Want silence, please help.

Got a shopping cart of parts that you want opinions on? Get advice from members on your planned or existing system (or upgrade).

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

worlann

Want silence, please help.

Post by worlann » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:39 pm

Okay, this is starting to really irritate me. I don't have an overclocked computer, but my fans seem to always run the loudest. My setup is:

Aspire X-Dreamer-II Black Case
ASUS A7A266 Mobo (upgrading to socket 939 this Christmas)
AMD Athlon 2000+ (also upgrading to 3500+)
Vantec FCE-6245Y CPU Heatsink (temporary upgrade, stock HS died)
Antec NeoPower 480 PSU
ASUS GeForce 4 Ti 4200 w/ AGP 8x (forget model name... going to upgrade later on, not sure when)
ASUS 50x CD-ROM
20GB HD from Western Digital
2x 20dBA Blue LED Fans (window intake, top exaust)
1x Silenx 14dBA 80mm rear exaust (bought two, thought the case had 2 80mm rear slots, but only has once place for one 120/92/80mm)

Hopefully that takes care of all the noisy things in my computer. Alot of the things on there will be upgraded by next year, so I don't want a solution to fit only my current system. Also I do believe I can trade in my 2 Silenx fans in for a 120mm one, should I do this? Any help on this situation would be great, I have asked in many forums but none have helped me with my problem. Also, while cost isn't too much of a proble, I still want the cheapest solution possible.

caber

Post by caber » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:43 pm

SilenX, Vantec what a dreaded name in these boards. Oust-standing premium for outstanding peformance (in the noise department) , kind of like Bose?

Have you tried running "Speedfan" and monitoring the temperatures? hopefully from that data you can work your way around and see how many fans you need.

Those fans you have are not known as "silent" fans. Try taking a look at the recommended section about fans. Personally, (but guessing at your case setup) I would go for the 120 mm fan option. Nexus is hassle free but the airflow is kind of low or a undervolted panaflo (will comment about globe in the future, have not yet tried so someone else please fill me in). a 120mm rear exhaust should be pretty good. That's what MikeC recommended me for my game machine.

And if you can hear your PSU fan, mod it (at your own risk) for a fan swap or try one of those seasonic PSUs. Again, the recommended section is really helpful.

Hope my advice can help (and is correct...) take care!

worlann

Post by worlann » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:21 pm

I'm trying this SpeedFan program, but it doesn't make too much sense to me. It shows Fan1,2,4-9 at 0 RPM, and Fan3 at 4754 RPM. Temp2 and Temp are 54 degrees and has a flame next to them, Temp1 is listed as 34 degrees and has a blue down arrow, and the last two are -1 degrees, also with down arrows... to me this is gibberish. Also looking at my BIOS, my PSU's RPM is 1000 and it is highlighted in red text.

As far as Panaflos go, I believe the store that I'm buying from does carry them. Are they actually silent? The real problem with my SilenX fans is that they don't give much airflow (I cannot feel any on my hand).

Looking for more advice. More the better.

colin

Post by colin » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:42 am

The speedfan results do look odd. Try poking around in the documentation on its site.

It's impossible for a fan to be silent, but some are a lot noisier than others. As caber suggested, read the fan roundup at http://www.silentpcreview.com/modules.p ... =63&page=1. See also the sections on recommended CPUs, heatsinks, and power supplies

Expect to mailorder (there are links to various sources elsewhere on this site). There are three stores near me and they all have crap selection plus extortionate prices.