when windoze freezes

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dan

when windoze freezes

Post by dan » Mon Jun 07, 2004 8:42 am

hello,

i've been experimenting with overclocking my tualatin.

i am able to get windows to boot and i can go on the internet but then windows freezes.
when windows freezes on a overclocked cpu, is it due to insufficient voltage, or insufficient cooling? how can i tell apart the two causes?

thanks
dan

TheWesson

Post by TheWesson » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:40 am

you can't really really tell but if the temperature monitor reports CPU >60C or so then overheating is a pretty good guess.

google for "motherboard monitor 5" or "MBM 5" to get a temp monitor program if you don't have the one that came with your mobo.

The higher the overclock, the lower the crash temp is. Thus, lowering your temps might possibly keep you from having to raise your voltage.

Might also be your memory, northbridge, or etc.

the wesson

PiSan

Post by PiSan » Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:47 am

It's also possible that you've reached the limit of the chip. An unstable overclock can be caused by both temperature and not enough voltage, but I wouldn't expect much out of that chip.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:04 pm

Besides monitoring your temps, you obviously need to check for stability using Prime95. I think it was you on some earlier thread who said "stability doesn't matter, I only use my system for surfing the net", but you might want to rethink that now. :)

Skylined

Post by Skylined » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:36 pm

Your stability problems can be because the CPU cannot handle that frequency, because it needs more voltage or because it gets hot.
As it was said before, you can monitor your CPU's temperature with MBM.
If your temp is OK but your CPU isn't working OK, rise a lil bit the Vcore, and always keep an eye on your CPU's temperature.
How much to overclock, that depends on you, but for surfing the net, I think overclocking isn't worthy.

When I OC I run Prime95 for 24hs. :D

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:24 am

A good and simple first test is to stay in bios and just watch the temperatures. This often gives you a clue if you have temperature related problems as well.
In your case it seems that you freeze quite quickly in windows, so I think this is a good way to start for you.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:18 am

thanks, i'll try following up on this,

you know the jedi master is supposed to build his own light saber, using the force.

a jedi-silent pc master builds a silent OC system.

i would like to OC my cpu, still keep my pc fanless, and then tell everyone one SPR how i'm now a jedi-silent pc master.

oh Ralph yeah i'm the guy who as long as i can get online, listen to music, transfer pic's, do word processing and it all works i couldn't care if it is or is not prime95 stable.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:49 pm

dan wrote:thanks, i'll try following up on this,

you know the jedi master is supposed to build his own light saber, using the force.

a jedi-silent pc master builds a silent OC system.

i would like to OC my cpu, still keep my pc fanless, and then tell everyone one SPR how i'm now a jedi-silent pc master.

oh Ralph yeah i'm the guy who as long as i can get online, listen to music, transfer pic's, do word processing and it all works i couldn't care if it is or is not prime95 stable.
Freezing in Windows is one of the primary signs of an unstable system. That's why I'm suggesting that you test it using a stability testing app like Prime95.

dan

Post by dan » Tue Jun 08, 2004 7:36 pm

LOL
doing prime95 on my OC system will tell me what i already know....it's unstable.

i have a fan and open the chassis and it is 100% stable, so i belive it is cooling and not voltage that is hte problem.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Tue Jun 08, 2004 8:51 pm

check your northbridge for temps too. That also causes freezeups

dan

Post by dan » Wed Jun 09, 2004 10:52 am

northbridge eh?

sisandra and soyo's 'smartguardian" www.soyousa.com

tells you their temps of cpu, how can i check northbridge?
also, northbridge already has a heatsink, a green soyo heatsink glued on. if i attemp to remove it i'm afraid of damage.

-dan

ps i'm mostly likely going to throw in the towel on OC'ing, since i would have to go from 14 watts to 35 watts, a 2.5x increase in power consumption for a 33% increase in perfromance.

jinu117

Post by jinu117 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:21 am

My experiences
Freeze -> Heat
Crash -> voltage
Typically in case of intel.
Random crash -> mostly memory related but could have reached end of chips or chipset's limit.

dan

Post by dan » Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:03 am

what's the difference between a freeze and a crash?

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Thu Jun 10, 2004 7:59 am

dan wrote:what's the difference between a freeze and a crash?
IMO freeze is when the system just stops responding to user's commands. Sometimes even the mouse doesn't move, but [insert OS] desktop is still visible. Or a game screen, if one was playing.

Crash is when the computer coughs out a blue screen, or just boots suddenly.

Cheers,

Jan