Where to buy heatpipes

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Baboonking

Where to buy heatpipes

Post by Baboonking » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:11 pm

Hi there people,

This is my first post to spcr forums. Though I've been picking up lots of good ideas from others posts for a while. I was really inspired by Fred Mahs passive cpu cooling setup

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article114-page3.html

I think i'd like to try building something similar. I think it could get a heatsink from a scrap metal dealer and make the cpu block and other parts but does anyone know anywhere that sells individual heatpipes?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:18 pm

From the review:
Two 6 mm heatpipes were obtained from AVC America as an initial design sample. (AVC's main web site: http://www.avc.com.tw/index2.html).
Seems like a place to start at least.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:30 pm

Rusty075 wrote:From the review:
Two 6 mm heatpipes were obtained from AVC America as an initial design sample. (AVC's main web site: http://www.avc.com.tw/index2.html).
Seems like a place to start at least.
Unfortunately, I just tried that AVC link and it's dead. :(

EDIT: Okay, my bad; it's only bad because of that ) that's tacked on at the end. Just erase the ) and hit enter in your address bar once it fails to load and you're good.
Last edited by Edward Ng on Sun Jul 18, 2004 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nowhere_man

Post by Nowhere_man » Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:21 am

I dunno where Mr. Baboonking is located but if you root around AVC you'll find a list of phone numbers by country :wink:

greeef

Post by greeef » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:48 am

I've been trying to think of a way to way to maake heatpipes - so far the best thing i've thought of is to ssolder a cap on one end of a copper tube and a valve on the other, then fill with whatever refrigerant.

It may not be the most elegant solution, but it's the most viable i can think of for home use.

griff

Baboonking

Post by Baboonking » Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:42 pm

some interesting ideas. I'm in the uk so i might give avc's german branch a try, I wonder if they'll selll direct though. Cannabalising the zalman hd cooler might be my best bet. The downside is I'd have to mount the heatsink on top of the pc instead of at the side. I'll post again when i find out more.

Incidently I think it would be quite tricky to make a heatpipe because they have an inner core where the hot coolant up and an outer thiner return when cold coolant travels

greeef

Post by greeef » Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:23 am

Baboonking wrote:some interesting ideas. I'm in the uk so i might give avc's german branch a try, I wonder if they'll selll direct though. Cannabalising the zalman hd cooler might be my best bet. The downside is I'd have to mount the heatsink on top of the pc instead of at the side. I'll post again when i find out more.

Incidently I think it would be quite tricky to make a heatpipe because they have an inner core where the hot coolant up and an outer thiner return when cold coolant travels
wow i didnt know that - i thought it was just natural convection in a single pipe.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:24 am

Holy cow at that price I'd love to get a few to play with, myself!

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:12 pm

Like Edward Ng,

I reall love heat pipes too, and want to get some.

I still havent figured out what exacly id do with them though. Does anybody know what C/W they have?

Lwood

Post by Lwood » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:43 am

mpteach wrote:Does anybody know what C/W they have?
From the AVC website

3mm diameter is 0.20 C/W
4mm 0.15 C/W
5mm 0.10 C/W
6mm 0.08 C/W

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:30 pm

Baboonking
Cannabalising the zalman hd cooler might be my best bet.
Don't do this, you'll waste your money. 2HC1 heatpipes are filled with something that starts to vaporize only at 70C, they just don't work below this temp. However, ZM80 pipes do, so you can cannibalize one of these.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:05 pm

Wow; 70C? That's virtuallty useless! Where did you find this data?

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:34 am

Edward Ng
My own experience. One failed project based on 2HC1 pipes...

