Massive floor fans

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RTF

Massive floor fans

Post by RTF » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:03 pm

I'm wondering if running one at very low speeds and somehow venting it all directly into the case would enable an otherwise fanless operation :twisted:

mrzed
Patron of SPCR

Post by mrzed » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:21 pm

Yes, but that big motor by itself would be much louder than a good conventional quiet PC.

Unless you ran a duct from far away and a quiet blower?

I think I've seen posts of people wondering about connecting a PC to a forced air AC system, although that would require constant running.

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:13 am

I've been thinking about putting a 10" radiator fan inside the circular opening in my CM Stacker. The fan funs fine a 5v, and puts out a fine push of air, appx 200cfm by calculation. I think by using 2 ports on my fan controller I can run it at less voltage.

It whines a bit at 5v, does anyone have any experience using a large fan. Will lower voltage reduce the whine.

It will be a pain to wire it to my fan controller, but I'm tempted to try it out. If there is any interest I will report

Splinter

Post by Splinter » Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:45 am

I suspect it draws far more current than your fan controller can safely supply

GlassMan

Post by GlassMan » Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:58 am

Thanks,I thought of that already, the sunbeam is borderline (@1.6a)at 5v, so I was thinking I could wire it in parallel. I still have 2 channels free. No way would you want to run it at 12v. At 13(.5)v and 7amps its rated at 900cfm. My personel feeling is that the whine won't be tolerable, but it does appeal to the MORE POWER side of me.

The benefit is that all the other fans could be eliminated, then I could tape up the vents to control the exit points. the intake is filtered, so with positive pressure, dust wouldn't be a problem. Of course, if the fan failed.....