would have tried them on my Sonata except the case is sitting in several pieces all over the house right now. Let me know if the information above is not sufficient and I'll put it back together for a quick check (PM me).

ColdFlame

Post by ColdFlame » Tue Nov 25, 2003 1:27 am

I saw a bunch of Enermax/Coolergiant fan coltrollers and none of them protrude much. I'm going to get 5 1/4 one for my 3700.

Ana

Post by Ana » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:49 am

lenny wrote:I found this 3 1/2" controller and tried it out.
I would have tried them on my Sonata except the case is sitting in several pieces all over the house right now. Let me know if the information above is not sufficient and I'll put it back together for a quick check (PM me).
Thanks, but I can't find those in Finland. That one looks just perfect other-
wise, but it seems that I'll just have to buy what I can get my hands on.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:49 am

Ana wrote:Thanks, but I can't find those in Finland. That one looks just perfect otherwise, but it seems that I'll just have to buy what I can get my hands on.
I'd offer to mail one over for you, but the shipping is going to be so ridiculous I think you're better off even building your own. If you can find the knobs, maybe you can construct one out of disassembled fanmates?