Where to buy heatpipes

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:54 pm

If you really want to give AVC some publicity, give MikeC or Ralf Hutter some heatpipe samples so they can write an official SPCR review on them, and heatpipe tech in general.

Most of us here have an interest/curiosity in heatpipes.
SPCR has over 5000 members and a growing influence in the world of Silent Computing. That's big time publicity if you ask me.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Fri Sep 03, 2004 6:37 am

Great work Rukawa, keep it up!

MikeC typically review things as they are out of the box.
So a heatpipe review would typically be as how it performs on its own.

I think a better way is to write the review yourself (MikeC can give you some advice on how/what to write). Possibly you could send him what you build to try it out.

There is lots of things that I like to build with heatpipes, and I have had my mind on salvaging a 2HC1 a few times, but decided it wasn't a great idea.
A CPU cooler similar to Fmah's or a heatpipe based PSU cooler sound very tempting. The length of the heatpipes is very important to decide what they can be used for. I hope you get that information soon.

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:04 am

rukawa --

You must know I am in Vancouver. I'm certainly interested, and I am set up to deal with customs, shippiing, etc. IE, I know exactly what has to be done to minimize or avoid all costs.

We should talk :)

Pls email me -- let's chat by phone.

Straker

Post by Straker » Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:27 pm

rukawa wrote:Hmm he did mention the pipes are light. The size of the box won't matter, but the weight will. That's usually how it works for Taiwanese shipping as a company.
of course, just meant it seemed odd for him to say "i can fit 2000 in a box" but that shipping will be the same under 5kg, if the two numbers don't have much to do with each other. :P

and yeah i would imagine mentioning us couldn't hurt, not sure if he'd see what legitimate use one person would have for 2000 free samples otherwise. :)

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:51 pm

Straker wrote:
rukawa wrote:Hmm he did mention the pipes are light. The size of the box won't matter, but the weight will. That's usually how it works for Taiwanese shipping as a company.
of course, just meant it seemed odd for him to say "i can fit 2000 in a box" but that shipping will be the same under 5kg, if the two numbers don't have much to do with each other. :P

and yeah i would imagine mentioning us couldn't hurt, not sure if he'd see what legitimate use one person would have for 2000 free samples otherwise. :)
We could use the heatpipes to stir our cocktails at the annual SPCR bash in Honolulu. Don't tell me you werent invited. 8)

EDIT: Actually its really the worlds quietest LAN party, all you can hear is the waves and surfingf. But just like the Library, if you make too much noise you have to sit in the corner.

nuttybing

Post by nuttybing » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:44 pm

Thats wonderful rukawa! I would also be very interested in getting some heatpipes from you too...hope that the deal goes smoothly too

mpteach - I could imagine a silent lan party going on...that would be way awesome haha, and i could imagine someone going around with a decibel meter measuring the sound of the rigs! Too high and you're out haha

peteamer
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by peteamer » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:22 pm

Which size of heatpipes would be the most effective at helping remove the heat from the stirred drinks bearing in mind the ambient heat of Honolulu? :P
Presumably the ones with the largest surface area are the ones to go for.....

A couple of 'rubber' rings stategically deployed on the heatpipe should help prevent any 'sudden' chink from contact with the glass startling anyone....

...and of course a sorbothane matt at the bottom of the glass in case of accidental 'dropping' of said pipe...

Do you think we should put some matting on the floor like in cocktail bars in case of dropping the glass or is the party on the beach again?

And... how are we going to stop the ice cubes crashing together?.... :?

Is sorbothane beakers going too far?....

Straker

Post by Straker » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:34 am

that sucks, not your fault though. if they won't normally sell to mere mortals, ask what their minimum is, maybe we can do a group order. :P

mpteach

Post by mpteach » Mon Sep 06, 2004 7:08 am

Mabye we can convince an online shop to buy them in bulk and resell them.

efcoins
Friend of SPCR

Post by efcoins » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:41 am

What length are the pipes?
some 200X6mm pipes would be very usefull to me.
Presumably you will get a mix of sizes.

If they are this keen to give away free samples, could you give me Mr Liu's contact details, I could get some and distribute to European SPCR members.

efcoins
Friend of SPCR

Post by efcoins » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:24 pm

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:39 pm

"Flat pipe available."

These appear quite similar, if not identical, to the heatpipes used in the memorysink of the 6800GT stock cooling assembly...

This looks quite interesting! Thanks for the find, efcoins!

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:50 pm

Thanks, rukawa; request submitted.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:17 am

There's a 20V difference between the 2 heatsinks. I'll have to figure out a way to get through that problem without unsoldering the heatsink.
You need to measure each heatsink relative to the case of the PSU.
The case is grounded for sure, and sticking a heatsink out the back of the PSU is defenatly not recommended.
What you need to do is decouple any valotage from the heatsink. This is typically done with isolators that transfer heat between each circuit attached to the heatsink (usually kapton sheets). Also note that the legs of the heatsink might be attached to a live rail.
Next question is if anything else in the PSU gets hot if you remove airflow. E.g. coils, IC, etc. If they are you might need to add cooling to them in some way.
You should count on considerable work to rebuild a PSU to be able to remove the fan. So, you probably want the end result to last a long time. That means starting with a cheap low quality PSU might not be the wisest choise.
The positive thing with this PSU is that you have lots of space, so you might be able to fit heatpipe cooling inside the case.
There are lots of more information about PSU mods in the power supply section.

