Logitech MX-1000 Mouse - NOISY CLICKING!!!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Logitech MX-1000 Mouse - NOISY CLICKING!!!

Post by acaurora » Sat Sep 11, 2004 11:05 am

Just wanted to let all of those people that are into getting quiet keyboards / mice - while the MX1000 is very intriguing with the whole laser vs LED thing, THE BUTTONS ARE SO NOISY! I have a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer (the latest version, wired), and it is much quieter. In addition, the Intellimouse's scroll wheel is also smoother, without any noticeable "clicks" while scrolling. Granted, the Intellimouse also doesn't have a battery, so the MX1000 does feel a bit heavier. However, the MX1000 is somewhat more comfortable to use, despite its noisy clicking.

One nice thing about the Logitech that Microsoft does a bad job of is the application switcher. This is my 2nd Logitech Mouse, and the application switch is pretty cool, and better than Microsoft's. The Cruise Control function is also pretty nifty.

I have tried the LX500 that Edward Ng was talking about earlier, and I agree with him - it's very quiet. Although, I have grown accustomed to my Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite (it is somewhat noisy), and going back to a standard type keyboard is something I don't want to do. I'm too used to the "Natural Curve" Design :)

In all, the MX1000 is a nice mouse. I have not felt any lag in response (this is my first wireless mouse though), and the battery lasts for a LONG time (I have used it for about a week now, and I'm still at full battery life (mainly doing web browsing/gaming) without ever placing it on the cradle. However, despite how much better it is than the Microsoft in terms of comfort, style (Logitech blows MS out of the water in this category), and features (ditto), the noisy clicking may prompt me to return it =[.

If any of you want pics I can provide them.

EDIT: Blah, someone needs to move this to the Silent Front, I put it in the wrong category -_-;;

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:35 pm

You can remove the post, you know -- at least I can. Press the [x] icon in the top right of the post. Of course, you should repost/copy it before you delete it.

But no, can't help you with the issue at hand, sorry.

EDIT -- I can't see the cross mark either in this subforum. Boy do I feel stupid :oops: :oops:
Last edited by Pjotor on Sat Sep 11, 2004 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:39 pm

I know about that. I don't see it. Perhaps certain sub-forums allow that, some don't.

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:46 pm

If it's that noisey you could always put the mouse in another room - it is wireless afterall! :lol:

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Sep 11, 2004 12:52 pm

... OH I GET IT. a ha.. a ha... a ha....

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:46 pm

The think the wheel motion is a matter of preference; the main reason why I no longer can stand M$ mice is due to the no-notch wheel (the side-scroll M$ mice have zero notch for the vertical scrolling, and I absolutely can't stand it). I don't get proper feel for the scroll action without the notchiness, and it really impresses me greatly that Logitech maintained the notchy feel while integrating horizontal scrolling--something M$ hasn't been capable of so far. Their new, "museum quality," designer mouse, by Stark, is purely a fashion statement, with two buttons and vertical scroll, that's it. But for $30, I guess I can't complain, and they do look quite nice, to me (but that's purely subjective, and doesn't mean it's, "museum-quality").

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:52 pm

That Starck mouse, I bought it. Returned it the next day. SUCKS. If you rest your hand on it, the mouse buttons will click. Too sensitive. Sucks. Period. Makes a nice paperweight, though.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:53 pm

Ah, I see; didn't notice that with my 30 seconds playing around with it at CompUSSR...

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Sat Sep 11, 2004 1:58 pm

well i live relatively closeby to all the computer stores near me, so it isn't really a big deal to buy, come home, test, return next day.

It is cool though, that the entire blue stripe lights up, even though it runs on a red LED.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:23 am

Pjotor wrote:You can remove the post, you know -- at least I can. Press the [x] icon in the top right of the post. Of course, you should repost/copy it before you delete it.

But no, can't help you with the issue at hand, sorry.

EDIT -- I can't see the cross mark either in this subforum. Boy do I feel stupid :oops: :oops:
You can only delete your own post as long as it is the last post in the thread.

vhx1

Post by vhx1 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:58 am

i dunno when i comes to mice i really don't think the loudness of the button should influence ur decision a bit. the only condition when loudness comes into play is if ur college roomate decides to get one of these things. I have and hope i don't miss my roomate off hahaha

NeilBlanchard

How are all the buttons?

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:33 am

Hello:

I am very curious to hear any other details about the MX1000 -- I mouse for a living (using DataCAD) and I have both the MX700 (8 buttons - 3 of them are useless) and the Click! Plus (5 useable buttons).

I have two questions (at least): how useable are all the buttons on the MX1000 -- can you reach and press them comfortably?

