New Technology Canon/Toshiba Display

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

icancam

New Technology Canon/Toshiba Display

Post by icancam » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:34 pm

I currently use a 21 inch CRT Trinitron with the flat faced tube technology. It is very heavy, very bulky, and generates lots of heat. But it also produces noticeably superior results in terms of sheer visual quality than any LCD or plasma display that I've seen so far. I especially appreciate the subtle color contrasts that it is capable of producing and the seamless way it has of highlighting lettering in text without the jagged edges evident with LCD and plasma screens. Wouldn't it be great to have a CRT's superior visual quality in combination with the slimmer packaging and lowered heat emission of the other two types of display?

Perhaps, a new technology developed by Canon, partnered with Toshiba, will provide us the superior visual qualities of CRT's without the usual drawbacks of size and heat. The SED screen is said to be one half less power hungry than large CRT's and one third less so than plasma panels. It is still a ways off but encouraging enough that I'll probably keep my present monitor until I've had a chance to compare the future Canon/Toshiba offerings.
http://www.canon.com/technology/detail/ ... d_display/

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:10 pm

When are they coming out? I wanna see them and see how well they work. Not necessarily for a monitor, but for a nice flat TV that'll use 2/3rds the power of an LCD-TV.

icancam

Post by icancam » Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:06 pm

sthayashi wrote:When are they coming out?
Not very soon, alas! The only availability date that I've seen mentioned is April 2006 for HDTV capable models. There can be many a slip in schedule between prototype and production status. Since a huge market will open up for Canon and Toshiba if this new technology is indeed noticeably superior to LCD and plasma, they will doubtless make every effort to save face and deliver the product on schedule. Too bad it's not tomorrow! :(
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... toshiba_tv

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:22 pm

I'm going to have to make a ton of money and go on a shopping spree in Japan at some point. Between the Pentium-M motherboards and sweet SED technologies, there's no reason I shouldn't go.

icancam

Post by icancam » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:48 pm

sthayashi wrote:I'm going to have to make a ton of money and go on a shopping spree in Japan at some point. Between the Pentium-M motherboards and sweet SED technologies, there's no reason I shouldn't go.
Need someone to carry your bags? :D

The SED technology should be of considerable interest to gamers because "Unlike liquid-crystal displays and plasma displays ..... images on SED panels don't get jagged even when displaying ..... fast-moving objects." The issue with 'ghosting' on LCD screens has been another compelling reason, aside from superior color fidelity and contrast, to favor a CRT monitor.

silvervarg

Post by silvervarg » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:00 am

It seems that they are targeting 40 inch and bigger models only with the SED technology. That seems to bee a bit big for the computer screen, so it seems that LCD will rule normal monitors for quite a while. For a big TV in the living room it sure sounds nice to have a 40+ inch screen with crisp image and no shadowing problems.

icancam

Post by icancam » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:35 am

silvervarg wrote:It seems that they are targeting 40 inch and bigger models only with the SED technology.
Yes, I noticed that, too. Hopefully, they will not forget computer users and exploit their technology in somewhat smaller sizes as monitors (a wide aspect 30-35 inch screen would fit beautifully on the desk in my home office :) ).

I've been going to various City (of Phoenix) planning, engineering, assessor, and recorder's offices and was interested to see plasma screens of 40 inches and larger being used as monitors to display maps and engineering drawings. There's no subsitute for screen size as long as the image quality is superior, particularly if the price is competitive with lower resolution alternatives. I always want the largest I can afford which is why I currently use a 21 inch CRT monitor.