quiet gaming system for under 2k

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

psyoptic

quiet gaming system for under 2k

Post by psyoptic » Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:42 am

There is so much good info on this forum that I have to assume my question has been posted many times before. I didn't see anything that recent so here goes.

I am looking to build a new system for my home PC. I am an avid gamer and am looking forward to runnning the new game engines, Doom3 and Halflife2 with as many bells and whisltes I can afford. And of course the box needs to be quiet. Not stone dead silent, but it would be great if any hum could be a polite background whisper.

The specs I am thinking about are:

p4 2.8
800mhz FSB
1 gig DDR ram
NVideo Gefore 6800 GT
CDR RW/DVD drive

I am having a hard time picking out cases, power supplies, cooling and any additional noise dapening systems. Any opinions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for the help

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:00 am

Dude, read the recommended section. If you REALLY have a hard time picking out products, I would recommend taking a gander at Arm Systems who can get you everything you need to start out with their DIY barebones kit.

The more interesting questions are finding a quiet 6800GT solution and a quiet DVD drive.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:15 pm

Arctic Cooling will be releasing an entire line of new products in a few weeks, namely the NV Silencers and ATI Silencers. The NV Silencer 4 will fit our GT cards.

I'm not getting one only because I'll be water cooling my GT; on air right now it's already doing 418/1190; I'm thoroughly satisfied with it in every way.

Wedge

Post by Wedge » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:17 pm

Case: either the Antec 3700AMB or the 6A19 from Directron. Cut the back and front grills out and airflow will be great (120mm fan grills). This will allow case fans to be kept at a minimum voltage for your particular setup, which means less noise.

Start with the right case and you mazimize the "quietness" potential. I'm building a 2.8 right now, too.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:24 pm

Optical were I you I'd go with either a Plextor PX-712 for single layer at 12X or if that's a little thrifty, a nice $90 dual-layer NEC ND-2510A. Both drives are, acoustically, darn good, and their speed is controllable using software. They also burn discs pretty well to boot. :wink:

psyoptic

thanks for the ideas

Post by psyoptic » Wed Jul 28, 2004 5:31 pm

that's some great guidance, thanks all. the ARM systems look very interesting. Good price to performance ratio. I appreciate all of the extra engineering that they have put into their boxes. Does anyone have experience with these systems?

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Re: thanks for the ideas

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:18 am

psyoptic wrote:that's some great guidance, thanks all. the ARM systems look very interesting. Good price to performance ratio. I appreciate all of the extra engineering that they have put into their boxes. Does anyone have experience with these systems?
Yes, several do, use the search.

MikeC has also reviewed two or three of them on the main site.

kogi

Post by kogi » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:34 pm

Have you considered going A64. There has being a recent price drop and it's very good valu/speed compared to the P4.

kogi