Picking a Fortron

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Wedge

Picking a Fortron

Post by Wedge » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:26 pm

I'm probably going to get this case at Directron - CS-LX-6A19.

I'm looking at grabbing a 300 or 350 watt PSU as part of the package.

As you can see in my sig, I have the Fortron FSP300-60PN on my current rig, which is a pretty quiet PSU, so I don't mind buying it again. However, I am curious about the "Forton Noise Killer" listed in the PSU options.

Does anybody have experienc with this model?

bomba

Post by bomba » Fri Jun 04, 2004 1:23 pm

From poking around the Directron site, looks like they mean the FSP300-60ATV. Looks ok, but I wouldn't expect it to be super quiet without modding. No PFC and the vent slots over the CPU socket in a tower config may be a hiderance for cool & quiet operation. Note that Fortron uses the term noise killer to describe the thermal fan control circuit used in just about all of their PSUs.

I posted in the deals forum about active PFC 80mm fanned FSP300-60PFN PSUs for $17. I bought two and modded one of them by cutting away the stamped fan grille, swapping in a soft mounted 80mm L1A and relocating the thermistor. Nice n quiet now, but was no great shakes pre-mod. Even with the slowly spinning, swapped-in L1A "Chinaflo" the modded FSP300-60PFN is still the loudest element in my system. Thus, I 'm not sure how it would compare to highly regarded off-the-shelf 300w quiet PSUs like the NX-3000 or Seasonic Super Silencer RevA3.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:30 pm

Thanks bomba, much appreciated.

I also noticed your post about the FSP300-60PFN. Interesting stuff. Again, thanks.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:30 pm

Hello:

I would go for the 12cm fanned 300watt Fortron...

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:21 pm

Could somebody tell me if this knob on the back of this model at Newegg controls fan speed? Please click on the 2nd pic when you visit the link.

Edit: nevermind, I see that indeed it is a fan speed controller. Just read the reviews at Newegg.

larrymoencurly

Post by larrymoencurly » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:24 am

Watch out because with Fortron/Sparkle PSUs "Noise Killer" can mean two completely different things:

1. The fan is quiet. At least it's supposed to be, but every one I've had was no better than average. This is the case if "Noise Killer" is mentioned on the box but not the PSU itself, and these fans are always run at full speed & full voltage. My retail boxed FSP-350-60BT (single 80mm fan in rear, wire grill, lots of vent openings on top) was like this, until I added a fan speed controller to it.

2. The PSU contains a fan speed controller and really does run quietly. "Noise Killer" will always be found on a sticker on the PSU itself, and you can see through the top vent openings an approximately 1.5" square circuit board bolted to the top of one of the large heatsinks. This is what my ATX-300GT has (single rear 80mm fan, stamped-out fan grill, two rows of vent openings on top). Don't confuse this circuit board with the others soldered to the lare board, which are for voltage regulation.

SpyderCat

Post by SpyderCat » Sat Jun 05, 2004 12:51 am

Wedge wrote:Could somebody tell me if this knob on the back of this model at Newegg controls fan speed? Please click on the 2nd pic when you visit the link.

Edit: nevermind, I see that indeed it is a fan speed controller. Just read the reviews at Newegg.
Wedge,
I think that's the same PSU as the Aurora reviewed here.
And I think it's the same one as I have (only mine carries a AOpen sticker).
I needed a more silent fan, and replaced the fan with a Nexus 1000 RPM.
With the Nexus fan it's probably about equal to the Nexus 3500 PSU.