... and one successfull project with ZM80 ones:

By the way, the wick in all of the Zalaman heatpipes peforms poorly. Normal pipes keep functioning (with some loss of efficiency) even when placed upside down but Zalman ones don't: horizontal placement is a maximum that they can handle.

jojo4u

Post by jojo4u » Wed Sep 01, 2004 1:08 pm

EndoSteel wrote: 2HC1 heatpipes are filled with something that starts to vaporize only at 70C, they just don't work below this temp.
I think this is not true. Zalman must be very silly when they take this heatpipes for a hdd-cooler. And on teschke.de you can find a working mod.
http://www.teschke.de/heatpipes/Neues/B ... pe-pc.html
This heatpipes are from the 2HC1 and are working below 70°C.

nuttybing

Post by nuttybing » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:47 am

EndoSteel wrote:Edward Ng
My own experience. One failed project based on 2HC1 pipes...

... and one successfull project with ZM80 ones:

By the way, the wick in all of the Zalaman heatpipes peforms poorly. Normal pipes keep functioning (with some loss of efficiency) even when placed upside down but Zalman ones don't: horizontal placement is a maximum that they can handle.
That is some very nice homemade heatpipe coolers(though one failed)...by the way what do you mean by placing the heatpipes upside down? Do you mean placing it vertically? Hmm how did you attach the heatpipes to your alu blocks too? Soldering?

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:07 am

jojo4u
Zalman must be very silly when they take this heatpipes for a hdd-cooler.
Well, a 2HC1-cooled 7200 drive in a zero-airflow TNN500 case easily warms up to 65C, so probably they really are silly :). A heatpipe is meant to transfer heat between a heat source and a heatsink and i have no idea how can it be of use when placed as a bridge between two heat sources.

And on teschke.de you can find a working mod.
Thanks for the link. Actually i dont know why that guy's device works ok even with 3 active pipes while my 8-pipe godzilla fails.

EndoSteel

Post by EndoSteel » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:38 am

nuttybing
by the way what do you mean by placing the heatpipes upside down? Do you mean placing it vertically?
Upside down means vertically with hot end above cold end.

Hmm how did you attach the heatpipes to your alu blocks too? Soldering?
The CPU cooler pipes are soldered in place using Wood's alloy (melts at 60-90C) as solder. The VGA cooler employs thermal paste. In fact theres hardly any difference in terms of heat transfer.

Webfire
Friend of SPCR

Post by Webfire » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:29 am

Well... I think the Heatpipes from the 2HC1 are working below 70°C. I made a HDD-Damping-box using these heatpipes and my harddrive reaches temperatures about 37-40°C. Here is a link to my project:
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... highlight=
The cooler on top of the box gets warm, so I'm assuming the heatpipes work. Maybe it's only the copper which transfers the heat, but aslong as it keeps the HDD cool, I don't care if it's only the copper pipe or the heatpipe itself.

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:05 pm

I am salivating also, wouldnt mind paying shiping for 4-12 pipes
If canadian customs are a problem, you could always have them sent to an american counterpart who could bring your your share and distribute the rest.

What percentage tax can your govenment impose on on a free sample? doesnt make any sense to me. And people wonder why im rebpublican:)

Straker

Post by Straker » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:20 pm

mpteach wrote:What percentage tax can your govenment impose on on a free sample? doesnt make any sense to me. And people wonder why im rebpublican:)
uh, well, just because he doesn't have to pay for them doesn't mean they're worthless... not sure about duty on that sort of thing though, but might be able to get away at least without paying actual taxes since the cost is nothing though.

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:15 pm

rukawa wrote:Hmm I need a final call on sizes of the pipes.

I was going for 5mm but the 6mm ones (not really 6mm, thicker on 1 end and thinner on the other) have better thermal resistance.

I thought 5mm would help a bit for projects as they are not too big to fit.
Or should I have gone for the 6mm?
I dunno, get a thousand of each :)

Straker

Post by Straker » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:33 pm

er i just realized...
5000g/2k pipes = 2.5g/pipe? or was he just choosing an arbitrary size of box as the biggest he'd be willing to send, but you'd have to pay extra shipping if he stuffed more than 5kg into it? not that it really matters, just kind of an odd way for him to word it.

any idea what pipes these are exactly (length, wick, what temps they work best at etc)? i'd suggest a thousand of each too if they're samples, unless the 6mm ones are quite a bit better or are a really interesting shape or longer or something...