Is the tilting wheel useful, or is it a pain? I depend rather heavily on the middle button for object snapping in DataCAD, and if this tilting prevented the middle button from working (or if it cannot be disabled), then the MX1000 would be a non-starter; despite the apparently awesome tracking...

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:47 am

(i apologize ahead of time, i'm eating in one hand and typing this with the other)

the mx1000 is VERY comfortable (more so than the latest ms intellimouse explorer), and all the buttons are easy to reach / press (although a bit loud for my taste (my intellimouse's click is a dull, soft one. the mx1000 is a sharp, loud click)

i dont use the tilt scrolling much, but it is easy to do/use. just lean your middle finger on either side and push.

I use nearly every button on the mouse with the exception for the application switcher (I'm old-school - ALT+TAB!!!)

As for the response time, it is very fast, and the only really noticeable (you have to be really impatient like me to notice it) lag is when you move it after it has been stationary for a while (it automatically goes off after a few seconds of not moving). Other than that, it's great. I've had it for about a week now, and without placing it on the charging cradle it still is @ full power. (3 out of 3 bars) The battery gauge is VERY convienent, and it also says so on the included utility all the settings/power levels that you could ever want. The cruise control also is useful for when you have long documents that you dont wanna be rolling the scroll wheel over and over.

No typos... I'm surprised. *gobbles down the last of his fries and burger*

Becks

Post by Becks » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:47 pm

When I was into gaming for a little more than fun I went though every mouse that came out.. mouseman+<explorer1.0<boomslang<explorer2.0<duallogi<explorer3.0<mx700<mx1000
are the ones that lasted at least a month.. duallogi and explorer3 were very close.

ANyways mx1000 is quite a jump over the mx700, I was quite suprised.

MX1000 has 12 buttons..
1,2 left/right clicks - they work :P
3,4,5 thumb buttons, they are better placed than the mx700, all 3 are very useable. I can use them all with easy.. i never used the forward button the mx700 it was too much of a reach.
6,7 up/down buttons around the wheel, simialr to the scrollup/down on the 700, only differece is these are useful :P the down is a little reach and i probalby won't use it but hte up is very useful.
8,9 wheel up/down, theres no click while the wheel turns compared to the 700 but it is very accurate, its not mushy like the explorer3.0 was. the click is gone but i'd say its just as good, just different
10 wheel click, little harder to press than the 700 but its not that bad, some people proablby will like it more
11,12 tilt left/right.. kinda hard to press, same press as the wheel click but your pushing to the left and its not as natual as down. most likely i won't use it

Overall I'd say on the mx1000, out of the 12 buttons, 8 are very useable.
-2 for the tilt left/right
-1 for the down button around the wheel
-1 for the wheel click (i've never used wheelclick)

On the 700 for comparison
1,2 left/right click.. work
3,4 thumb forwardback, little reach to the back but doable, the forward is too far a reach and i never used it
5 application button, what a joke worst placed buton ever
6,7 scrool up down buttons, too small, the down is impossible to use the up is a little reach.. i never used either
8,9 wheel up down, nice click i liked the wheel
10 wheel press hard to press but i never use them anyways

mx700 where I'd say out of 10, 5 are useable.
-1 application button is worthless on that mouse
-2 up/down around the wheel, too small and hard to reach
-1 forward thumb
-1 wheel click

"Is the tilting wheel useful, or is it a pain? I depend rather heavily on the middle button for object snapping in DataCAD, and if this tilting prevented the middle button from working (or if it cannot be disabled), then the MX1000 would be a non-starter; despite the apparently awesome tracking..."

The tilt can be ignored, i've never accidently tilted when i meant to do something else, you specificaly have to push the wheel to the left, its not like the explorer ones that mush around. (least i think that was an explorer i remeber it on) anyways the tilt doens't interfer wiht the normal wheel functions at all

Some other stuff about the mx1000... according to specs its heavier than the 700 however mine feels lighter, perhaps the weight is more evenly distribued but honestly if i had an accurate scale around I can't believe the 1000 is heavier.

The batteries last a very long time... i don't believe 20 days but over 10 is very realistic.. i guess it depends on usage, but either way its much better than the 700

The putting hte mouse in teh charger always charges! lol i hated trying to get my 700 to charge sometimes.. so far the 1000 always makes contact and begins charging.

Accuracy is insane... 700 is great but you can tell the 1000 is better when you use it... i cant think of a way to test the 2 however... soon as you use it you'll noctice how nice it is...

overall 1000 is a big jump over the 700, i didn't expect it to be much more than a 700 with a new design and I'm quite happy wiht what it turned out to be... actually i'm ordering one for my gf so yea if its good enough for her its good enough for anyone ;)

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:49 pm

I always found useability of buttons to be heavily dependent on how you like to hold the mouse (i.e. how far to the front your hand is) and how long your fingers are; for example, my friend Amar has a hand (palm) like mine, but his fingers are nearly an inch longer than my fingers are, and we have completely different useability results with the same mice.

