Geforce Ti4200, looking for cooling that's quiet/silent

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jozi

Geforce Ti4200, looking for cooling that's quiet/silent

Post by jozi » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:55 pm

I recently got a sonata and find it quiet, but it could be quieter!

I took out my graphics card while trying to find out what was making most noise in my box and found it to be more quiet without it.
Hence my search to something more quiet/silent. Whitout bringing case temps up!
Have a few more bits that i'd like more quiet but thats for different forums?

What do you use for cooling your graphics? Seen a zalman (i think) passive cooling block (gold covering whole vga card, more or less) and various differnt fas etc.
Wich works for my current card and i still capable of cooling futere cards, most likely ati brand, thinking maybe getting 9600xt end of summer

Any advice appreciated,

Jozi

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:03 am

I'm quite certain that the Zalman ZM80-HP fanless VGA cooler will fit your needs. It's absolutely silent (no moving parts) -- one drawback is that it will increase your case temperature somewhat. Just make sure your case cooling is adequate.

Edit: Woohoo my 200th post!

jozi

Post by jozi » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:21 am

Pjotor wrote: Edit: Woohoo my 200th post!
You've posted 100X more than me!!!

I've got a sonata and temps are high enough as is, i believe you can put a fan on that zalman cooler or am i wrong?

Thanks,

Jozi

CoolRunnings

Post by CoolRunnings » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:30 pm

I too am looking for a quiet cooler for a Geforce4 Ti4200. I've seen the following cooler that would be really nice to run on this card but it's not compatible:

http://www.svc.com/vga-rev3.html

I used to have a Radeon 9700 Pro with a Zalman but it boosted case temps too much and was really overkill. Does anyone know of a cooler similar to the one above that will work with a Ti4200?

shathal

Post by shathal » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:49 pm

There are passively cooled FX 5200's (MSI FX5200) - such as I have. Not that much either (£ 37 for me) ... is that maybe something for you? :).

swiftynz

Post by swiftynz » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:50 pm

I have a Zalman ZM80C-HP on my Leadtek Ti4200. Without any fans at all and just 3 80mm fans @ 5V for case cooling, it understandably got quite hot. Zalman recommend opening the PCI directly below it for better cooling, which I did, but the bottom heatsink would still get very hot (almost too hot to touch). It was stable, but too hot for my comfort.

The solution for me was an old 60mm stock AMD fan slowed down to 1% via speedfan and attached where the extra 80mm fan would go. It puts through a piddly amount of airflow, but a little is 10x better than none, and now the heatsink only gets warm to the touch.

As for raising the case temps... I don't see how that would work since the Ti4200 is still putting out the same amount of heat. Relative to the arctic vga silencers it definately does have higher case temps, but I noticed no difference compared to the stock cooler.

The leadtek ti4200's seem to be rather notorious for being hot, perhaps they increased the gpu voltage?

Sniff

Post by Sniff » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:33 pm

I went the el cheapo route with my 4200. That little whiny fan drove me nuts. I took a Zalman nb47j I had lying around and affixed that to the gpu. I then took a 60mm fan off an old stock amd hs I had. I strapped up the fan to blow onto the nb47j, then undervolted it to 5v. The fan is VERY quiet, and the hs is only warm to the touch. I can loop 3dmark 2001 for over an hour and still grab hold of the hs....(the top anyway).

The fan is attached at the rear (rightmost if installed) portion of the card, so I can still utilize some of my pci slots. Not that I use them anyway, but maybe you do...

Cerb

Post by Cerb » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:32 pm

I did the same as SNiff, but with a NB32j. It took some work mount it, but cooled fine with a Nidec Gamma 28 @5v.

Lwood

Post by Lwood » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:53 am

I've underclocked my Ti 4200 to try to cool down the case

There is an article here http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_coolbits/ that has all you need to over/underclock your card. This should help reduce your case temps, and it's pretty easy adjust if you want performance for gaming.

Also I'd be curious to know how this works for others. My clock frequency is down to 80MHz and Memory is down to 160MHz, but I felt like the difference was hardly noticible when i touch the card.

v3n

Post by v3n » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:27 am

Lwood wrote:I've underclocked my Ti 4200 to try to cool down the case

There is an article here http://www.overclockers.com.au/techstuff/a_coolbits/ that has all you need to over/underclock your card. This should help reduce your case temps, and it's pretty easy adjust if you want performance for gaming.

Also I'd be curious to know how this works for others. My clock frequency is down to 80MHz and Memory is down to 160MHz, but I felt like the difference was hardly noticible when i touch the card.
Ive tried to take the memory speed down on my 4200 but it locks up the system below 400mhz :roll: