Papst, Enermax, Panaflo, SmartCooler, Titan... etc...

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Winston

Papst, Enermax, Panaflo, SmartCooler, Titan... etc...

Post by Winston » Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:24 am

Which one to choose? After reading this and other forums, as well as several websites with info, I'm totally confused now on what type of fans to choose for my quiet system. Untill recently, I thought Papst made some of the most quiet fans available, untill I heard about problems with clicking noise in them at low speeds. I can't seem to find anyone who sells Panaflo fans in my area, so those aren't really an option. I can easily get Enermax, SmartCooler and Titan tho, but what should I choose? Which brand is most quiet, when comparing fans with the same specifications?

If anyone has any experience, facts, theories or other relevant info on this subject, please post it here. Thanks! :)

frosty

Post by frosty » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:41 pm

Get them from Dorothy she goes by jafb in the vendor section and I am sure she ships your way, I'd suggest panaflo's 80 mm L for most silent. Cheers!

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:59 pm

I have a Papst 120mm 4412 fan that I use in the front of my pc to cool my HDD's. It is undervolted at 7V and it makes no clicking noise at all. The only noise it makes is a soft wind sound that is pleasant but can only be heard if I put my ear right next to it. I can't here it at all from where I sit. I like this fan very much but it's fairly expensive in the US ($20). Can't give you an opinion about the other fans you mention but I'm sure others here will be able to help. Maybe you can search online for reviews for these particular fans...

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Dec 12, 2003 1:41 pm

Pete wrote:I have a Papst 120mm 4412 fan that I use in the front of my pc to cool my HDD's. It is undervolted at 7V and it makes no clicking noise at all. The only noise it makes is a soft wind sound that is pleasant but can only be heard if I put my ear right next to it. I can't here it at all from where I sit. I like this fan very much but it's fairly expensive in the US ($20). Can't give you an opinion about the other fans you mention but I'm sure others here will be able to help. Maybe you can search online for reviews for these particular fans...
What are you using an an exhaust fan in the rear?

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:45 pm

[quote]

I don't have one. My original plan was to put the Papst in the rear of my Antec SLK3700AMB case. I even removed the grill to help airflow. Also cut out the front grill while I was at it. Then I cut a blowhole on the top of the case for a 80mm Panaflo L1A. After that I started to experiment with various fan speeds to find the best noise/airflow/cooling combination. I wanted a good balance and by accident found that it was best to leave the rear exhaust hole open. It just has a standard grill on it right now. BTW, after I started exhausting air out of the top, the case temp dropped big time, and I was really struggling with heat issues at that time.

I know, it's a long answer to a short question. :) [/quote]

JVM
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by JVM » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:02 pm

Pete wrote:

I don't have one. My original plan was to put the Papst in the rear of my Antec SLK3700AMB case. I even removed the grill to help airflow. Also cut out the front grill while I was at it. Then I cut a blowhole on the top of the case for a 80mm Panaflo L1A. After that I started to experiment with various fan speeds to find the best noise/airflow/cooling combination. I wanted a good balance and by accident found that it was best to leave the rear exhaust hole open. It just has a standard grill on it right now. BTW, after I started exhausting air out of the top, the case temp dropped big time, and I was really struggling with heat issues at that time.

I know, it's a long answer to a short question. :)
Seems to have worked out well for you. Lot of work, but it appears to have paid dividends.

Are you 7 volting the Papst with a resistor, fan mate, 7 volt trick, or?

Tigr
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Tigr » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:39 pm

I have used Papst fans of 8,9 and 12 cm in my systems and never had any sort of clicking noise. If I get one, I will request the shop to exchange it. The fans from Papst are too expensive to be tolerant of any such nonsense. They work fine between 5 and 12 volts, start up reliably (although only rated down to 7 volts) and never make any sort of noise (except for the wind the 12cm version creates at 12 volts). Highly recommended.

I had some Enermax fans, they are now buried somewhere in the spare parts box. Just don't.

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:41 pm

It's a 12v to 7v adapter from Directron. I think it was $3. I do have Fanmates on the cpu and blowhole fans.

I tried to paste the question you had onto my reply but all that showed was [quote]. Wonder what I did wrong. :cry:

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Trip » Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:05 pm

There's certainly some controversy over the Papst vs. Panaflo issue, but most of the big dogs here seem to prefer the Panaflo. I can vouch for a good Papst fan, but Papst may be as plagued with bad fans as the Seasonic PSUs are...

I was pleased with ADDA's 60mm fans.

Nexus fan post

read this

bunch of other threads, but you'll have to read through and find them... Panaflo sounds like the safest bet, but it looks like you couldn't go wrong with a few others.