Panaflo FBK 12G12LH molex help [Newbie level]

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Post Reply
riffola
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:24 am
Location: NYC, NY, USA

Panaflo FBK 12G12LH molex help [Newbie level]

Post by riffola » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:24 pm

Hi,

I got two Panaflo FBK 12G12LHs and I'd like to use them with my Sonata (stock PSU for now) and ASUS K8V Deluxe with either AMD 64 3000+ or 3200+.

I understand that I will not be able to run the fans from the motherboard, because they are too demanding.

What do I need to mod the fans so that I can let the motherboard and CPU's Cool & Quiet features to control the fans, and yet not blow up anything?

I am absolutely clueless, I've never modded fans before, but I am not afraid of doing it.

I tried looking for 4 pin Panaflo tails, but the ones that I saw were for fans that had detachable tails. My Panaflos are OEM I believe, with the original non-detachable two wire, 4 pin square molex, with a two pin molex coming out of it.

Please point me in the right directions.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2928
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: SC

Post by Trip » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:01 pm

would a 4 to 3 pin connector from svc.com work? they also sell fanmates if you want to try that.

EDIT: misread post
Last edited by Trip on Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

HammerSandwich
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 1288
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:21 pm
Location: 15143, USA
Contact:

Post by HammerSandwich » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:08 pm

Those Panaflos are rated at .2A, and the K8V is specced for at least .45, since it's rated to use the Thermaltake Venus 10+.

riffola
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:24 am
Location: NYC, NY, USA

Post by riffola » Fri Jan 23, 2004 10:09 pm

The 4 pin jack I believe is of the Auxilary style, not a flat 4 pin molex. That's the thing that I can't find, how to make it from that square style to a flat arrangement.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2928
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: SC

Post by Trip » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:02 pm

I thought that PSU connection was for the mobo?? It has 4 pins in a square arrangement, where did you buy the fan?

the fan should look like this

somebody
Posts: 207
Joined: Thu May 22, 2003 2:47 pm

Post by somebody » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:35 am

Since you can't detach the wires, just cut them and attach them to the type of connector you need.

riffola
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:24 am
Location: NYC, NY, USA

Post by riffola » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:50 am

Trip wrote:I thought that PSU connection was for the mobo?? It has 4 pins in a square arrangement, where did you buy the fan?
I bought them from Schlotkins in the Deals forum. Here's what they look like. Sorry about the quality, I took this picture with a camera phone, because the USB ports on this old machine have died and my new machine is not yet finished, so I can't import pictures from my digital cam.

Image
somebody wrote:Since you can't detach the wires, just cut them and attach them to the type of connector you need.
Yeah looks like that's what I'll have to do.
HammerSandwich wrote:Those Panaflos are rated at .2A, and the K8V is specced for at least .45, since it's rated to use the Thermaltake Venus 10+.
Thanks, so this means I can hook them up to the motherboard. So what kind of molex should I get? I only have two wires coming out from the fan, should I get a 3 pin molex? Or get a 4 pin molex, run it off Sonata's fan only. I don't even know if the two wires will provide RPM monitoring without further mods.

silvervarg
Posts: 1283
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 1:35 am
Location: Sweden, Linkoping

Post by silvervarg » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:04 am

Are those really wires that come from the FAN?
I think the looks like wires that come from your PSU. Thinks seems to be a bit unclear.

Since you got a 2-wire fan you will not be able to monitor the fans RPM.
The latest tests on PWM vs voltage regulation would point me to suggest that you connect to the FAN-only connector of the PSU.

riffola
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:24 am
Location: NYC, NY, USA

Post by riffola » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:10 am

silvervarg wrote:Are those really wires that come from the FAN?
I think the looks like wires that come from your PSU. Thinks seems to be a bit unclear.

Since you got a 2-wire fan you will not be able to monitor the fans RPM.
The latest tests on PWM vs voltage regulation would point me to suggest that you connect to the FAN-only connector of the PSU.
Yup those two wires are from the fan. The slimmer two pin plug comes out of the back of the 4 pin 12v Auxiliary plug.

Thanks, I'll now look into getting these plugs replaced by a 4 pin in-line molex.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer
Posts: 8636
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:33 am
Location: Sunny SoCal

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:31 am

riffola wrote:
silvervarg wrote:Are those really wires that come from the FAN?
I think the looks like wires that come from your PSU. Thinks seems to be a bit unclear.

Since you got a 2-wire fan you will not be able to monitor the fans RPM.
The latest tests on PWM vs voltage regulation would point me to suggest that you connect to the FAN-only connector of the PSU.
Yup those two wires are from the fan. The slimmer two pin plug comes out of the back of the 4 pin 12v Auxiliary plug.

Thanks, I'll now look into getting these plugs replaced by a 4 pin in-line molex.
If you're intending to plug those fans into the 3-pin fan header on your mobo you should put 3-pin connectors on the fans too. If you put a 4-pin Molex on the fan you'll have to buy yourself a 4-pin to 3-pin adapter so you can plug them into your mobo. Sounds like extra $$ and work to me.
Main Box: Intel i3-3225, Intel DH77EB, 16GB Corsair RAM, 256GB Samsung 830, SS360GP PSU, CM PS07 case.
Music Server: Intel DH77EB + i3-3220, 2xSamsung 2TB F4, Pico PSU, Fractal Define Mini, 2xScythe Fans @250 rpm.

lenny
Patron of SPCR
Posts: 1642
Joined: Wed May 28, 2003 10:50 am
Location: Somewhere out there

Post by lenny » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:18 am

These look identical to the fans I (and a few others) got off eBay.

The neatest looking way is to get a pair of crimpers, pins and nylon housing and crimp your own 3 pin or 4 pin connectors. I got the pins and housing at Fry's, Outpost carries them as well but I have no idea what shipping will be. Digikey has them but they're more expensive.

Alternative is to splice (heat shrink or electric tape) to a 3 pin / 4 pin cable. You can get the appropriate cable from SVC if you don't have one lying around.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2928
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: SC

Post by Trip » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:39 am

google search came up with this. Just get that adapter, maybe you could modifythe 5V, 7V trick. (Link stolen from Ralf) heh, or run that through a bunch of adapters and a fan controller.

You're prob. well aware, but could:

A to 4, 4 to 3, fanmate, mobo.
-or-
A to 4, 4 to 3, fanmate, 3 to 4, psu.

Trip
*Lifetime Patron*
Posts: 2928
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:18 pm
Location: SC

Post by Trip » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:25 pm

would that adapter work?

riffola
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:24 am
Location: NYC, NY, USA

Post by riffola » Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:32 pm

Thanks for the tips and help.

Trip, I don't think that adapter will work, because the 12v Aux plug is the same as the one on the fan.

So what I will do is order molexes, and some wire, cut the plug off, crimp or splice a 3 pin molex on, and use that to hook it up to my motherboard, and let the motherboard's Cool 'N' Quiet feature adjust the speeds of the fans for now.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer
Posts: 8636
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2002 6:33 am
Location: Sunny SoCal

Post by Ralf Hutter » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:08 am

riffola wrote:Thanks for the tips and help.

Trip, I don't think that adapter will work, because the 12v Aux plug is the same as the one on the fan.

So what I will do is order molexes, and some wire, cut the plug off, crimp or splice a 3 pin molex on, and use that to hook it up to my motherboard, and let the motherboard's Cool 'N' Quiet feature adjust the speeds of the fans for now.
Sounds like the best idea to me. That way you can easily stick a Fanmate inline if the "Cool 'n Quiet" thingy doesn't live up to your expectations.
Main Box: Intel i3-3225, Intel DH77EB, 16GB Corsair RAM, 256GB Samsung 830, SS360GP PSU, CM PS07 case.
Music Server: Intel DH77EB + i3-3220, 2xSamsung 2TB F4, Pico PSU, Fractal Define Mini, 2xScythe Fans @250 rpm.

riffola
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:24 am
Location: NYC, NY, USA

Post by riffola » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:50 am

Ralf Hutter wrote: Sounds like the best idea to me. That way you can easily stick a Fanmate inline if the "Cool 'n Quiet" thingy doesn't live up to your expectations.
Thanks for your help you guys. I've ordered two Panaflo tails, and I'll be splicing them into place because I can't get the pins out of these Panaflo plugs.

Gxcad
Patron of SPCR
Posts: 429
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2002 3:26 pm
Location: San Francisco, CA
Contact:

Post by Gxcad » Sun Feb 01, 2004 10:46 pm

Hey guys,

Here is what I did:

I had a spare panaflo tail lying around (2 wires and a 2 pin tail) so I just soldered the wires together after I cut them on the FBK and covered the soldered parts with electrical tape. Works like a charm, just match red to red and blue to blue.

I suppose it really depends whether you have a soldering iron or a crimper which method you would use. I don't have a crimper so I am planning to order 3 pin extentions for the others...

-Ken

Post Reply