Holy Crapper!

The forum for non-component-related silent pc discussions.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

ONEshot

Holy Crapper!

Post by ONEshot » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:50 pm

OH MAN. I just installed my VGA Silencer bought from Ed and one of those Zalman NB chips.

I have a feeling that that was half the battle. Its so much quieter I can't believe it! Far from silent, but MAN what a difference!

Here's what I"m worried about though. The NB temp took a leap from ~45 idle to ~53 idle... The new one is passive, of course, but I'm wondering about the effectiveness of heat transfer in that thermal adhesive... There were no holes, so that was the only option for me, but still... Should I be worried about these temps?

Also, my video card (9500 Pro from ATI) doesn't support Temp monitoring, and I'm running this VGA silencer on Low right now. How do I check if Its running dangerously hot?

Thanks, y'all.

Still to install: Seasonic w/M1A (replacing smartpower), Alpha 8952 w/Sanyo Denki (replacing stock P4 cooler), Globe 120 (replacing Antec 80mm smartfan).

MAN I'm excited!

Rusty075
SPCR Reviewer

Re: Holy Crapper!

Post by Rusty075 » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:55 pm

ONEshot wrote:The NB temp took a leap from ~45 idle to ~53 idle... Should I be worried about these temps?
As long as you're not crashing, and the NB temp stays out of the triple digits, you're fine. :lol:

ONEshot wrote:Also, my video card (9500 Pro from ATI) doesn't support Temp monitoring, and I'm running this VGA silencer on Low right now. How do I check if Its running dangerously hot?
Run 3DMark as a loop for an hour or so and watch for crashes.
I ran my heavily overclocked/cracked 9500 with an AC-S on low for months (maybe even a year) without issue. You should be fine. :lol:

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:22 pm

Well, seems as though after that epoxy set it, my NB temps have gone down!

Wow. Just... Wow.

caber

Post by caber » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:40 pm

cool! good luck! and use the computer for silent folding @home =)