Laptop Hard Drives

Silencing hard drives, optical drives and other storage devices

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Camion

Laptop Hard Drives

Post by Camion » Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:37 am

I just got me a used Dell Latitude CP and boy is the drive ever loud. It is louder than any desktop I've had, even before the silent treatment. Does anybody know about quiet drives for these buggers? Thanks

fancontrol

Post by fancontrol » Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:26 am

Some of the folks at work have those clanky laptops; I know what you mean.

I got a Hitachi 10G from Fry's for cheap about a year ago. It's hooked to my SBC, taped to the wall of my office, and makes very little noise.

I don't know if the pinout is right for that laptop.

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Wed Mar 19, 2003 4:12 am

I replaced the IBM dive in my Dell laptop with a Toshiba and a Fujitsu drive. They're both waaay quieter than the IBM and the Fujitsu's a little quieter than the Toshiba on seeks. I don't know the model numbers, they're both 20GB drives.

IceFire
Friend of SPCR

Post by IceFire » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:39 am

I notice something last night. My dell notebook went toast on me, so I got a USB 2.0 2.5" external case for the drive so I can use it for my desktop. When the drive was in my notebook, it made a lot of noise. Now, it is silent and I didn't even put the cover on or screw it in yet. Does anyone have any idea on why? Is it because USB 2 is slower than the IDE so it is writing/reading slower?

Mark Larson

Post by Mark Larson » Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:13 am

My IBM DJSA-220 20GB drive was loud as all hell, but ever since i got a Hitachi Travelstar one its been blissful silence with muted seeks. I'm happy :D

Tore

Post by Tore » Mon Mar 24, 2003 6:13 am

IceFire wrote:I notice something last night. My dell notebook went toast on me, so I got a USB 2.0 2.5" external case for the drive so I can use it for my desktop. When the drive was in my notebook, it made a lot of noise. Now, it is silent and I didn't even put the cover on or screw it in yet. Does anyone have any idea on why? Is it because USB 2 is slower than the IDE so it is writing/reading slower?
I'm pretty sure the RPM and other stuff is constant no matter what interface you use. 4200 RPM is normal for laptop HDs. Probably the laptop case strengthend the vibration noise a lot.