StealthGirl
-- Vendor --

Quote on Heatpipes

Post by StealthGirl » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:31 pm

Hey guys,

I just got my first quote back on 6mmx200mm sintered core heatpipes. Ouch! I don't know if this guy was trying to gouge me because I'm a woman, or because I didn't want his engineering services, but $8.00 each for quantities of 1000 units seems pretty steep. This was from Norden Products in Menlo Park, CA. These are evidently custom, and not off-the-shelf. I was expecting prices under $0.50 each. Anyone else get quotes?

Kate

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Mon Sep 20, 2004 1:54 pm

I don't know 'bout Norden, but this is the reply I got from Noren:
Ben Makhlouf. Noren Products wrote:Dear Edward,

Thank you for your inquiry about Noren heat pipes. Please e-mail or fax

us a simple sketch or drawing and we will be glad to look over your project to see how we can assist you. Our website does not begin to show all the applications and designs we have solved and manufactured for the past thirty-five years. We are largely a semi-custom/custom thermal manufacturer, but we do have off-the-shelf products. Many of our designs are proprietary and one-of-a-kind so we not divulge all that

we do here in our lab and plant.

We would be pleased to assist you with your thermal issues.

Regards,
Ben Makhlouf
Heat Pipe Applications Engineer
Noren Products, Inc.

StealthGirl
-- Vendor --

Post by StealthGirl » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:18 pm

Edward,

Yep, thats the same first reply I got from Ben Makhlouf. I was able to get a bit further by telling him that our company was developing an aftermarket fanless cooling product and that it had already been designed using Qfin (which is the truth). But, if we can't get off-the-shelf pipes, we're not going to continue. Guess I'll have to get ahold of Mr. Liu from AVC Taipei. (Hello, Rukawa in Canada ... any progress??)

Kate

brett

Re: Where to buy heatpipes

Post by brett » Tue Sep 21, 2004 2:52 am

Baboonking wrote:Hi there people,

This is my first post to spcr forums. Though I've been picking up lots of good ideas from others posts for a while. I was really inspired by Fred Mahs passive cpu cooling setup

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article114-page3.html

I think i'd like to try building something similar. I think it could get a heatsink from a scrap metal dealer and make the cpu block and other parts but does anyone know anywhere that sells individual heatpipes?

Baboonking,

I am also planning to copy fmah's design, i was thinking about using a thermalright XP-120 or similar and bending the heatpipes which are already connected to the base of the heatsink.

I don't know if/how the heatpipes are connected to the top of the heatsink though - this may cause a problem - anyone have experience with XP-120? Are the heatpipes soldered to the heatsink fins?

Also I don't know how easy it will be to bend them.

Brett

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Sep 21, 2004 4:31 am

They appear to be quite well attached on my XP-90.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Where to buy heatpipes

Post by Rusty075 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:57 am

brett wrote:Also I don't know how easy it will be to bend them.
I'm not even sure they'll work after you bend them.

Heatpipes are fairly delicate, and have an internal capilary wick structure.

Making a bend that big will likely either kink the pipe's wall, or crack the wick, or both, destroying its superconducting ability.

flyingsherpa
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by flyingsherpa » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:17 am

Edward Ng wrote:I don't know 'bout Norden, but this is the reply I got from Noren:
Ben Makhlouf. Noren Products wrote:Dear Edward,

Thank you for your inquiry about Noren heat pipes. Please e-mail or fax

us a simple sketch or drawing and we will be glad to look over your project to see how we can assist you. Our website does not begin to show all the applications and designs we have solved and manufactured for the past thirty-five years. We are largely a semi-custom/custom thermal manufacturer, but we do have off-the-shelf products. Many of our designs are proprietary and one-of-a-kind so we not divulge all that

we do here in our lab and plant.

We would be pleased to assist you with your thermal issues.

Regards,
Ben Makhlouf
Heat Pipe Applications Engineer
Noren Products, Inc.
i got that same reply from rukawa's free link. so i just emailed the guy back saying that i just want heatpipes to experiment with and if i like them, then maybe i would work with his company when i have heat issues in the future. i think i had quite a snotty tone to my email (something about how the 'FREE' link didn't say anything about any strings attached in form of submitting a sketch). oh, and i sent it from my work address which is from a large, well-known company. he replied promptly that he was shipping me a free sample the very same day. YMMV. I'll let you know if i ever get it.

efcoins
Friend of SPCR

Post by efcoins » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:01 am

I have started a new thread on basically the same subject, as this thread has gone cold.
I have found a cooperative supplier for these things
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... 882#128882