stock fan swap for amd

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Project

stock fan swap for amd

Post by Project » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:40 pm

would it be a good idea if i swapped the stock fan off of my amd stock cooler then get one of those fan adaptors to put a 80mm fan on it a good idea?

tempeteduson

Post by tempeteduson » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:58 pm

You must be talking about the stock Athlon XP HSF. I've tried this...it works fairly well (I got the adaptor at CompUSA). However, the fan will be farther away from the heatsink and CPU and thus must work harder (i.e. spin faster) than if you have one right on top of the heatsink. So cooling efficiency goes down. For best results, I suggest you get a new HSF with an 80mm unit (or larger) and larger heatsink. That's what I'm about to do; if you can, get a Zalman 7000 AlCu. It doesn't fit on my motherboard, however.

Project

Post by Project » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:03 pm

yeah the 7000alcu doesnt fit on my mobo too, and plus theres no ihs so im afraid of putting heavy heatsinks on it =( i guess ill try the adapter and try my luck

bchung

Post by bchung » Mon Aug 02, 2004 2:25 pm

tempeteduson wrote: However, the fan will be farther away from the heatsink and CPU and thus must work harder (i.e. spin faster) than if you have one right on top of the heatsink. So cooling efficiency goes down. For best results, I suggest you get a new HSF with an 80mm unit (or larger) and larger heatsink.
The actual distance from the CPU does not always cause the decrease in performance. It is usually the pressure drop associated with a short fan adapter. Added to the fact that radial fans have to work hard in high head situations, adding a short fan adapter is almost always less desireable than replacing the fan with a bigger one.

I too recommend putting a larger fan on the same heatsink. Mount it rotated with rubber bands if you have to, just don't restrict the inlet/outlet of the fan.

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:55 am

Which stock HSF do you have? The 60mm one with all copper base & fins or the large, Intel-like 70+mm one with aluminium heatsink with copper plug?

If you've got the second one, you could try mounting a 80mm fan using long screws. It's not like the original 60mm is really hardmounted anyway. Plus, that HS is ideal for ducting so you could build a duct to a large (92mm or larger) exhaust fan (a-la Dell) and be rid of your mounting problems