Even more confusion as to what to buy!

PSUs: The source of DC power for all components in the PC & often a big noise source.

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee, Devonavar

Paul G

Even more confusion as to what to buy!

Post by Paul G » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:04 pm

Hi guys,
Well, I'm still tossing up as to what PSU to buy.

At the moment I can't chose between
A: Enermax Noisetaker 470W ($148AU)
B: Zalman Noiseless 400W ($137AU + Shipping)
C: (this is the new thing) TAGAN 480W ATX Power Supply ($135AU)

Now I've read the "Don't buy Tagan" thread, which is putting me off it, but the computer store selling the PSU's says that the Tagan is less noisey than the Enermax.

The other option is a sonata, but the one I've got at the moment is a bit too noisey for me!

Please, someone help! I have no idea what to buy!

Paul

P.S. Just to remove any doubts, Seasonic and Nexus PSU's are not available in Australia, so I can't really get them.

ONEshot

Post by ONEshot » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:45 pm

You could get a forton and mod it :)

caber

Post by caber » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:55 pm

Damn too bad seasonincs are not avaliable over there :( How about ordering one from North American and shipping it (or is the shipping cost not worth it...?)

May I ask what is the main purpose of the machine? Seems like quite a bit of power (or maybe graphics cards nowadays just need that much...)

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:22 pm

According to Power Supply Fundamentals & Recommended Units the Enermax makes less noise and has a higher efficiency than the Zalman. The Enermax is the only PSU of the three you list that has a bottom air intake.

If you have a free 5.25" bay, then you can build a PSU duct. The benefit of this is, that the PSU gets cool air in stead of warm case air. So it's fan(s) won't spin up as fast.

If you first make the decission between duct / no duct then the decission which PSU to choose is reduced to two options. A or C if you don't want a duct; B or C if you do want a duct.

(Sorry I can't say anything about the Tagan's noise.)

daba
Friend of SPCR

Post by daba » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:32 pm

Why don't you try the Seasonic Super Silencer 460W Rev A3? I have one in my rig right now and I'm very pleased with it!

ceraf

Post by ceraf » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:18 pm

having an enermax noisetaker myself, I would highly recommend it. For me, it was so quiet that I thought the fans inside weren't working or something since I had just retired from a loud generic PSU.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Re: Even more confusion as to what to buy!

Post by Tibors » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:27 pm

I always wonder why people do this.

Part of the question:
Paul G wrote:P.S. Just to remove any doubts, Seasonic and Nexus PSU's are not available in Australia, so I can't really get them.
Then the wrong advice:
daba wrote:Why don't you try the Seasonic Super Silencer 460W Rev A3? I have one in my rig right now and I'm very pleased with it!

Paul G

Post by Paul G » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:17 pm

Thanks Tibors for clearing that up :)

I would ship a seasonic over, but I'm a bit worried about warranty problems. It does work out a bit more expensive, but I'm happy to pay a bit more if it's much better, but if I will have to ship the item back to the US in case of problems, I'm not too keen.

The unit isn't going to be used for anything too power-hungry, it's just that I figure for longevities sake, I may as well kick in the extra $30.

I guess I'd love to hear from someone who has experience with the Enermax and the Tagan...

Plus, I don't feel like being subject to the same problems mentioned in http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... ight=tagan

Thanks for the responses guys, please keep them coming!

Paul

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:07 pm

The Zalman CAN be silent when modded. It's still very quiet in its own right, but not the quietest I've heard (as a reference, it's quieter than an Antec TruePower 550).

wim

Post by wim » Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:22 am

hm i'll sell you my seasonic (super tornado 300) if you want one of those
i've been looking for an excuse to try that antec phantom..