NV Silencer 5 noise

They make noise, too.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Noizz

NV Silencer 5 noise

Post by Noizz » Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:49 am

I just got the NV 5 installed on a BFG 6800 GT OC.
Its got a clicking kinda huming sound. its not those smooth sounding fans, but an annoying hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :evil:
i've read posts before regarding the PVM thingy on teh videocard is affecting the humming clicking?
if i plug the fan into PSU rather than the on board connector will it fix the problem? or should i also plug in a zalman fanmate to lower the noise further? i just want to get rid of the clicking huming noise!
any suggestions welcome!

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:05 am

Indeed, this thing is NOT silent.

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:47 am

Yes, its the PWM.

Yes, plugging it into a molex from the PSU will make the humming go away.

Yes, it is not silent. :wink:

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:06 am

Rusty075 wrote:Yes, plugging it into a molex from the PSU will make the humming go away.

Yes, it is not silent. :wink:
Is it only noisy due to PWM or is the fan itself noisy?

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:45 am

It sounds like the really objectional noise is the buzzing from the PWM, most people seem to be fairly happy once that goes away. (I don't actually own one of the new ones)

I know Mike & the Lab Rats are working on a round-up of the new AC-S's, so he'll likely have more detailed information.

"Mike & the Lab Rats"....sounds like an '80's punk band.

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:24 pm

i knew it! stupid PVM......

haha mike and the lab rats lol :lol:

i'll post about the PVM issue once i splice them wires and put them on the psu.

yeah its not that silent... but the only thing im really bothered about is the HUMMMMMMM that is so annoying. i think if a smooth fan runs really smoothly like those Nexus fans its pretty darn quiet cas all i hear is the whooshing of air being moved. i just wanna get rid of the PVM clicking.

and the really weird thing that i dun get about arctic cooling silencer the fins have scoops right? but how come it spins the other way so that the scoop isn't actually scoping the air??? like its using the backside of the bent fin pushing the air.
shouldn't it scoop the air? not sort of push it? anyone care to explain to me?
wouldn't it be more effiecent :?:
url = http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php? ... ta=6&disc=

as u can see the bent fins aren't scooping the air its more like pushing with a bent fin.
im just curious and dumb :oops: haha someone please explain! i can't sleep at night lol

Hifriday
Patron of SPCR

Post by Hifriday » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:05 am

I have a Galaxy GF6800GT that comes with the AC Silencer installed. I have the fan connected to a Zalman controller, but the fan still buzzes so I wouldn't get your hopes too high taking it off PWM.
However with the voltage turned down all the way (approx 5v) the noise is faint enough that I don't find it annoying, although you can still hear the buzz within 2 feet and unfortunately it is the loudest component in my system.
As for the fan direction, that is very odd indeed. I always thought it spun the other direction, but just had a quick check and in fact it does seem to spin backwards instead of scooping the air which would seem more logical?!?

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Fri Oct 29, 2004 3:34 pm

awwww man...... are u sure?
can anyone please tell me whether taking the NV5 off the PVM will make a difference or not?
cas im getting confused about people saying it does, and ppl saying it doesn't.

yeA! someone is with me on the whole scooping idea.
it doesn't make sense! scooping more air would allow the silencer to push more air out.

Hifriday
Patron of SPCR

Post by Hifriday » Fri Oct 29, 2004 6:42 pm

Noizz

Well "noise" can be quite subjective and fans are subject to manufacturing variations so why not judge for yourself? You can simply take the AC Silencer fan connector and plug it directly into a regular fan header on your fan controller or mb. Although the Silencer fan connector has only 2 pins, it will still fit onto a regular 3 pin header, just make sure you match the red to red and black to black (you may check the pin orientation on other 3 pin fans in your system and should be the same).
Again I wouldn't expect too much based on my experience with my Silencer fan, although there might be some improvement over PWM.

:roll: (hey maybe you could reverse the red-black to get the fan to scoop instead!! - well maybe not, I don't think you can simply reverse polarity on a fan and don't know what that would do)

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:12 pm

The fan spins the right way. (this has been discussed before)

If the fan spun in reverse it would pull air from its outside edge inward towards the hub. And then where would it go?

As designed, the "backwards" scoops push the air outwards, against the shroud, so that as the blade passes in front of the opening in the shroud for the exhaust the high pressure air up against the shroud is released down the exhaust path.

It's like a really low rpm, really low boost turbocharger.

wumpus
Patron of SPCR

Post by wumpus » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:52 pm

Shoot, I was just going to start a new thread describing how happy I was with my NV5 Silencer (on a Verto 6800gt). IMO it is very quiet-- definitely as quiet as the old-school VGA Silencer I had on my 9800 Pro.

Arguably quieter since my VGA Silencer developed an annoying tick over time. I know because setting it to "high" caused the tick to increase in frequency.

Anyway, for my money, the NV5 Silencer is better than the VGA Silencer. Much easier to install too, but I guess that's expected since the models are product specific now.

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:38 pm

hmmmmm....... does it still have the clicking noise? maybe ur 6800 has a GOOD PVM.... :( lucky...... cas my NV5 is like as loud as the old school one at full speed.

well i tried to plug it into a zalman fanmate and the ticking is still there :evil:

but if i plug into mobo the ticking is slightly reduced but i can't control the fan speed on mobo.... anyone know what program to use?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Nov 03, 2004 10:37 pm

I know that PWM has been shown to exist on certain ATI cards, but is that the case with the nVidia 6800 series? Or even specifically, the BFG? I could easily see PWM fan control being left up to the manufacturer.

I can't help but wonder at this point if you just have a bum fan.

Lwood

Post by Lwood » Thu Nov 04, 2004 5:11 am

Noizz

Did you plug the fanmate into the motherboard and still hear clicking? The most recommeneded solution is to to use a fanmate on the motherboard fan header, and adjust your speed that way.

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:57 pm

I made mine quiet by taking the fan and plugging it into the motherboard fan header just like Lwood stated. Then I used Asus' AiBooster utility to adjust the fan speed. Oddly, the temperature of the GPU stayed constant.

fanerman91

Post by fanerman91 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:11 pm

Does plugging it into a fan controller eliminate the clicking completely? Does lowering the RPMs reduce it to the noise level of say... the VGA Silencer Rev 3?

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:45 pm

Yes, it eliminated the noise completely.

Artagra

Post by Artagra » Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:13 pm

I've got mine running at 3.75 v on a fan controller. Runs slowly and quietly and more than cool enough for 2d work (on an X800 Pro), with it pushed up to 5v's it's fine for 3d work - impressive cooler.

fanerman91

Post by fanerman91 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:39 am

Has there been any discussion/rumors about a Rev 2 for this Silencer series?

Noizz

Post by Noizz » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:42 am

well i plugged mine into the zalman fanmate and the clicking is still there. where as plugging it into the mobo does reduce the clicking noise.

im not sure about fan controllers. my zalman fan mate is like a 1 channel fan controller. and the clicking doesn't get any better from that. the VGA rev 3 clicking is just as worse on high speed to the NV5.

i want to plug it into the mobo and adjust the fan speed. my mobo is p4c800e-d. daba do u think i can use the ai booster? i dun think i have that option on my mobo. not sure. know of any programs to control my fan with software?