Linux system problems

A forum just for SPCR's folding team... by request.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Linux system problems

Post by haysdb » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:12 am

My server and all my blades are down.

I must have had a power outage last night, and something got "glitched". My Windows machines are all up and running, but my Linux server "has some issues".

1) The keyboard is not recognized. It's a USB keyboard connected via a KVM switch.
2) I connected a separate PS/2 keyboard and mouse, and I can boot the system and get into xwindows, but as soon as I start FAH on the server, it seems to crash. I say "seems to", because there is still some disk activity but the desktop becomes "unresponsive". It appears to be "frozen".
3) The server never becomes visible on the network.

With no desktop on the Linux system, and the server not visible on the network, I don't know if the blades are working or not. There seems to be "normal" isk activity, so it may be working.

This is NOT what I had planned to do today and, in fact, I simply cannot spend all day fussing with this. I am going to see if I can manage to get things "limping along" somehow.

I really need a UPS for the server, since so much depends on it, but that's not going to happen.

David

CharlieChan
Patron of SPCR

Post by CharlieChan » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:28 am

Sound like a hardware problem. Take the HDD from the server and plug it into the one of the blades, boot and run throught the hardware config you should have the farm up and running without too much problems.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:29 am

I am please to report, problem #1 was "mere stupidity" and not a hardware or Linux problem. The USB cable between the server and KVM switch got disconnected. Why this caused the desktop to freeze when using the PS2 keyboard, I have no idea.

The server is still not visible to Windows. I can, however 'ping' the server, and from the server I can 'ping' my Windows desktop, so this appears to be a Windows issue. Perhaps a reboot of the desktop machine will fix that.

Charlie, will the hardware config automatically run if I boot the hard drive on a new motherboard?

David

CharlieChan
Patron of SPCR

Post by CharlieChan » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:58 am

haysdb wrote: Charlie, will the hardware config automatically run if I boot the hard drive on a new motherboard?
Yes, but manual input is require to alter the settings otherwise Redhat will continue booting with the original settings.

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:45 pm

I am still unable to monitor my Linux boxes from Windows, but I have confirmed that all clients are running by checking the log files from the server.

Why the server is not visible on the network is a complete mystery to me.

David

CoolGav

Post by CoolGav » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:03 am

Have you got samba running? I don't know what the commands are for Red Hat, so I can't offer much help...

CharlieChan
Patron of SPCR

Post by CharlieChan » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:39 am

CoolGav wrote:Have you got samba running? I don't know what the commands are for Red Hat, so I can't offer much help...
/etc/rc.d/init/samba start|stop|status

jbyram2a

Post by jbyram2a » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:19 am

I know that feeling, when your server isn't feeling well and you know all the clients are depending on it. A sinking in the pit of the stomach, panic rising...

I hate Samba. For me it just seems to be one of those things where I need to fool around with the config and keep fiddling with it until I mysteriously get it working, and stop right there, afraid to touch it ever again. Probably because I don't know all of what I am doing.

Has anything changed? The IP address of the machine you are using to access the server? Passwords?

kai

Post by kai » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:16 am

jbyram2a wrote:I hate Samba. For me it just seems to be one of those things where I need to fool around with the config and keep fiddling with it until I mysteriously get it working, and stop right there, afraid to touch it ever again. Probably because I don't know all of what I am doing.
I feel the exact same way. Samba is touted as this incredible piece of software that does amazing things. I'm sure it is and it does. But I'll be damned if I can figure out how to make it do exactly what I want it to do. Samba's documentation definately leaves something to be desired!

I don't have anything useful to add, I just feel the same way about Samba :lol:

CharlieChan
Patron of SPCR

Post by CharlieChan » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:48 am

kai wrote:
jbyram2a wrote:I hate Samba. For me it just seems to be one of those things where I need to fool around with the config and keep fiddling with it until I mysteriously get it working, and stop right there, afraid to touch it ever again. Probably because I don't know all of what I am doing.
I feel the exact same way. Samba is touted as this incredible piece of software that does amazing things. I'm sure it is and it does. But I'll be damned if I can figure out how to make it do exactly what I want it to do. Samba's documentation definately leaves something to be desired!

I don't have anything useful to add, I just feel the same way about Samba :lol:
Ahhh samba, it could be tame by webadmin.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:52 am

kai wrote:Samba's documentation definately leaves something to be desired!
You mean Linux?

I don't have anything useful to add, I just feel the same way about Linux :twisted:

kai

Post by kai » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:59 pm

dukla2000 wrote:
kai wrote:Samba's documentation definately leaves something to be desired!
You mean Linux?

I don't have anything useful to add, I just feel the same way about Linux :twisted:
Point taken :D

Though I've found samba to be one of the most frustrating components of my linux system. Samba has the unique ability to make me want to cry whenever I come near it.

kai

Post by kai » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:00 pm

CharlieChan wrote:Ahhh samba, it could be tame by webadmin.
hmm, I'll have to try webmin out again. I wasn't impressed a year ago.

thanks!

haysdb
Patron of SPCR

Post by haysdb » Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:37 pm

After yet another reboot of my Windows machine, it started working again, as mysteriously as it stopped.

David