TheDarkHacker

Aerocool Deep Impact

Post by TheDarkHacker » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:13 am

I am currently running a Aerocool Deep Impact Limited Edition. It runs at
around 22db, but my load cpu temp is around 64 celcius. I have a Pentium 4
3.06 with HT turned on. i wanted to replace the two stock Deep Impact
fans with the Silenx 14db fans. Is this ok. i think my temps are a little off
because i am using the one built onto the motherboard and i know how they
can be inacurate. Whats your advice and how can i get my temps down.

TheWesson

Post by TheWesson » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:08 pm

How do you like the Deep Impact?

What are your case temps? Does the case have a free air path from in to out?

What is the room temp?

Sometimes software messes up the temp readings, sometimes the temp reading hardware/BIOS settings are badly inaccurate. Not much can be done about the latter. For the former, many recommend Motherboard Monitor 5 (MBM 5).

If the CPU temp read is the "on-die" temp, then 64C is not too alarming tho obviously not too great either.

Anyhow if your case temps are well above room temp (> 10 or 15C diff), and your CPU temp is not much above case temp, then you'd want to tackle case temps. Contrariwise, if case temps are near room temp but your CPU temp is way above case temp (>25 or 30C diff), then you'd want to tackle CPU HSF efficiency.

The Deep Impact should be good for ducting to the exhaust and ducting from an intake, since the fans are standing up and can face the case front/back. That would be a fairly easy way to get temps down. There is no "reversal penalty" for ducting to exhaust with the DP.

Guesstimate about your proposed fan replacement:
A 14 CFM fan replacing a 25 CFM fan: 0.12 - 0.067 = 0.053 C/W difference ... times 80W ... = 4C rise at CPU.

If I were you, I'd want to get temps down in some way before swapping CPU HS fans for anything substantially less powerful.

My guess is that like most cases, your case is not designed for good ventilation ...

the wesson

TheDarkHacker

Deep Impact

Post by TheDarkHacker » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:37 am

i really like the deep impact. my case temps range from 30 celcius to 32 celcius. The room temp usually stays around 74 farenhiet but in texas it can become a little hotter during the day. I am currently using MBM5 and the temp reading ias on die. I was also was wondering what i could use to dust the deep impact fans. i currently have a Thermaltake Xaser III which has ok airflow. I am hoping to get a new silverstone sst-tj03 which has 120mm fans. I just got the new deep impact after replacing the coolermaster jet 4 which is about the most annoying thing ever. i am open to any other recommendations for how to cool this thing down.

TheDarkHacker

undervolting

Post by TheDarkHacker » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:39 am

How much of a temperature change would it make to undervolt my Pentium 4 3.06 GHZ 533FSB. anyone have recommendations of how much i should undervolt this thing.

TheWesson

Post by TheWesson » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:12 am

Case at 32C - that's pretty darn good, considering the room is 24 or 27C. I would expect the DP to be doing better, really. Perhaps the reading is just off.

what's the CFM rating for the SilenX fans you're thinking of?

the wesson

TheDarkHacker

Fans

Post by TheDarkHacker » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:20 am

The silenx fans i want are 11db with 21cfm and the stock deep impact fans are 24.6 dBA with 31.5 cfm.

SpyderCat

Re: Fans

Post by SpyderCat » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:29 am

TheDarkHacker wrote:The silenx fans i want are 11db with 21cfm and the stock deep impact fans are 24.6 dBA with 31.5 cfm.
Yep, and Christian Andersen was another one telling fairy tales. :lol:

Sorry man, I have nothing against SilenX-fans, but 21 CFM @ 11 dBA is highly unlikely. Belongs in the fairy-tale department.

lenny
Patron of SPCR

Post by lenny » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:34 am

SpyderCat wrote:Sorry man, I have nothing against SilenX-fans, but 21 CFM @ 11 dBA is highly unlikely. Belongs in the fairy-tale department.
That's not true. It's entirely possible. You just need to take your measurements from the other room down the hall.

SpyderCat

Post by SpyderCat » Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:41 am

lenny wrote:
SpyderCat wrote:Sorry man, I have nothing against SilenX-fans, but 21 CFM @ 11 dBA is highly unlikely. Belongs in the fairy-tale department.
That's not true. It's entirely possible. You just need to take your measurements from the other room down the hall.
Ok, you got me there :oops: :lol:

TheDarkHacker

New Temps

Post by TheDarkHacker » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:14 pm

My new temps are 35 celcius for the processor when idle after underclocking it from 3.06GHz to 2.53Ghz. My case temps are the same and i will get back to you about my load temps. anyone have any recommendations about software that can max out your processor.

greeef

Post by greeef » Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:21 pm

i think cpuburn is the one that produces the most possible heat.

griff

shathal

Post by shathal » Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:47 pm

*checks inital post*

They make Limited Editions now even on CPU fans ...???

Wonders never cease ...

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:50 am

anyone have any recommendations about software that can max out your processor.
Prime95 is the most common choise. It produces slightly less heat than cpuburn, but on the other hand it will notice if your CPU gets the wrong result from calculations etc. This means that Prime95 finds problems in setups that CPUburn does not, thus making prime95 a better program for testing a setup.

If you have a CPU with hyperthreading you should run 2 instances of whatever test program you choose to run.

TheDarkHacker

load temps

Post by TheDarkHacker » Thu Jun 03, 2004 8:02 am

After using every porgram to load my cpu my load cpu temp is is now 48 celius. i have also found that the futurmark pcmark is the best program to get an processor at 100% even if it is hyperthreaded.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:51 am

i have also found that the futurmark pcmark is the best program to get an processor at 100% even if it is hyperthreaded.
Now I get a bit uncertain of what you actually want to achieve with the tests.
Are you talking about getting the OS to report 100% CPU activity?
Do you want software to make the CPU produce most heat?
Do you want software to make the whole machine produce most heat?
Do you want software to ensure your CPU will run stable regardless of what software you run?

shathal

Re: load temps

Post by shathal » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:11 pm

TheDarkHacker wrote:After using every porgram to load my cpu my load cpu temp is is now 48 celius. i have also found that the futurmark pcmark is the best program to get an processor at 100% even if it is hyperthreaded.
Incorrect, sad to say - least, by my experience.

The best way to do it (having done it a few hours ago meself) is to run 2 instances of CPU Burn - that pumped my temps a lot more than any other benchmark I could find.

CPU-burn is a nifty way to find what the lowest "safe" voltage is for your fans, as no real-world app will stress the CPU as much as 2x CPU-burn (or 1x, for non-HT CPU's).

Hope this helps :).