Sam Williams

Post by Sam Williams » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:53 pm

Lasers, eh? My Microshaft Wireless Optical Blue is really showing its age now.

I'll probably wait until the laser system filters down to 2- and 3-button mice; I once had a multi-button mouse and nearly blew out a brain lobe.

NeilBlanchard

I have one now...

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:35 am

Hello:

I took the plunge, and bought one since CompUSA had 'em for $80. I like it. The main buttons do make audible clicks, but the scroll wheel is quieter than others.

The biggest problem is the Back and Forward buttons do not work with FireFox. :cry: My previous Logitech Click! Plus worked fine, so I don't know what's goin' on... They do work with IE. :roll:
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:37 am

I find the Logitech mice do not map reverse and foward properly to FireFox.

On the good side, I've learned to use Mouse Gestures extension for that, or just my backspace key.

NeilBlanchard

Thanks!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Sep 21, 2004 5:43 am

Hello Edward:
Edward Ng wrote:I find the Logitech mice do not map reverse and foward properly to FireFox.

On the good side, I've learned to use Mouse Gestures extension for that, or just my backspace key.
Thanks for mentioning these -- they work great. I had no idea what mouse gestures were...

BTW, my Logitech Click! Plus mouse's Forward and Back buttons *did* work with FireFox, FWIW.

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:21 am

That's a great tip; thanks!

I actually force the underline characters to always show anyway, in the display effects preferences, so it won't affect me. :D

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:26 am

Edward Ng wrote:I actually force the underline characters to always show anyway, in the display effects preferences, so it won't affect me. :D
No matter what version of Windows, I always end up reversing all the "default" Windows settings... :?

Cheers,

Jan

engseng

Post by engseng » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:18 am

Yeah, I find Microsoft mice to be more quieter than Logitech's. Still, the laser sounds cool but it doesn't sound safe. Even though Logitech says the laser switches off when it's not in contact with a surface.

How's the accuracy? Some of the cheaper Logitech mice I used have this tendency to move around the screen by itself....As if it's drawing a half-circle or something. And no, no one is controlling my computer. :D

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:52 am

Second to none by a margin of several magnitudes.

There is no comparison.

Straker

Post by Straker » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:23 am

Edward Ng wrote:Second to none by a margin of several magnitudes.

There is no comparison.
you have an mx1000 then? how is it for precision/sensitivity as well? like, is it still possible to make the mouse go left if you twitch it to the right the way you could with a lot of regular optical mice? :P

Edward Ng
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Edward Ng » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:02 pm

Impossible.

Mind you, a lot of the problems you describe I've experienced only with cheap mouse pads. The thing you talk of, I've never experienced on my RatPadz GS mousepad, with the MX1000, with an MX510, with an MX900 or with an MX300 (in order of precision, from highest to lowest, from my experiences).

-Ed

NeilBlanchard

Optical mice need optical pads

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:53 pm

Hello:

Edward is correct -- optical mice need optical pads for more accurate behaviour. And wireless optical mice need a good pad/surface to run longer on their batteries. The last MS rodent I used lasted about a day on a black plastic laminate surface, and it lasted about 3 days on a optical pad.

I've just ordered a new Everglide Giganta from SVC -- it should be low friction (like ice) and it has reflective sparkles and a textured plastic surface that should help the batteries last a good long while...

burcakb

Post by burcakb » Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:09 am

Edward Ng wrote:Impossible.

Mind you, a lot of the problems you describe I've experienced only with cheap mouse pads. The thing you talk of, I've never experienced on my RatPadz GS mousepad, with the MX1000, with an MX510, with an MX900 or with an MX300 (in order of precision, from highest to lowest, from my experiences).

-Ed
Ed, that might be because you've used Logitech only. My MS rat wandered all about the place, even on my func surface. My MX310 on the other hand is rock solid.

Logitech has always been my choise. The MS was bought just for the extra accuracy in gaming (the MX series wasn't out then). Now, I'm back to the fold (pun intended - we need the points everybody)

acaurora
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by acaurora » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:10 am

I have had my Ratpadz GS for about 3 months. After using a MS Intellimouse Explorer (from the very first, to the latest, wired), then going to the MX1000 on this mousepad, I have yet to see it twitch. Now, with my OLD mousepad, which is a cheapo medically branded pad, my MS mice did twitch around.

PaleMelanesian

Post by PaleMelanesian » Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:59 am

On the back/forward button issue in Firefox, I generally use the rocker buttons setting. I have a mouse with back/forward buttons, but don't really use them.

With rocker buttons, you press the left button, press the right, release the left, release the right. This does forward. The reverse does back. It sounds a bit complicated, but it's not. It's really natural.