A possible fix for Meow'ing 7k250

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rp

A possible fix for Meow'ing 7k250

Post by rp » Sat Jun 05, 2004 10:45 pm

mynameisyoung

Post by mynameisyoung » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:16 am

Well I checked out the link but it seems a bit... weird?

First the zip file for the SATA drives is emtpy (which is what I use).
So I downloaded the IDE zip file and it seems to be the Hitachi Drive Fitness test?

I checked out the link to the German site, but only half the site was translated. I don't know what to think about this one.

If it does work, it would save me alot of money.

rp

Post by rp » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:35 am

It seems as though some of them have tried it out on 80GB versions as well, and did the trick. Apparently all 7K250's produced later than 0404 should have this installed already.

The SATA link may have been down, but I've just downloaded it with success. If you look through the thread you'll find more mirrors (doesn't matter if you don't read german, its quite easy to find them :) )

Shuriken

Post by Shuriken » Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:06 am

I wanted to try this on my 2 7k250 SATA. However it seems that the DFT tool does not support Promise raid cards.

And since i dont have any onboard sata controllers i am unable to do anything with it.

mynameisyoung

Post by mynameisyoung » Sun Jun 06, 2004 12:53 pm

Yep, I just looked through the German site and found the mirror site and I tried out the firmware last night. And it worked great!

I left my computer on last night and I haven't heard the meowing noise since. Now if I can just tackle my PSU noise!

If anyone has had trouble getting the SATA firmware I posted the link to the mirror site on www.envynews.com

Shuriken:

It seems alot of people have had trouble with the Promise controller and the Hitachi tools. But the support site says it does infact support that controller? I dunno, hopefully you can get that resolved because this firmware is a godsend!

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:54 am

Any update on this?

Have those who applied the patch experienced any issues with their drives (noise or data related)?

EDIT: Actually forget about it. The amount of 'click of death' threads for 7K250 is on the rise again.

I won't risk my data (personally ripped mp3s from my originals) to the jaws of another Deathstar :)

Dobby

Post by Dobby » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:50 am

Not really sure if my firmware version is exactly the same. 8rdavcore reports that mine is V33OA63A and drive is manufactured in 06/2004. I think drive probably still moves its heads when it idles longer time. Sound, however, resembles more like typical seek noise, only tad noisier. It has been in use only 3 months so its early to say about reliability.