Zalman CNPS7000B and socket A

Cooling Processors quietly

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Knicky

Zalman CNPS7000B and socket A

Post by Knicky » Thu Oct 21, 2004 5:46 am

hallo,

I want to buy the Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu cooler and I have a Gigabyte GA-7VRXP (2.0) Socket A motherboard.
On the zalman webside the "CNPS7000A/B compatible Socket 462 Motherboard list" says my motherboard is compatible but

"Clip must be cut off to avoid interference"

what does this mean? Just a little adjustments or trouble!!!!

Has anyone experience with this.

Thanks

Jan Kivar
Friend of SPCR

Post by Jan Kivar » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:30 am

The clip which attaches the cooler to the board has two sets of holes, the inner ones for AXPs/PIVs and the other, outer ones for A64s. Basically You will have to cut away one of the outer holes of the clip (and also the end of the clip). The clip has a pretty solid structure, so iron saw is preferable.

It has to be cut away because there are some components (usually capacitors) too near the socket which interferes with the installation.

"It's like sawing off one cm out of a pencil. The only problem is that the pencil is made of metal." :wink:

Welcome to SPCR!

Cheers,

Jan

Denorios

Zalman 7000 Clip

Post by Denorios » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:40 am

It is not a major problem, it just requires a little metal work. The clip is the bar that runs through the heatsink, with two little screw holes at either end. The screw holes are the points at which the clip bar mounts to the silver and blue clip supports that you screw either side of the socket.

The outer screw hole on each side is meant for mounting on an Athlon 64 socket, and is not necessary for Socket A mounting. All you have to do is take a hacksaw, or other fine metalsaw, and carefully saw horizontally between the two holes, cutting off the piece of metal that the outer hole is in - this should stop the clip from fouling the capacitors.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/ ... st_eng.htm

Look carefully at the diagram on this page, and you will see what I mean.

Oh, and Welcome to SPCR!

Lwood

Post by Lwood » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:03 am

This is the setup I have, and its not a major problem. My two points are that the clip is small and that makes it hard to work with; I used a hacksaw but I wished I had a dremel. Also, you don't need to remove much. I cut through the outer holes since it was less work, and so I couldn't slip and cut into the inner holes.

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Thu Oct 21, 2004 7:31 am

I just snipped the clip off with a good pair of tin snips... If a klutz like me can do it, you can -- just be steady on the hands. Good luck!

Knicky

Post by Knicky » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:31 am

Thanks guys

So the clips are held by just two screws (inner holes). Now I can see the next problem rising
my motherboard is installed in a tower standing vertical and the cooler is held by just two screws
slowly sliding of my processor. Maybe I’ am dreaming but this thing weights 755g :wink: .

Sorry for my english I’ am not a native speaker

Pjotor
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Pjotor » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:24 am

Knicky -- no problems unless you move your computer a lot or move it without being careful. If you follow the mounting instructions and tighten the screws as necessary, don't worry.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:02 am

Can't you get the Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu? It weights a lot less, is often a bit cheaper and the performance difference is <1°C.